Travelling to Italy

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I posted on this forum back in early December asking for advice about a first-timers trip to Italy this coming summer and gratefully received really helpful replies especially from Dianne and Tim. Following the advice given, we duly booked a Eurotunnel crossing and a two week stay at Camping La Riva in Lombardy. I then booked for an overnight stay at Camping Chenefleur,near Luxembourg only to find out when they sent through the confirmation yesterday that the overnight would cost _50! This included a quite incredible @17 'Reservation fee'. I have cancelled this. The other overnight I tried to book was at Camping Acasias at Cernay but despite two e-mails to them have not yet received a reply. Is it necessary to book for journey overnights, or should we just chance finding somewhere.

Also there are so many various routes to Italy it's hard to know for first-timers which one to choose. Anyway, advice, as ever gratefully recived and juast the warning about reservation fees.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Advance booking will depend upon when are you travelling. I have never booked anywhere at all in over 30 years and never failed to find aplace at first attempt, but have been fortunate not to have to travel in the hight of the summer. I would think you should be ok at least until mid July and even after that I would be inclined to chance it providing you have one or two options and dont leave it too late in the day before you start looking.

Dae

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alistair

We always have to holiday in the high season and always book sites for our main stays. For overnight we very rarely book and are usually OK. It is a good idea though to have one or two sites to go for. As for a site near Luxembourg, then you might consider this one.... Camping Officiel near Arlon just into Belgium. It is used for overnights but there are some statics also. There is a pool (but a bit old) and a restaurant on site and it is very easy to find at aout 3 miles off the main A4 / E25 motorway at exit 31. The full details are in the Caravan Club sites book number 2. This link may help,

http://www.campingofficielarlon.be/
As for the route to Italy it would depend where you are aiming for, but I prefer the German/Austrian route via the Brenner Pass, which is a very easy motorway but can be busy at weekends. Please ask if you would like more details, and have a good trip.

Happy travels BarryB

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi Alistair

We always have to holiday in the high season and always book sites for our main stays. For overnight we very rarely book and are usually OK. It is a good idea though to have one or two sites to go for. As for a site near Luxembourg, then you might consider this one.... Camping Officiel near Arlon just into Belgium. It is used for overnights but there are some statics also. There is a pool (but a bit old) and a restaurant on site and it is very easy to find at aout 3 miles off the main A4 / E25 motorway at exit 31. The full details are in the Caravan Club sites book number 2. This link may help,

http://www.campingofficielarlon.be/
As for the route to Italy it would depend where you are aiming for, but I prefer the German/Austrian route via the Brenner Pass, which is a very easy motorway but can be busy at weekends. Please ask if you would like more details, and have a good trip.

Happy travels BarryB
Barry,

Many thanks for this. Yes, I'd be very grateful to receive more details of this route. We're headed to Camping La Riva on Lake Como. Booked there for a two week stay.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Alistair

I was flattered to note that you had "taken onboard" 3 of my recommendations for your visit to Italy.

Certainly when we stayed at Camping Chenefleur in 2006, when we broke down nearby travelling north, and in 2007 when travelling south, we only phoned ahead just before we arrived. There was a choice of excellent pitches on both occasions. Fred the Dutch owner is a lovely man and he EXTREMELY helpful when we broke down, twice, in the area in 2006. He will probably remember us - Tim and Cary Irwin with the twin-axle caravan who arrived with the caravan towed behind the breakdown truck twice!!! - feel free to mention our names.

Camping Acasias will be closed for the winter (open April to October according to CC's "Caravan Europe") but, again, when we stayed there whilst travelling south in 2006, we just phoned ahead on our day of arrival. There was loads of space. The wardens at that time, although very helpful, only spoke French!!

As I probably said in your previous thread we rarely book, apart from phoning on our day of arrival, although, as teachers, we only travel in late July/August. We have rarely not found a pitch in France, Belgium, Italy or Germany. In addition we have often overnighted at autoroute aires in France.

We stayed at Camping La Riva for 2+ weeks in 2006 - we did book that as it was our first visit to Italy.

I would recommend the route I suggested previously of the free autoroutes through France, Belgium, Luxembourg and France and then the N66 from near Nancy followed by Switzerland's autoroutes and then through the St Gotthard Tunnel. We went over the St Gotthard Pass the first time as the traffic queues for the Tunnel were very long. The pass was a very towable road with a good carraigeway. It was gentle hairpins up and down with a flat "plateau" section in between. The autoroute from the St Gotthard tunnel/pass brings one very close to Como, at the southern end of Lake Como. It is autoroute all the way, apart from the N66 "leg" and the dual-carraigeway along Lake Como. One does have to buy autoroute vignettes for car AND caravan to use the Swiss autoroutes but that does include using the St Gotthard Tunnel. I don't know if you are aware that the St Gotthard at 13 miles long is the longest road tunnel in Europe!!

From Como there is an excellent dual carraigeway along the EASTERN shore of the Lake nearly all the way to Camping La Riva. I would strongly recommend against using the road on the minor road along the western shore. Although it appears to be a shorter route to Camping La Riva, which is on the North Western shore of Lake Como, this road is VERY narrow through some of the village and not really suitable for towing.

Another warning against La Riva is to beware of the squally storms that the site can suffer from. In 2006 we were in the middle of taking down our awning because of an expected storm when the storm arrived "early" and blew our awning onto the caravan roof. Don't let that put you off, however, as we had a super time there.

Sorry if I've repeated any of what I said in your previous thread. I imagine you have looked at my reviews of the 3 above sites on ukcampsite.co.uk.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions if you post again. We loved Italy and I'm sure you'll have a super time.

Best wishes.

Tim

G

Hi Alistair

I was flattered to note that you had "taken onboard" 3 of my recommendations for your visit to Italy.

Certainly when we stayed at Camping Chenefleur in 2006, when we broke down nearby travelling north, and in 2007 when travelling south, we only phoned ahead just before we arrived. There was a choice of excellent pitches on both occasions. Fred the Dutch owner is a lovely man and he EXTREMELY helpful when we broke down, twice, in the area in 2006. He will probably remember us - Tim and Cary Irwin with the twin-axle caravan who arrived with the caravan towed behind the breakdown truck twice!!! - feel free to mention our names.

Camping Acasias will be closed for the winter (open April to October according to CC's "Caravan Europe") but, again, when we stayed there whilst travelling south in 2006, we just phoned ahead on our day of arrival. There was loads of space. The wardens at that time, although very helpful, only spoke French!!

As I probably said in your previous thread we rarely book, apart from phoning on our day of arrival, although, as teachers, we only travel in late July/August. We have rarely not found a pitch in France, Belgium, Italy or Germany. In addition we have often overnighted at autoroute aires in France.

We stayed at Camping La Riva for 2+ weeks in 2006 - we did book that as it was our first visit to Italy.

I would recommend the route I suggested previously of the free autoroutes through France, Belgium, Luxembourg and France and then the N66 from near Nancy followed by Switzerland's autoroutes and then through the St Gotthard Tunnel. We went over the St Gotthard Pass the first time as the traffic queues for the Tunnel were very long. The pass was a very towable road with a good carraigeway. It was gentle hairpins up and down with a flat "plateau" section in between. The autoroute from the St Gotthard tunnel/pass brings one very close to Como, at the southern end of Lake Como. It is autoroute all the way, apart from the N66 "leg" and the dual-carraigeway along Lake Como. One does have to buy autoroute vignettes for car AND caravan to use the Swiss autoroutes but that does include using the St Gotthard Tunnel. I don't know if you are aware that the St Gotthard at 13 miles long is the longest road tunnel in Europe!!

From Como there is an excellent dual carraigeway along the EASTERN shore of the Lake nearly all the way to Camping La Riva. I would strongly recommend against using the road on the minor road along the western shore. Although it appears to be a shorter route to Camping La Riva, which is on the North Western shore of Lake Como, this road is VERY narrow through some of the village and not really suitable for towing.

Another warning against La Riva is to beware of the squally storms that the site can suffer from. In 2006 we were in the middle of taking down our awning because of an expected storm when the storm arrived "early" and blew our awning onto the caravan roof. Don't let that put you off, however, as we had a super time there.

Sorry if I've repeated any of what I said in your previous thread. I imagine you have looked at my reviews of the 3 above sites on ukcampsite.co.uk.

I'll be happy to answer any specific questions if you post again. We loved Italy and I'm sure you'll have a super time.

Best wishes.

Tim
St Gotthards tunnel is actually 16km long, which is a hairs breath shot of 10 miles actually.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alistair

When are you due at Camping La Riva?...We are booked in there from 1st August to 12th August. We have not been to this site before but we have used the St. Gotthard Tunnel several times. Only once did we go 'straight through'. On other occasions we have been held up by nearly two hours. So it is not a route I prefer. The Austrian / German route I feel is a little to far to the East to then have to come back towards Milan to get to Lake Como. So to avoid the Gotthard I am going to use the San Bernadino tunnel, which is to the east of the Gotthard. We shall cross into Switzerland near Basel and head towards Zurich then just miss Liechtenstein as we head south passing Chur. This route will then join up at Bellinzona with the Gotthard route. From here it is south to Como across to Lecco and up the East side of the lake to the site. Have you checked the distances? I think you will find it is about 450 miles from Luxembourg to the site and for me this is too much in one day. Calais to the site is about 700 miles, which is possible in 2 days. We are not going straight to La Riva (we have a few days on the Rhine first). If I were, I would cross to France and travel about 100 miles for the first night, leaving say 350 miles to do the next day and about 250 to get to the site. It does depend of course where your home is and how much time you have. Hope this is of use and please ask if you want more or other details.

Happy travels BarryB

G

Barry. Now that alternative is one route as yet I have not done.

I for one would love to hear what you make of that route,and also from chur there are alternative routes that can take you to the top of lake Como, instead of going by belinzona [belinzona is worth a day trip for the local castles perched above it]one route passes close to st moritz am not entirely sure how caravan friendly it is,again would like to know if anyone has done it. The other goes by the splugen pass, which i believe may not be a route for caravans.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Me

Yes you are right about the length of the St Gotthard Tunnel - it is 10, not 13, miles long. I don't know why I said 13 as I know it's 10 really. Perhaps it's because I'm no lover of tunnels and it seems longer to me!!!

Regarding routes to La Riva from the northern end of Lake Como. When we stayed at La Riva in 2006 we had a solo drive from La Riva up to Maloja, sightseeing. As far as I recollect the road from Chiavenna to Maloja was hilly with a number of hairpins. It was, however, of good quality and "towable" with care. Travelling that way from Chur would involve negotiating the Julier Pass. The CC's "Caravan Europe" says of the Julier "Well engineered road, negotiable by caravans, preferably, from N to S but a long haul and many tight hairpins." "CE" mentions the Albula rail tunnel from Thusis to Samedan as an alternative.

You are correct too about the Splugen Pass. "Caravan Europe" says "not recommended for caravans" commenting "Mostly narrow winding road with extremely tight hairpin bends; not well guarded; care also required at many tunnels/galleries." One to avoid when towing I think!!!!

Regards

Tim

G

Cheers Tim, really need to get around to exploring that part of the world,keep meaning to,but....

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I can't understand it, I am not normally lucky, but I have never had to wait at the St Gothard tunnel, I have always just sailed straight through.

Steve W

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Barry,

Thanks for this. We're booked at La Riva from Saturday August 7th for two weeks. We're setting off from home in Sussex on Wednesday 4th so using 3 overnights to get down to Lake Como. I think I need thereforem to take th easiest route even if this is rather longer than others. As a first-timer the idea of steep ascents/declines and tight hairpins is not filling me or my wife/navigator with glee. So thanks once again.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alister

Might I suggest an alternative route which might be a bit longer but certainly on the way to your destination would avoid any major inclines/narrow roads. When we went to Italy last year we used the Tunnel de Frejus (expensive!) as our first stop was Lake Maggiore. However it could esily be used en route to Lake Como which was our next stop. Its a gentle run up to the tunnel and a nice Municipal in St Jean de Maurienne before you get to the tunnel as a possible last overnight. Once through the tunnel and in Italy its downhill all the way. Follow the motorway to Milan and then head north through Monza to Lecco and along the eastern side of the the lake (dual carriageway) to La Riva at Sorico. Would not suggest towing on the western side of the lake road as its quite narrow in places and scary enough solo!

David

TRENDING THREADS