Travelling to Loire through Rouen or Tours/Le Mans

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi

I would be grateful if anyone could recommend a route that doesn't involve the centre of Paris. We are travelling to Parc des Alicourts in Pierrefitte sur Sauldre, Loire in August. It has been suggested that to bypass Paris, we go through Rouen or Tour/Le Mans. Does anyone have any suggestions for a route with the caravan that doesn't take a massive detour. We are going Dover-Calais. Looking forward to some suggestions. Thanks.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I'm a little lost as to where your ideas are coming from Carolyn.

Rouen and Le Mans - Tours are an easy lovely relaxed direct drive with little traffic the vast majority of the time from Calais and with no major bottle necks and with the very new autoroute from Rouen to Le Mans rather than go out of your way via Paris.

Go to www.viamichelin.com - enter Calais as start and Tours destination and the recommended route goes nowhere near Paris.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Hi Shady Sadie

We looked on the via michelin website, and the route directs us through the centre of Paris, and in fact all the route finders direct us through the centre of Paris. I am trying to find an alternative route. It was suggested that we go through Rouen/Le Mans, and I wondered if this was the best way to go, or if in fact, there was an easier way to get to the Loire.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I don't know what you are doing when using via Michelin, if you follow the instruction I put above it does not take you via Paris as It is no lonnger the direct or best route and never has been as far as I'm concerned.

This what you should get (cut and paste this link)

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/dyn/controller/Itineraires?strStartLocid=3bMDlSRVAyMDMxMzE2U0VSUkVQMTExMGNOVEF1T1RjeU1qWTFjTVM0NE9ERXlNVEk9&strDestLocid=31NDJod24xMGNORGN1TXprd01qaz1jTUM0Mk9EZzROUT09strStartLocid=3bMDlSRVAyMDMxMzE2U0VSUkVQMTExMGNOVEF1T1RjeU1qWTFjTVM0NE9ERXlNVEk9&strDestLocid=31NDJod24xMGNORGN1TXprd01qaz1jTUM0Mk9EZzROUT09&empriseW=315&empriseH=275&intItineraryType=1&caravaneHidden=false&vh=CAR&distance=km&strVehicle=0&devise=1.0{pipedelimiter}EUR&carbCost=1.3&isAvoidFrontiers=false&isFavoriseAutoroute=false&isAvoidPeage=false&isAvoidVignette=false&isAvoidLNR=false&autoConso=6.8&villeConso=6&routeConso=5.6&dtmDeparture=14/07/2009&indemnite=0&itineraryCarType=0&itineraryFuelType=0

The route in essence is E402/A28 to Le Mans passing Amiens and Rouen and past Alencon and from LeMans E502/A28 to Tours area.

Forget any thought of Paris or Paris Centre

If I put Calais start and Tours as destination our Satnavs it gives E402 / E502, takes me nowhere near Paris.

It virtually Dual Carriageway/Motorway from leaving Calais Ferry port until you get to Tours without any Paris hassle.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I don't know what you are doing when using via Michelin, if you follow the instruction I put above it does not take you via Paris as It is no lonnger the direct or best route and never has been as far as I'm concerned.

This what you should get (cut and paste this link)

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/int/dyn/controller/Itineraires?strStartLocid=3bMDlSRVAyMDMxMzE2U0VSUkVQMTExMGNOVEF1T1RjeU1qWTFjTVM0NE9ERXlNVEk9&strDestLocid=31NDJod24xMGNORGN1TXprd01qaz1jTUM0Mk9EZzROUT09strStartLocid=3bMDlSRVAyMDMxMzE2U0VSUkVQMTExMGNOVEF1T1RjeU1qWTFjTVM0NE9ERXlNVEk9&strDestLocid=31NDJod24xMGNORGN1TXprd01qaz1jTUM0Mk9EZzROUT09&empriseW=315&empriseH=275&intItineraryType=1&caravaneHidden=false&vh=CAR&distance=km&strVehicle=0&devise=1.0{pipedelimiter}EUR&carbCost=1.3&isAvoidFrontiers=false&isFavoriseAutoroute=false&isAvoidPeage=false&isAvoidVignette=false&isAvoidLNR=false&autoConso=6.8&villeConso=6&routeConso=5.6&dtmDeparture=14/07/2009&indemnite=0&itineraryCarType=0&itineraryFuelType=0

The route in essence is E402/A28 to Le Mans passing Amiens and Rouen and past Alencon and from LeMans E502/A28 to Tours area.

Forget any thought of Paris or Paris Centre

If I put Calais start and Tours as destination our Satnavs it gives E402 / E502, takes me nowhere near Paris.

It virtually Dual Carriageway/Motorway from leaving Calais Ferry port until you get to Tours without any Paris hassle.
whoops. forum engine messed up and spread long ling across the screen

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carolyn

From Calais head to Rouen at Rouen take the N154 to Evereaux continue on road past Druex, Chatres to Orleans.

At Orleans take the A71 south there you will find your campsite and have not gone through Paris.

We did this route a few years ago, its about 300 miles give or take 20 each side from memory.

If you've got your french mapbook have a look and follow the route.

Hope this helps you.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carolyn

From Calais head to Rouen at Rouen take the N154 to Evereaux continue on road past Druex, Chatres to Orleans.

At Orleans take the A71 south there you will find your campsite and have not gone through Paris.

We did this route a few years ago, its about 300 miles give or take 20 each side from memory.

If you've got your french mapbook have a look and follow the route.

Hope this helps you.
PS Forgot to say Calais to Le manns alone is about 260 miles and if you continue to tours that's 330 miles. Done that aswell.

Good luck

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
Do this journey via Paris and the mileage is 293 miles plus a huge wedge of money in tolls. Go via Rouen and it's 7 miles longer and about 15 Euros in tolls. I don't understand why Tours and Le Mans are mentioned. You don't go anywhere near those two places. Maybe there's some confusion with all the other Pierrefittes in France. From Calais you need to head to Boulogne, Abbeville, Rouen, Evreux, Chartres and Orleans.

TRENDING THREADS