tremmer

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Reactions: thomas_374576025
Nov 11, 2009
Most of the newer digital cameras have auto stabilisation which helps a lot.
Another thought is to use a tripod or monopod to make the camera as steady as possible.

My favourite small camera is the Samsung the same as this one:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-WB250F-Camera-Built-Connectivity/dp/B00AXVYJGM/ref=sr_1_18?qid=1583960001&refinements=p_4:Samsung&s=photo&sr=1-18

although I do have a Cannon DSLR for more studio work.
I have an early model Samsung WB and it still works brilliantly and it’s Schneider wide angle lens is great for shots where you can’t get back far enough. It has auto stabilise. I’ve also got a small Lumix TZ 80 which has LCD flat screen and also a viewfinder. It has high optical magnification so the viewfinder is useful to counter my “ essential tremor” in my right hand. Who called it an Essential Tremor beats me. No jokes about “Do you drink much?” please.

• Sad
Oct 8, 2006
The TZ80 is about as good as you can get at a reasonable price. If you want something better get a TZ100 which has a 1" sensor but only 10x optical zoom, or even a TZ200 which is the same but has a 15x optical zoom.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Hi Thomas
Depending on your budget, there are entry level SLR cameras from most manufacturers from around £500 new or less if buying a used model.
Bridge cameras are less complex to use than DSLR models and are less expensive and some compact digital cameras such as Panasonic Lumix are available for around £200, these also have some advanced features and anti-shake technology.
It might be best to go along to a branch of Curry's / P C World or similar to handle the various camera bodies and to compare prices and features to discover what suits you best.
If you're taking photographs without a tripod or mono pod, find something to lean against to get a steady shot, this technique will aid the anti-shake built in camera technology for good results.

Nov 11, 2009
I would agree with Parksy that a DSLR or Bridge might better help. I’ve got a LUMIX DMC FZ200 Bridge which I bought for wildlife shots whilst on the move. It’s now been superseded but it’s still brilliant. Much steadier when held than either my Samsung or TZ80 but of course a bit bulkier.

Jan 19, 2002
Whatever camera you buy they will have a common tripod bush, so there are several steadying devices available. For convenience I have a 'Pod' which has an off centre tripod screw to suit may camera. I also have a 'gorilla pod' which has the screw and three flexible legs (about 6" long' that can be poised to fit various objects, but fits easily in a pocket. There are also some dedicated 'camera bean bags' or if someone is handy with a sewing machine it would be easy to make your own similar.
You could also look for a camera with a 10 sec delay - so you set up the camera with the shutter delay then you are not handling the camera as it 'fires'. Also a trad way to get yourself in the picture selfie style!
Enjoy your photography!

Nov 11, 2009
Whatever camera you buy they will have a common tripod bush, so there are several steadying devices available. For convenience I have a 'Pod' which has an off centre tripod screw to suit may camera. I also have a 'gorilla pod' which has the screw and three flexible legs (about 6" long' that can be poised to fit various objects, but fits easily in a pocket. There are also some dedicated 'camera bean bags' or if someone is handy with a sewing machine it would be easy to make your own similar.
You could also look for a camera with a 10 sec delay - so you set up the camera with the shutter delay then you are not handling the camera as it 'fires'. Also a trad way to get yourself in the picture selfie style!
Enjoy your photography!
Shutter delay is a good way if the subject stays still. But trying to persuade wildlife to do that can be a challenge 🤭 I went to northern Spain looking for wolves and a friend lent me something akin to a rifle butt handle with an extension that you screwed the camera to. Never again. You can’t believe the hassle at Stanstead and Valallodid. But I did get some nice photos of wolves.

TBH, I have got out of the habit of carrying a camera around as a good smart phone has a camera suitable for my needs, why carry both?

I accept that good DSLR cameras score from both full framing and the quality of the lens, but if you are only happy snapping, the phone should work well enough. You can get a cheap enough grip type tripod of Amazon for a mobile phone.

If you really must go down the DSLR route, why not look on Fleabay where you may get all the kit in one go as a decent used bargain.

Somewhere at home I have a Nikkon Coolpix 600, fixed lens/zoom, and in all honesty its utter garbage. Damn thing goes into standy at the most inopportune moments meaning I often miss the best shots with it. That whole series is one to avoid.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts