Tripping!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We arrived on site yesterday and used the air fryer last night which is rated at 1400w no issues, but when switching on 1800-2200w kettle afterwards, the mains tripped. Every time we switched on the kettle after about 15-20 seconds, the mains tripped. Load monitor is set to 10amp so if exceeding that value the hot water heating shuts down. Can't remember what I did, but eventually we were able to boil the water in the kettle. I have no idea of the amps allowed on the pitch.

This morning with heating and hot water switched off, the kettle still trips the mains. When switching on 800w microwave it trips the mains and that is with hot water heating switched off. I initially thought that maybe there was an issue with the kettle, but now I have my doubts.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Is it tripping the MCBs in the caravan or the site bollard - the caravan may have separate circuits with MCBs set lower than 16A.

Perhaps a low wattage kettle might be more appropriate.

Reactions: Beardy
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Is it tripping the MCBs in the caravan or the site bollard - the caravan may have separate circuits with MCBs set lower than 16A.

Perhaps a low wattage kettle might be more appropriate.
Site bollard. We have been using the same kettle from Tesco for a couple of months and it is still under warranty. Doesn't explain why microwave also trips bollard?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Site bollard. We have been using the same kettle from Tesco for a couple of months and it is still under warranty. Doesn't explain why microwave also trips bollard?
Maybe the site supply is only 10 amps? If you can see the MCBs in the bollard you could check that as they'll be marked with their rating.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think this is a case of switch everything OFF, and go through individual items until finding the one that trips the bollard.
Remember, with everything switched off, the PSU is powered, so if you are on a 10 amp supply, you don't really have a lot of power to play around with.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Maybe the site supply is only 10 amps? If you can see the MCBs in the bollard you could check that as they'll be marked with their rating.
This time I used my reading specs to check. The bollard has only one single trip switch. Also it has a digital readout and I could not see any rating? The only figure that I could see with an "A" after the number was "5 JA"? I think I will speak with reception when they open later as 5amp if rather low if that is the rating.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
An 800watt microwave draws about 1400watts from the supply
800watts is the output power🤔
Several of the sites we use are limited to 6amps so we have a low wattage kettle only 900watts.

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I think this is a case of switch everything OFF, and go through individual items until finding the one that trips the bollard.
Remember, with everything switched off, the PSU is powered, so if you are on a 10 amp supply, you don't really have a lot of power to play around with.
Thanks. Tried that and kettle still trips mains after awhile. Same with microwave. What I have found out is that after 2 - 3 attempts at switching back the bollard back on, we can boil the kettle, but if you then go to use the microwave afterwards, bollard trips again. I am now getting more and more convinced that there is an issue with the bollard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Buckman, if it is Back of Beyond it is only 10 amp supply, found it suprising on such a site but we just had to be careful, I also think it varies from pitch to pitch.

Oct 19, 2023
Visit site
This time I used my reading specs to check. The bollard has only one single trip switch. Also it has a digital readout and I could not see any rating? The only figure that I could see with an "A" after the number was "5 JA"? I think I will speak with reception when they open later as 5amp if rather low if that is the rating.
A photo of the bollard might help us determine what is in there. The only thing I'd expect to see with a digital display would be an electric meter.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Problem solves and our fault. Between the last time we visited and now they downgraded from 16amp to 10amp. Went to Davan caravans and bought a Swiss Lux 1000w kettle. However still not too sure why microwave tripped, but it is a Daewoo and probably went Woo Woo! :D

TRENDING THREADS