Troubles with sliding table.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
On the front chest of drawers, my caravan has the fairly common type of table top which can be used single or slid out and the top layer flipped backwards towards the window to create a double sized table. In the past couple of months, I have noticed that whereas when folded the two surfaces sat neatly face to face, creating no pressure on the piano-type hinge at the back, there has been an increasing gap between the surfaces at the front edge and the continue use of the folded table is therefore loading up the piano hinge when the gap is forced closed. The gap is currently about a quarter of an inch at the front.
I have been over the surfaces of the table with a straight edge and find that the trouble lies on the underside of the upper panel, where in an area towards the back there is a slight bulging occurring, and as this bulging area coincides with the upper surface of the folded panel in the position where my
laptop has habitually stood for very extended periods over the last few months, I think it is possible that the heat generated has effected the table top with the conducted heat not being able to escape from between the folded panels. I am rather surprised with this as I always thought that caravan furniture of this sort was made with an inert composition type material that would only react to moisture. Anyway, other than trying to source a replacement, new or second hand, does anyone have any good ideas for reversing this situation (which I don't really believe is possible !!) and in the meantime, be warned !!

Apr 25, 2006
Visit site
Not sure what make of caravan that you are refering to but we had this happen on a Bailey Senator Series 6. But unlike you we had not placed anything that generated heat on it. Never worried and it caused no further mroblems in the 4 years we owned the caravan.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi tj_4. Thanks for your reply. The van is an Ace Supreme 2007 and has never been a problem until this last winter when the temperature was a bit blistering sometimes at our location in Spain - so much so that the sun through the window caused my laptop ( in its location as described above !!!!!) to shut down once. . I'll watch it for a bit and see if it gets worse now we're getting back towards cooler climes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts