Truma Crystal Water systems

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Truma Crystal fitted to my caravan. There are two "security clips" that are supposed to hold the pump connection in place in it's socket on the side of the 'van. The bottom clip has become loose and the pump assembly no longer forms a proper seal. Anyway of tightening the clip. I get a major leak around the socket whenever the pump activates. Basically I think I'm suffering from poor design - yet again!!!

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Chris,

I assume that these clips are like a steel band with a crimped region where the tensioning was applied?

You stand no chance of retensioning these clips yourself - they are a one shot clip - so your best bet is to remove the clip and replace with a stainless steel pipe clip, the type with a screw adjuster on the side.

You may want to carefully check the Crystal components, the reason for the loss of tension in the clip may be a broken plastic pipe underneath.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Do you mean the two small plastic levers that rotate to lock the connection? If so this is another Carver failure I can anticipate. In my opinion the Carver water system is worthless because:

1. Water pumped from a jerry can in the front locker doesn't pass through the filter...

2. UK water, and continental water is clean, extra filtration does not help.

3. If not replaced at three week intervals the filter will contaminate the water

4. Filter element replacement is too expensive.

5. If only slightly over tightened the filter housing will break.

I have dumped the filter element, sawn off the inner end of the housing and added a new water hose using quick disconnect fittings and a simple on-off tap, all fitting neatly inside the original filter housing. The original plug is still used for the electrical connection

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And another reason why I am not fond of Carver - they use non standard fittings. In event of a pump failure the caravan owner is forced to buy an expensive replacment from them.

Aug 25, 2005
Visit site
mike do you have any pitures of the adaption sounds very interesting as my bottom clip just snapped off & have the leak problem now as well as the over tight filter housing jeez how lucky am I? Anyway would like to see what you have done may convert myself cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have you tried swapping them over to see if its the clip or the housing that's at fault.

They can be pulled out and dealers sell replacements.

It may be that you need a new O-ring which again is available.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
mike do you have any pitures of the adaption sounds very interesting as my bottom clip just snapped off & have the leak problem now as well as the over tight filter housing jeez how lucky am I? Anyway would like to see what you have done may convert myself cheers
Firesmudge, sorry, no digital camera, no pictures. The repair sounds complicated but it is very simple. My caravan uses 12mm plastic tubing and quick detach (qd) fittings throughout and has two external connection points, on the side and one in the front locker. Looking at the filter housing, from inside the caravan, it tapers down to a 12mm spigot. The spigot is the connection point for the water tube and is also a check valve to prevent water being pumped out if a tank in the forward locker is used.

I disconnected the 12mm tube and using a small hacksaw removed the spigot so a hole slightly larger than 12 mm remained in the housing. Took a 20cm length of 12mm tube, using simple jubilee clips added a small on-off tap and quick release fitting close together on one end. The other end is poked through the filter to join the existing tube inside, any suitable connection can be used. I removed the blue hose from the Crystal fitting and again with jubilee e clip fitted a short piece of 12mm tube to the blue tube so it can now connect to the qd fitting on the caravan side.

To use the Crystal connector in the front locker it will need adapting in the same way using the same type of tube and qd fitting.

The electrical connection is not changed for the time being, but should that break it will be replaced by a suitable plug and socket.

The 12mm water tube and qd fittings are available at caravan/camping shops.

A photo would have been much easier

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can buy all plastic (nylon) hose clips from CAK Tanks and others which will not rust - ideal for the pump to hose connection on submersibles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts