Truma Trumatic S3002 heating controls.

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
I have a Tribute T 720 motorhome; and I have this problem with the heater which when set at the highest setting on the electric side works fine until it cuts out on reaching the maximum temperature. The problem is; that once it has cut out; it will not start again; even when the van cools down. The only way to start it; is to turn the controls off for several minute and then turning them on again. This might be ok in spring and summer; but not so good in winter months. One suggestion is; that the control panel on the cupboard wall just over and to the left of the heater might be too close to the heater. Also the back of the control panel wiring comes in the store cupboard under the heater; with the vents coming up inside. Some say that this is the cause of the problem; and the only answer is to mover these controls. Anyone got any suggestions? Might there be other remedies? Or might the problem be totally different? I have a fan heater at the moment; but this can be noise through the night; and is not ideal; and really does defeats the propose of having an heater in the first place.

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Hi Colin, welcome to the forum.

The electric mode of any Truma Trumatic whether S3002 or S3004 is secondary and is not suitable for stand alone use in particularly cold temperatures. In this instance it must be powered by gas with the additional and optional electric heater only used to augment the 3KW power of the gas burner with a fan setting of no greater than 3 if the electric element is used at 2KW.

The optional ambient sensor isn't fitted to any Auto Trail.

The gas system can be used without the fan although it's recommended as it reduces the surface temp of the of the heater unit and distributes warm air more evenly.

Colin, Auto Trail have been locating the the electric power switch above the dinette seats for over 6 years now. If there was any concern due to overheating they would have moved it as it will have affected type approval.

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
Hi jonno
Thank you for this detailed explanation; which does seem to contradict many of the comments I have found from owners in many of the other forums I have viewed recently. In fact I was directed to this group because Dave Newell who I believe is an advisor to Practical Motorhome; has actually fitted remote sensor's. Another firm called Arc actually sells and fits the sensor. It would seem that there are two devices behind the fire that can be replaced to solve the problem. Also when I spoke about the issue to Danum Leisure who I bought the motorhome from back in 2013; they said it was a common problem; because of the situating of the thermostat; and the wiring in the locker being just above the heat vents. Their idea at the time was that one might try buying an electric box from B and Q and fit it over the wiring in the cupboard to stop the heat reaching the rear of the thermostat. I never bothered to try it as it was Spring time and I have not used the motorhome much in winter since due to ill health. It only came to mind again when I thought of going to the lakes in February. To be honest; the heat from the electric fire was more than adequate until it cuts out. Which happens on both the 500 and 1000 setting also. It just won't kick in again unless you turn it off. It doesn't matter how cold it gets. It would be interesting to see if any one else has experienced the same problem. It seems it is not just on Autotrail; others have reported it with motorhomes from other manufacturer's.

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Colin, just thought on...

Parts #21 & #22 could be the issue.
www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-gas-fires/truma-fires/truma-ultraheat-electrical-supplementary-heater-spare-parts/temperature-control-device-ultraheat.

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-gas-fires/truma-fires/truma-ultraheat-electrical-supplementary-heater-spare-parts/temperature-limiter-ultraheat
The links also give access to the appropriate diagrams. I'd also consider relocating the control panel switch to under the belted seats.

Good luck with it.
Iain.

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
Hi Iain
Many thanks for that info; it really all fits in with the info I have found. The only thing is deciding which parts are at fault. I also found this link to the same company; which seem to add yet another part to the mix. http://www. leisureshopdirect. com/caravan/gas/product_33306/remote_sensor_truma_ultraheat. aspx
Seems like I will have to approach someone with the technical know how to sort it out. Doesn't seem like a DIY job.
It might be a while before I get around to it; but at least I know what I am dealing with now.
Many thanks Iain

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
Have just found; or have being told something I didn't know. It would seem; that when you use the electric heating; you must always use the blow air system at the same time. If you do not the heaters PCB will be damaged and will have to be replaced. This was told me by someone who has completed the Truma tech training course. He asked if I had been told this at the motorhome handover at purchase. Of course I was not aware of it; or I would have made sure that I followed this instruction. Just a warning to others who have the same system. Using electric heating without blower on will cause system to overheat and blow the PCB. (Any feed back would be gratefully received. )

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
Just had this message from Truma; which in fact corrects the information from my previous comment.

Thank you for your email, the Ultraheat can be operated as just a convector heater it will not cause damage to the PCB you do not need to have the fan operating to give you ducted warm air. If the heater is warming up but does not cut back in to heat when the temperature drops there are a number of things that we would recommend getting checked, ask your dealer/engineer to check the remote sensor is connected and hasn’t worked loose and that it is also clean and operating correctly, we would also recommend that the two small temperature stats on the base of the Ultraheat element are checked.

If there is no remote sensor fitted then you can experience the issue that you have, fitting the remote sensor should be quite simple, there are two types available one that fits in the base of the fire and one that can be fitted in the living space. Your local dealer should be able to supply you with one of these to see if this will rectify the issue for you.

Apr 3, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Colin, I was unaware. Currently sitting on a snowy Northumberland site which hasn't got above freezing all week... Blower is well and truly on...only using the 2kw Ultraheat though, we've been warm enough without using the 3kw gas.

I'm fairly confident that Auto Trail do not fit remote sensors either on a bulkhead or below the Trumatic, they are fairly noticeable being black and around 1cm in diameter.

Jan 10, 2018
Visit site
Hi Iain
It's good that your heater is working; sounds like you need it. Truma confirmed that the fire will operate without the blow air system without damaging the PCB. Still you probably need the blower. I bought a fan heater from Argos which also saves the use of the gas heating. It sounds like your van doesn't need the remote sensor; as the thermostat doesn't cut out. Truma believes the remote sensor will cure my heating problem. Anyway this is the sensor that fits under the fire.
https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/gas/caravan-gas-fires/truma-fires/trumatic-s5002-gas-heater-spare-parts/remote-sensor-truma-ultraheat
It is good to know that one can still enjoy motorhoming in the winter months. Mines going in Monday for Engine service; so I hope to be out myself shortly

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts