• Please use the Forgot Your Password option to login to your account on the new platform.

Truma ultraflow filter

Jun 6, 2012
175
0
0
While quickly looking on the truma website has anyone got the filter housing water pump, i'm just enquiring as on the website it says "the filter has a timer" and does it last for 30 days before you have to replace it. (My van already has a pistol grip connector)
 

Damian

Moderator
Mar 14, 2005
6,561
181
25,735
There are two types of Truma water inlets
One has a filter just above the pistol grip pump receptacle and the cap is a blue colour.
The second type is a simple pistol grip receptacle alone, no filter.
 
Feb 3, 2008
3,785
0
0
Abbey Owner
If you're talking about the unit I have (blue cap as Damian says) then there is a manual dial/disk surrounding the cap. You manually turn it to set the date when the filter was installed. It does not move on its own, you just have to estimate the elapsed time, at a later date, since you set the dial. Nothing clever or automatic, so "the filter has a timer" is misleading but technically correct.
 
Jun 6, 2012
175
0
0
Woodlands Camper said:
Abbey Owner
If you're talking about the unit I have (blue cap as Damian says) then there is a manual dial/disk surrounding the cap. You manually turn it to set the date when the filter was installed. It does not move on its own, you just have to estimate the elapsed time, at a later date, since you set the dial. Nothing clever or automatic, so "the filter has a timer" is misleading but technically correct.
yes it's the unit that you have and does the filter have to be replaced every 30 days only asking as I'm thinking of purchasing one for my nephew for Christmas
 

Damian

Moderator
Mar 14, 2005
6,561
181
25,735
Drinking water quality in the UK and Europe is exceptionally good.
Filters are a waste of time and money and need to be replaced very regularly otherwise they end up being breeding grounds for bacteria.
If you want to get a Truma inlet, get the one without the filter.
 
Aug 4, 2004
4,343
0
0
Damian-Moderator said:
Drinking water quality in the UK and Europe is exceptionally good.
Filters are a waste of time and money and need to be replaced very regularly otherwise they end up being breeding grounds for bacteria.
If you want to get a Truma inlet, get the one without the filter.
Damien is 100% correct. When we got our brand new caravan, the first thing we took out was the water filter. Flow of water inside the caravan improved and no issue of forgetting about it in the winter resulting in a burst pipe!
 
Nov 6, 2005
3,738
0
0
Not all sites use the public water supply as their source of fresh water for caravanners, some use their own wells.
The quality of UK public water supply is checked and maintained at the point where water enters the final supply network, there are no controls on site pipework and often no regular checks either. Site supplies will always have been used by other caravanners so you have no guarantee that all their connected hoses are in acceptable condition, nor indeed that the water point has not been used for cleaning things, like dog-soiled boots.
Whilst the general water supply in UK is excellent, it can and does get contaminated on ocasions, even at the public water supply source - it's rare but it does happen.
Regular changing of filters is vital - having seen the physical debris they collect I wouldn't dream of using a caravan without one.
 
Jun 6, 2012
175
0
0
RogerL said:
Not all sites use the public water supply as their source of fresh water for caravanners, some use their own wells.
The quality of UK public water supply is checked and maintained at the point where water enters the final supply network, there are no controls on site pipework and often no regular checks either. Site supplies will always have been used by other caravanners so you have no guarantee that all their connected hoses are in acceptable condition, nor indeed that the water point has not been used for cleaning things, like dog-soiled boots.
Whilst the general water supply in UK is excellent, it can and does get contaminated on ocasions, even at the public water supply source - it's rare but it does happen.
Regular changing of filters is vital - having seen the physical debris they collect I wouldn't dream of using a caravan without one.
ok im still not sure which one to buy him as the filter one is £54 and the normal is £23 ,but i don't need one because i sterilise my water and pipes
 
Aug 25, 2010
167
0
0
AbbeyOwner said:
ok im still not sure which one to buy him as the filter one is £54 and the normal is £23 ,but i don't need one because i sterilise my water and pipes
You might sterilise your water and pipes but do you clean the pipes. I would rather not ingest or wash in dead algae and bacteria which is all that happens with sterilisation. That said, a water filter will not prevent either, it is a crude method of removing particles from the water but not too effective at removing bacteria or viruses.
 
Jun 6, 2012
175
0
0
graham_somersham said:
AbbeyOwner said:
ok im still not sure which one to buy him as the filter one is £54 and the normal is £23 ,but i don't need one because i sterilise my water and pipes
You might sterilise your water and pipes but do you clean the pipes. I would rather not ingest or wash in dead algae and bacteria which is all that happens with sterilisation. That said, a water filter will not prevent either, it is a crude method of removing particles from the water but not too effective at removing bacteria or viruses.
Yes i clean the pipes to get rid of the grease and fat and put bleach down it, throughout my years of caravvaning i have never been ill.
 
Oct 30, 2009
1,546
0
0
Wot
Is it april the first, or has mast listeria set in!!
or is it just me!!
Abbey Owner wrote" Yes i clean the pipes to get rid of the grease and fat and put bleach
down it, throughout my years of caravvaning i have never been ill.
How do you get fat and grease in the clean water suppy, Waste maybe? but then again grease and fat should be desposed of separatly as not only does it collect in the pipes "it's a bu**er to get out of the waste hog full of cold effluent.

rogerL wrote" there are no controls
on site pipework and often no regular checks either.
true but when was your home supply last checked or the main outside your house renewed
also, ,Site supplies will
always have been used by other caravanners so you have no guarantee
that all their connected hoses are in acceptable condition, nor indeed
that the water point has not been used for cleaning things, like
dog-soiled boots.
sorry Roger but I don't see where your comming from a pipe connected to a tap at approximately 4 bars cannot contaminate the water supply only the "tap" this I would have thought was obvious
if your really picky "like me" always wipe the tap with a damp soapy cloth before connecting the filler pipe, as for cleaning boots ect same answer, although I allways thought thats what the sink was for in the laundry as this is where most seem to wash things.
graham_somersham wrote" You might sterilise your water and pipes but do you clean the pipes. I
would rather not ingest or wash in dead algae and bacteria which is all
that happens with sterilisation. That said, a water filter will not
prevent either, it is a crude method of removing particles from the
water but not too effective at removing bacteria or viruses.
I find this an odd statment!!. because after serilising!! the pipes tank ect would have been rinsed through with plenty of clean water with the filter removed, furthermore any dead algae ect, (assuming the pump and hog have also been cleaned) would be on the onboard side of the filter fitted to the water housing, so no the filter would not remove this unless a seperate inline charcoal filter was fitted under the sink, but thats a seperate issue.
I think Damian is 100% correct here and this is the reason I believe so,
1, 99.9% of all sites use mains supply, this is under pressure so no external contamintation on site is possible "boyles law and all that". the sites. that do not have mains water "we have been to 3 in 40+years of vanning had signs on the taps saying water not from mains "boil" before consuming,
2, if the van water system has been properly cleaned the only contamination could come from the water hog while it is stood at the side of the van, providing the cap is on properly and tight this should not be a problem,
3, filters can be expensive if the van is used all year @ £12 or so a throw going though 5 or 6 in a year is a nice week somewhere.
4. if you are really worried about water contamination use a seperate container just for drinking water or buy bottled water allthough the quality of this may not be as good as from the mains supply,

I don't know why all the worry over the water in the van, there is no need to, if there is anything wrong with it a filter won't help.
 
Jun 6, 2012
175
0
0
colin-yorkshire said:
Wot
Is it april the first, or has mast listeria set in!!
or is it just me!!
Abbey Owner wrote" Yes i clean the pipes to get rid of the grease and fat and put bleach
down it, throughout my years of caravvaning i have never been ill.
How do you get fat and grease in the clean water suppy, Waste maybe? but then again grease and fat should be desposed of separatly as not only does it collect in the pipes "it's a bu**er to get out of the waste hog full of cold effluent.

rogerL wrote" there are no controls
on site pipework and often no regular checks either.
true but when was your home supply last checked or the main outside your house renewed
also, ,Site supplies will
always have been used by other caravanners so you have no guarantee
that all their connected hoses are in acceptable condition, nor indeed
that the water point has not been used for cleaning things, like
dog-soiled boots.
sorry Roger but I don't see where your comming from a pipe connected to a tap at approximately 4 bars cannot contaminate the water supply only the "tap" this I would have thought was obvious
if your really picky "like me" always wipe the tap with a damp soapy cloth before connecting the filler pipe, as for cleaning boots ect same answer, although I allways thought thats what the sink was for in the laundry as this is where most seem to wash things.
graham_somersham wrote" You might sterilise your water and pipes but do you clean the pipes. I
would rather not ingest or wash in dead algae and bacteria which is all
that happens with sterilisation. That said, a water filter will not
prevent either, it is a crude method of removing particles from the
water but not too effective at removing bacteria or viruses.
I find this an odd statment!!. because after serilising!! the pipes tank ect would have been rinsed through with plenty of clean water with the filter removed, furthermore any dead algae ect, (assuming the pump and hog have also been cleaned) would be on the onboard side of the filter fitted to the water housing, so no the filter would not remove this unless a seperate inline charcoal filter was fitted under the sink, but thats a seperate issue.
I think Damian is 100% correct here and this is the reason I believe so,
1, 99.9% of all sites use mains supply, this is under pressure so no external contamintation on site is possible "boyles law and all that". the sites. that do not have mains water "we have been to 3 in 40+years of vanning had signs on the taps saying water not from mains "boil" before consuming,
2, if the van water system has been properly cleaned the only contamination could come from the water hog while it is stood at the side of the van, providing the cap is on properly and tight this should not be a problem,
3, filters can be expensive if the van is used all year @ £12 or so a throw going though 5 or 6 in a year is a nice week somewhere.
4. if you are really worried about water contamination use a seperate container just for drinking water or buy bottled water allthough the quality of this may not be as good as from the mains supply,

I don't know why all the worry over the water in the van, there is no need to, if there is anything wrong with it a filter won't help.
at the end of the day no one has felt ill over the years of caravanning I've had.
 
Oct 30, 2009
1,546
0
0
AbbeyOwner said:
at the end of the day no one has felt ill over the years of caravanning I've had.
exactly so you have answered your own question ?? (post no7) the point is if you do have a filter it has to be changed regulary if you don.t have one it not the end of the world, the chances are that any contamination found will have been caused by the filter.
 

Parksy

Moderator
Nov 12, 2009
10,230
152
40,735
Just as a matter of interest I wonder how many caravanners drink the water directly from their caravans water system?
Myself and my o/h both take various tablets first thing in the morning and last thing at night and these are taken with water.
Although our caravan water system including the Aquaroll and onboard water storage tank are sterilised regularly and the system is drained after every trip we never drink the water.
At the start of each year we buy a couple of bottles of water from the supermarket, we then save the empty bottles and fill them before we set out from our kitchen tap. This means that our medication is always taken with water from home.
We keep a spare bottle to refill from the site tap for tea and coffee, although one of these days I might buy one of those posh water filter jugs.
Do any of you drink the water that has been in the caravan pipework?
 
Nov 6, 2005
3,738
0
0
We use the caravan taps as if we were at home - so drink it, cook in it and wash in it - that's why I use a well maintained filter and sterilise the system twice a year, which means temporarily removing the filter element.
I can quite understand that those who only drink bottled water would see no need for filters.
 

Parksy

Moderator
Nov 12, 2009
10,230
152
40,735
Our caravan has never had a filter but even if it had I don't think that we'd drink from the system because our drinking water is cold. We use it for washing /showering and washing up though
 

Damian

Moderator
Mar 14, 2005
6,561
181
25,735
We use the caravan water system just the same as at home, no filter.
I do sterilise the system at the start of the season and never leave water in the pipework when the van is not in use.
Mains water contains Chlorine and keeps the system clean anyway.
Never had any ill effects
 
Jun 6, 2012
175
0
0
Damian-Moderator said:
We use the caravan water system just the same as at home, no filter.
I do sterilise the system at the start of the season and never leave water in the pipework when the van is not in use.
Mains water contains Chlorine and keeps the system clean anyway.
Never had any ill effects
I've sometimes drank from the caravan water never ever felt ill.
 
Sep 14, 2019
1
0
0
I have a truma water filter on my caravan. Its the one with a blue dial and two inlet points for barrel and shower.
I dont want to spend the £11 each 35 days and the bother of changing the filter. I can use my own internal 'safer' water ( a kettle and bottled water) if the caravan site drinking water is suspect

A the moment i only change the filter every 6 months. Some say that is worst thing to do because harmful stuff accumulates in the filter

Is it easy enough to just take it out or can you just keep it in there and and not change it. Or do you have to replace the whole unit with a non filter unit ?

Is there any way you can take out the filter
 
Nov 11, 2009
6,951
282
25,935
I’ve removed mine from each caravan. Site water in UK and most of Europe is invariably good standard and so out came the filter. Mine had the push fit connectors so when it was removed I just added a section of flexible drinking water pipe with new connectors.
 
Apr 13, 2009
216
0
0
Only problem we've had with the Ultraflow is splits in the plastic barrel in which the pistol is inserted. One new one last June and now again that we are waiting for a replacement under warranty. Always lube the pistol, can't understand why this happens? I take meds too, morning and evenings, No ill effects for me so far.
 
Jul 18, 2017
619
7
1,885
TerryIvybridge said:
Only problem we've had with the Ultraflow is splits in the plastic barrel in which the pistol is inserted. One new one last June and now again that we are waiting for a replacement under warranty. Always lube the pistol, can't understand why this happens? I take meds too, morning and evenings, No ill effects for me so far.
We had three replaced under warranty. We then bought the Whale equivalent and no more issues. Unfortunately the Whale equivalent does not fit our new caravan so it is lying in the shed doing nothing until I get around to putting it onto www.preloved.co.uk . :)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts