Truma Ultraheat 500w only problem

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a Bailey Pageant Champagne 2005 model, beautiful van with an issue that seems to affect lots... 500w heat only! I've read lots of info already and things are leading to the PCB on it. Here's what I have done/checked so far:

I've replaced the switch with a new one I had spare, not fixed the prob. When I turn between 500/1000/2000w I can hear the relays clicking in and out, and also the thermostat clicks in and out nicely. Both elements warm up nicely on 500w but go cold on 1000/2000w. Just in case, I soldered in a new relay to the 2000w socket but this made no difference.

I'm guessing the heat element works ok as both elements do warm up, and the switch works fine so is it this troublesome PCB that is the issue? I noticed that there is a little transformer on there too so could this be slightly dead?

Many thanks!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Firstly the transformer will be ok if the relays are clicking and you have a green control light. You need to change all 3 relays, they are arranged to give a parallel or series connection to the elements.
1 2000w = both elements in parallel, 2 1000w = 1 element 3 500w = both elements in series.

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,

Many thanks for the tip! I'll go to Maplin and buy some more. This can be my little project tomorrow! I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Get the 16 amp rated Maplin relays not the 10 amp. But note these are not the best quality but will work. Gary of ARC systems uses relays from Franell or RS I think Good luck

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
Yep did that, bought 2 extra 16A relays of the same kind and hey presto, she works! :D

Thanks for the tips, one warm happy camper! I will take note of the quality of those, at least I know the circuit board was the issue and I may try and get hold of these better quality ones.

TRENDING THREADS