Truma Ultrastore - Sounding like a kettle when on Gas.

Jun 20, 2021
Visit site
Hi All - I wonder if I could get some advice about a strange issue that has just started with my Truma Ultrastore water heater.

My caravan is a 2001 Fleetwood Countryside, everything has been working fine in the last few trips, but now the water heater is making some unusual sounds on gas only.

Gas ON - and can hear it ignite, no red LED for unlit. Everything is fine for 10-15sec. then the sound of a kettle boiling, can hear it creaking. Still no red LED and will stop when turning the off toggle.

On elec it heats fine (slowly of course) and I originally thought it was due to being over temp. But today I have drained and refilled - let the hot tap run until a steady stream, and testing again with a cold system. Same problem.

Anyone seen this before? , not going to mess with Gas - but wondered if theres anything i can check first?.

Thanks again.
A

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi All - I wonder if I could get some advice about a strange issue that has just started with my Truma Ultrastore water heater.

My caravan is a 2001 Fleetwood Countryside, everything has been working fine in the last few trips, but now the water heater is making some unusual sounds on gas only.

Gas ON - and can hear it ignite, no red LED for unlit. Everything is fine for 10-15sec. then the sound of a kettle boiling, can hear it creaking. Still no red LED and will stop when turning the off toggle.

On elec it heats fine (slowly of course) and I originally thought it was due to being over temp. But today I have drained and refilled - let the hot tap run until a steady stream, and testing again with a cold system. Same problem.

Anyone seen this before? , not going to mess with Gas - but wondered if theres anything i can check first?.

Thanks again.
A
Could it be scale crackling? When was it last descaled. I’ve 5 litres of white wine vinegar going spare in my garage 🤭

Reactions: JTQ
Jun 20, 2021
Visit site
Not been descaled in my ownership - 12months. So yes even if it isnt that, it needs doing.

Bought a couple of 5L and reading up on the process.

Its a really strange noise, like what you hear when metal is heating up / cooling but ive not heard it before, hence the worry.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At a guess I doubt very much if the heater has been descaled in its lifetime !
The "kettling" noise that you hear is limescale in the heater.
Fill with a mix 50/50 white wine vinegar and water and leave overnight.

Do NOT turn the heater on.

After 24 hours drain and flush through with a couple of aquarolls of fresh water

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, most certainly limescale causing that noise.
You may have to repeat the descaling a few times to get rid of it all, but it will be worth it.

It most likely has 20 years of build up inside it !!!

Jun 20, 2021
Visit site
Thanks Damian, Overnight for each flush? 50/50mix is what ive been reading. Hope to get it fixed by the weekend! Trip away planned.

Yep I bet there is 20 years of crud in there!

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, overnight for each treatment. and 50/50 is what you will need to get rid of the amount of scale in there.

Let us know how it goes please.

Jun 20, 2021
Visit site
So. 10L of white vinegar later, a good flush out and still sounding like a kettle. Next steps? Continue flushing!?

The 2nd batch that came out was clear unlike the first which was decidedly yellow.

Thanks
A.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You are trying to remove 20 years of buildup of limescale, it may take a lot of time, and vinegar to get it all out.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts