Truma ultrastore water heater issue

May 13, 2018
Visit site
We have a Bailey ranger but can't get the how water to work tank is full cover is off the flap outside the van turn it on clicks 2 or 3 times then the red light comes on

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is the gas bottle tap fully open. Do you have isolator valves in your gas lines. They are often all grouped together fir cooker, room heater, fridge and water heater. If so is the water heater one open? Lastly it can sometimes take quite a while for gas to feed around the system if it’s nit been used for a while. I tend to light the cooker burners and oven for 5 minutes before trying to light any other appliance.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
It essentially means that the gas if not igniting. Try it four or five times, but then wait for at least 15minutes before trying again (the atmosphere around the burner becomes too gas-rich for it to light). After several failed attempts, you should be able to smell gas near the outside cowling if gas is actually getting to the burner.

If it still fails to light, the burner will need further investigation.

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
Gogs1977 said:
How does the electric side work as I can't see a switch for it

On older installations there will usually be a domestic style switch which simply turns the heater on/off mains supply as required. The heater has a non-adjustable thermostat at around 65C. Quite often the switch is located below the settee on the side where the boiler is.

(Suggest you also read the other current thread concerning replacing a boiler)

May 13, 2018
Visit site
Switched it on there went outside put ma hand up to the vent and you could hear it heating up and had warm water but after 30 secs or so cuts off again then after Tring to ignite another cpl of times on comes the red light again

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One of the fairly regular problems I encountered with Trumastores (before they were called Ultrastorses) was the fact the burner seemed to attract insects who would make their nests in it. The same applied to Carver Cascade's also.

If they construct a nest or create any other sort of blockage, in the burners venturi or the the burner plenum, it can either prevent ignition or stop the flame from spreading properly and affect flame detection.

In the case of the Truma boilers, the burner is almost a complete circle, and the fame would burn around about 150 degrees of the circle. the missing portion is where the gas and air enters in the venturi tube. The flame would be ignited on one side of the venturi, but the flame detection was on the opposite side of the venturi, so the flame had to ignite all the way round the burner before it could be detected.

One of the characteristics that often was a symptom of this, other than poor ignition or flame detection, often the appliance would start to produce soot.

If you have any evidence of sooting, its a clear sign the appliance is need of a service. For your safety it best to leave all gas appliance service work to a professional.

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Gogs1977 I have a bailey ranger gt . on gas all isolation valves are at bottom off cooker and for the boiler their is a other 1 next to the boiler.

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
have you managed to get it working on the electric ? Their should be a 230 fused 5amp switch normally below the seats marked water heater . then on the control switch you have a flame or a circle sign switch it to circle you will Not get any green light. if all done it will take about 20 mins to heat up. the water remember it only works on mains not 12v.
if still not working their are 3 fuses you need to check 1. fuse in fuse box very bottom one marked "water heater" 2 .5 amp fused switch then on the boiler its self their is a 1.6 surge fuse very easy to get at
hope tis helps ps don't forget make sure the boiler has water in it

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
VicMallows said:
Gogs1977 said:
How does the electric side work as I can't see a switch for it

On older installations there will usually be a domestic style switch which simply turns the heater on/off mains supply as required. The heater has a non-adjustable thermostat at around 65C. Quite often the switch is located below the settee on the side where the boiler is.

(Suggest you also read the other current thread concerning replacing a boiler)

Make sure this is switched off when powering up as it'll trip if there's no water in the tank . You need to feed water through system then switch it on as we found in our Baileys.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
On your behalf I googled 'Bailer Ranger Manuals' and first on the list was https://www.manualslib.com/manual/815292/Bailey-Caravan.html
which may contain answers to this and other questions for you.
Generally the manufacturers sites are comprehensive (like Thetford for example) if the handbook does not contain sufficient info specific to your van/year.
Good luck with your investigation!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gogs1977 said:
The gas etc was all on I've got hot water as long as I stand outside with my hands shielding the wind from going in the flu

This almost certainly means the heater needs to be serviced by a competent fitter familiar with Truma products.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts