Truma us 130 advice please

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I have the above water heater fitted to my caravan, when it was put to bed last winter there were no issues but since we got her up we can't get the water to heat using electricity. We don't have any gas to see if it will work on gas and to be honest we want it to work on electricity anyway.

Is the most likley to be a faulty heating element? The glass fuse on the control box is fine.

Thank you for reading.
Stuart

Mar 7, 2015
Visit site
I`m not particularly familiar with your type of heater, but I had similar issues with our Carver cascade when we were getting ready for our first trip. Our problem was eventually diagnosed to a faulty non return valve in the water system.

Have you got running water at the taps ? .
Can you borrow a supply of gas to check if it heats - that will at least confirm that the water side of the system is good. Then you will know it is isolated to the electrical side.

I`m sure there will be other solutions offered via this forum - hope you get there - I know how frustrating it is

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I can't find any reference to a "Truma us 130" anywhere. If it is a stand-alone water heater it is usually a Truma Ultrastore. Can you give us any more information to identify it?

Edit: Ah! I am guessing the "us" IS shorthand for Ultrastore??

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The truma Ultrastore has an ID of US 130,,,,,,,,dont ask me why, it just does.

In the original posting there is mention of a glass fuse on the control box, this control box (attached to the side of the Ultrastore is for Gas operation only, nothing to do with electric use.

The first things to check are that the MCB controlling the water heater is on, and that any other switch relating to the water heater is on as well (many caravans have a switch close to the boiler )

If the water system is full as it should be before switching on any of the water heater controls, gas or electric, then you should get hot water after about 20 minutes on electric. If you have switched it on before filling the heater then either the thermal trip has operated or you have burnt out the element.

If you don't get hot water then you need to check the element and if this has failed then it needs replacing.

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
As far as I know there is nothing wrong with the pipes IE no blockage and as far as i know there arn't any one way valves.
Got running water at the taps.
Bought gas and water gets hot.
Thanks

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
sgtangel said:
I`m not particularly familiar with your type of heater, but I had similar issues with our Carver cascade when we were getting ready for our first trip. Our problem was eventually diagnosed to a faulty non return valve in the water system.

Have you got running water at the taps ? .
Can you borrow a supply of gas to check if it heats - that will at least confirm that the water side of the system is good. Then you will know it is isolated to the electrical side.

I`m sure there will be other solutions offered via this forum - hope you get there - I know how frustrating it is

As far as I know there is nothing wrong with the pipes IE no blockage and as far as i know there arn't any one way valves.
Got running water at the taps.
Bought gas and water gets hot.
Thanks

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
The truma Ultrastore has an ID of US 130,,,,,,,,dont ask me why, it just does.

In the original posting there is mention of a glass fuse on the control box, this control box (attached to the side of the Ultrastore is for Gas operation only, nothing to do with electric use.

The first things to check are that the MCB controlling the water heater is on, and that any other switch relating to the water heater is on as well (many caravans have a switch close to the boiler )

If the water system is full as it should be before switching on any of the water heater controls, gas or electric, then you should get hot water after about 20 minutes on electric. If you have switched it on before filling the heater then either the thermal trip has operated or you have burnt out the element.

If you don't get hot water then you need to check the element and if this has failed then it needs replacing.

Cheers, that was my thought, the heating element. Nobody could remember remember switching the water heater on so its possible that it was left on from last time out therefore may have been on before there was any water in it!!!

Im 99% sure the best way to be sure its the element would be to put a plug on it and see if it heats some water. there is no continuity when tested.

Thanks

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
If you can measure resistance it should be about 65 ohms (for an 850W element; 40 for a 1350W). You could check the thermostat (part of the element assembly) just in case, but you would then have to source and fit a suitable substitute part from elsewhere.

Yes, leaving it switched on from the last outing is the usual cause :( I recall one poor poster getting so fed up burning out elements that he installed a latching relay with a press button so that the heater was automatically disconnected when the EHU was disconnected!

Unfortunately the last time I looked the 850W elements were a minimum of £85 ..... and with a captive market they keep going up and up.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
This seems to be quite a common occurrence people asking why they're not getting hot water , but water flowing.
Like other people have said in all the posts and myself , make sure everything is switched off before you leave site, as I myself fell for this one on my last Bailey's . I was just starting off too but used to leave the heating switch on for next time I got on site ( I had no idea then though )but same problem , kept tripping , not now though, all is off before I leave the Site now and the heating switch is the last thing that gets switched on now .

Craig .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My water heater gas and electric switches are at the front of the lounge sited a short distance above the floor. The are easily knocked on particularly when loading our chairs which sit on the floor between the seats. Fortunately the water heater main switch is under the locker next to the supply power box. So I have to remove the chairs from the floor to access the water heater switch. But it still requires me to remember to ensure that the small on off switches are set to "off"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts