Truma Water Heater Tripping Out Main RCD

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
My Truma water heater has now decided after 4 years to start tripping out the main 240v RCD within the 'van. A bit of history first - when I use the van I heat the water via 240v and keep it on all the time until it is time to pack the van up.

My main question is is there anything that I can do to check and see why it is tripping out. I have basic electrical skills and know my limit when it comes to working with mains power.

Another question - does the element in the water heater carry on heating should you empty the hot water with no incoming fresh supply? I don't know if I have done this or not but thought I would ask.

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Joseph,

The element in the truma boiler is replaceable, These elements do corrode and your sympton is not uncommon, and that is almost certainly responsible for the RCD tripping.

The tank uses displacment to deliver hot water, so get hot water out you have to push cold water in. This means the hot water tank remains full at all times, even if you run out of cold water.

There should be a special drain valve with a red lever near the heater (this is also a safety over pressure safety valve) so you can empty the tank for travelling of for winter storage.

For safety and compliance with safety legislation I recommend you have the element replaced by a competent person who is familiar with the product.

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Am I right in saying, John, that if you test and get continuity between the live and earth connections on the element, that confirms it's broken?

Dec 19, 2005
Visit site
It does not have to be a dead short! The RCD is only looking for 30ma of fault current and this is in total, some other items will also generate a little fault current too. If your passing my way (Slough) I could take a look?

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Joseph, I think John L is right, it could be your element on it's way out. It won't necessarily show as a direct leak to earth on test. Sometimes the leak to earth only occurrs when it has been in use for a while.

I'd replace the element anyway at four years it's earned it's keep.

Steve.

Mar 8, 2006
Visit site
I emailed Truma and they advise replacing the element. Do I have to buy it from a dealer or is there anybody else (e.g cheaper) that will sell the same product. I have not enquired about a price from a dealer yet so I do not know what price I am up against. Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Not sure I can help Michael, It's a Truma and I have all on sorting Carver problems, I would suggest contacting a local mobile guy who should be able to work out what exactly is at fault as I am not convinced it's the element itself.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think it's appalling that 4 years is accepted as a reasonable length of life for a caravan component.

I suppose this is the modern, throw away culture - what next, caravans which biodegrade after a year's use?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think it's appalling that 4 years is accepted as a reasonable length of life for a caravan component.

I suppose this is the modern, throw away culture - what next, caravans which biodegrade after a year's use?
I agree rogerL----I Have a ten year old van, all carver equipement which has never let me down---except a new fanmaster motor 3 years ago, my family and friends have bought new vans all within the last three years and all have had trouble with the Trauma equipement---wreckon the quality is pretty poor to say the least

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Joseph,

The element in the truma boiler is replaceable, These elements do corrode and your sympton is not uncommon, and that is almost certainly responsible for the RCD tripping.

The tank uses displacment to deliver hot water, so get hot water out you have to push cold water in. This means the hot water tank remains full at all times, even if you run out of cold water.

There should be a special drain valve with a red lever near the heater (this is also a safety over pressure safety valve) so you can empty the tank for travelling of for winter storage.

For safety and compliance with safety legislation I recommend you have the element replaced by a competent person who is familiar with the product.
most drain valves are yellow!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts