Truma Woes

Sep 17, 2018
Visit site
Having recently bought a 2004 Abbey i have been working through a number of minor problems and am down to the last one, Heating. the van is fitted with Trumatic s 3002 and Ultrastore /Ultraheat, this is the first Van ive had for 30yrs so im a bit out of touch.
I have hot water from taps etc but cannot get the fire to work on either gas or electric, the fan works and blows cold air from the vents but the manual piezo does clic and therefore light and having followed the manual i cannot get any heat on electric either.
Im presuming the piezo is done for and cant believe the price of replacement parts but there is no other way to even test the gas.
Any help would be welcome
Dave H

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Dave
I suspect some confusion here. The caravan heater is a different piece of kit from the water heater. https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-water-systems/truma-boiler-ultrastore-water-heater.html
Have you read all the operating instructions for both systems? They are quite comprehensive and very specific. If you don’t follow them the systems won’t work.
Still confused?
Maybe a chat for 30 minutes with an expert qualified in the parts involved............. :S

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi Dave I have the 3002 in my van the fire on gas or electric are two total different operation on electric switch the mains switch on now selected either 500/1000/2000 then turn the inner thermostat until you hear a slight click or put on the highest setting (9) then wait to feel if its heating up. PS turn the 12v fan off (right hand dial) so the heat comes straight out of the front . on Gas ( first change the battier on the piezo ) turn on the main gas isolating switch select heater setting dial to number 3 (left hand dial) press ignition (piezo) first time lighting up on gas takes a while for the gas to feed through all controls for gas operation are on the front of the fire not the ones on the wall ? hope this bit of info helps

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote " first change the battier on the piezo"
If the fire has piezo ignition there are NO batteries involved. The act of compressing the piezo crystal creates the ignition spark.
The battery associated with the S3002 is for the electronic ignition models.

Sep 17, 2018
Visit site
Yes done all the things you say here with regard to electric the element does not heat up at all, the piezo has no battery and does not click so cant light

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dave,

The piezo igniters are usually extremely reliable, and I'm quite surprised if your wont actually click. But if its not clicking then it wont ignite the fire.

Replacing the piezo is a relatively easy job, but I appreciate there is a cost to it.

You have a couple of options, You could just replace the piezo with another piezo, which would only take about 5 min, or you could buy a auto update kit (if they are still available), which will convert your heater into the auto version with the battery powered ignitor. I have fitted many over the years to older versions of the SLP 3002 to convert them to SL3002.

I have looked on Ebay, and there re a number of auto units available second hand. You would need the Auto ignitor block and the micro-switch for the gas valve. Fitting is a little more complicated, and you would need proper instruction, as in particular the wiring of the valve micro-switch has to be clamped in a special way to provide the earth return for the spark energy and the systems flame detection for the ignitor.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My piezo igniter is clicking but not igniting it’s aS3004 fire anyone know what it could be
Hello Paul,

You should really have started a new thread with this question, but you've re opened this old thread now.

The Truma S3004 used a battery powered electronic ignition system not a Piezo. The fact its ticking indicates it is producing sparks. It should automatically stop making sparks when a flame has been lit. So the question is why isn't it lighting the gas.

Have you followed the user instructions about lighting the heater?

Do all the other gas appliances work correctly?

If yes, you need to consider other reasons why gas may no be reaching the heater.

Is the isolation valve associated with the heater turned on?

Is the gas cylinder empty?

Is the gas cylinder turned on?

If these basic checks have not resolved the problem, then its most likely something a little more serious and you should not attempt to remove or fix the appliance unless you are fully competent and conversant with LPG gas regulations. You may need to get the caravan checked by aLPG registered fitter.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have gas I’ve had the gas fire on plenty of times it just stopped firing up the last time I was out any ideas cheers
Without being able to see exactly what i's and isn't happening, it can be difficult resolving such matters on a forum.

Gas appliances may seem intrinsically simple, but their simplicity actually belies quite a lot of technical development to ensure safe and efficient operation. If you are unable to start the S3004 there will be reason, but anything beyond the usual manual controls and visual checks should be referred to a competent fitter.

Bearing in mind your caravan is now 20 years old, it may be prudent to have the heater and indeed all gas appliance specifically checked for function, efficiency and safety by a professional.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts