Truman Heating - can you make it just blow air?

Mar 3, 2019
5
0
0
Hi, I've just picked up a Phoenix 420, which has a Truma blown air heater. When we picked it up the dealer said that you could make it blow unheated air (useful in the summer), he did show me but as there was so much to take in, this one didn't stay.

I've tried to work it out myself and read the manual but nothing seems to work. I'm beginning to think I imagined it and it's not possible!

Can anyone help?
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Take a desk fan with you! It'll be better.

The Truma control panel will only allow you to turn the "cold air" function if all heating is off. This includes hot water. So if you want hot water you, you can't use the unheated blower.
 
Mar 14, 2005
17,212
2,838
50,935
Joemdt said:
Hi, I've just picked up a Phoenix 420, which has a Truma blown air heater. When we picked it up the dealer said that you could make it blow unheated air (useful in the summer), he did show me but as there was so much to take in, this one didn't stay.

I've tried to work it out myself and read the manual but nothing seems to work. I'm beginning to think I imagined it and it's not possible!

Can anyone help?

Yes it can be set to blow unheated air, but it will depend on which model you have as how to set the controls.
 
Oct 12, 2013
3,037
4
0
CustardAvenger said:
Take a desk fan with you! It'll be better.

The Truma control panel will only allow you to turn the "cold air" function if all heating is off. This includes hot water. So if you want hot water you, you can't use the unheated blower.

I would take a fan also as when we were away the other year and doesn't do all that much good but if you want to try it I think if you turn your temperature heating down to 0° scroll along right to where you have your fan sign and click on I think it should come on and say 'vent' that way . You should still have hot water though . Only way you would not get hot water is if you went into where your switches are and switched off the button for hot water and heating .
 
Mar 14, 2005
17,212
2,838
50,935
CustardAvenger said:
Take a desk fan with you! It'll be better.

The Truma control panel will only allow you to turn the "cold air" function if all heating is off. This includes hot water. So if you want hot water you, you can't use the unheated blower.

The OP is not specific about which model of heater he has, only that he has Truma blown air. The space heating may not include the water heater in his caravan.

I know Truma quite well and I'm pretty certain they recognise the importance of having the independence of unheated air and water heating even in their combi heaters.
 
Nov 11, 2009
19,205
5,669
50,935
ProfJohnL said:
CustardAvenger said:
Take a desk fan with you! It'll be better.

The Truma control panel will only allow you to turn the "cold air" function if all heating is off. This includes hot water. So if you want hot water you, you can't use the unheated blower.

The OP is not specific about which model of heater he has, only that he has Truma blown air. The space heating may not include the water heater in his caravan.

I know Truma quite well and I'm pretty certain they recognise the importance of having the independence of unheated air and water heating even in their combi heaters.

So simple in mine the heating and water are separated by about 2 meters and to blow air i just switch the fan on which is mounted atop the heater. But as said above it isn't very effective in hot weather and a stand alone fan is far better as it can be positioned where you are sitting and it moves more air.
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
ProfJohnL said:
The OP is not specific about which model of heater he has, only that he has Truma blown air. The space heating may not include the water heater in his caravan.

Fair enough, but they do say they have a [Bailey] Phoenix 420 which has a Truma Combi boiler.

However, In my experience of the Truma Combi 4, the only way to get the 'Vent' as Craig describes was to turn off the Hot Water. Once this was off, the option was then available in the heating menu. As As soon as I turned it back on, the Vent option was no longer there.
 
May 7, 2012
8,265
1,612
30,935
We have never managed to get the Truma combination on the last caravan to blow cold air, but may be I did not read the instructions correctly, but I did not see anything about turning the water heating off. With this one it has not been warm enough to try it, but if need be we will try it with the water heating off and see what happens.
 
Dec 31, 2018
2
0
0
CustardAvenger said:
ProfJohnL said:
The OP is not specific about which model of heater he has, only that he has Truma blown air. The space heating may not include the water heater in his caravan.

Fair enough, but they do say they have a [Bailey] Phoenix 420 which has a Truma Combi boiler.

However, In my experience of the Truma Combi 4, the only way to get the 'Vent' as Craig describes was to turn off the Hot Water. Once this was off, the option was then available in the heating menu. As As soon as I turned it back on, the Vent option was no longer there.

You'll never get cold air fan blowing with the (stupid!) combo boiler /heaters due to the design of them.

Sucked in air is pushed around the central water jacket which in turn has gas burner and electrical heating element in it. As soon as you turn on water heating (whether on gas or electric) the water jacket hears up... This any air pumped around it gets heated up.
Ergo no way to get cold air blown out if your vents when water heating is on.

Have a look at yge schematic diagram of the Combi unit to see what I mean.

If you have the older (IMHO much better and simpler) separate fire (with blown air assist) avd water heater, you can have cold air blown through your vents.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts