Tummel valley

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi there i was wondering if anyone had been to the tummel valley site, im due to go there in april and have heard some horror stories about the road ...

not been towing too long so im a wee bit scared.

Rab.

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Rab,

I've been along that road a few times without the van and always said to the missus, " Can you imagine bringing the van along here ! ".

I'd love to be able to say to you that it's no problem, but I can't, sorry. The gradients aren't too bad, it's more the narrowness of the road that worried me and the tight turns.

It's definitely doable, no doubt about that. But not sure it's worth it, for me.

Have you considered Faskally, which is just off the A9 and a doddle to get to ? I've never been, but reckon that it has most, if not all of the facilities that Tummel Valley has eg, pool, bar, games room, playareas etc.

Good luck with whatever you decided to do.

Cheers,

Alex.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rab

I assume you mean the Parkdean Holiday centre called Tummel Valley?

This is the road to Rannoch Station way out on Rannoch Moor.

It's twisty, narrowish but if you go steady and keep your eyes open you shouldn't have too many problems. If you have to pull over , be careful on the first part just in caee there are any overhanging trees in your way.

It really isn't that bad.

Cheers

Dustydog

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rab,

I've been along that road a few times without the van and always said to the missus, " Can you imagine bringing the van along here ! ".

I'd love to be able to say to you that it's no problem, but I can't, sorry. The gradients aren't too bad, it's more the narrowness of the road that worried me and the tight turns.

It's definitely doable, no doubt about that. But not sure it's worth it, for me.

Have you considered Faskally, which is just off the A9 and a doddle to get to ? I've never been, but reckon that it has most, if not all of the facilities that Tummel Valley has eg, pool, bar, games room, playareas etc.

Good luck with whatever you decided to do.

Cheers,

Alex.
its definately do-able because i had my hobby 635 at tummel valley for a week in 2007. for the most part its ok, plenty room to pass oncoming traffic, there are a few pretty tight spots and guaranteed thats where you'll meet the tourist buses.

if you're quite comfortable towing your 'van it shouldn't be a problem.

what i would say is when we were there it rained for a couple of days and the pitches turned to swamp land pretty quickly. and if you're planning on going into pitlochry its about 14 miles away, down the same road.

faskally is ok. it offers everything tummel valley does although some of the touring area isnt that flat. there's a good sized indoor pool with hot tub, sauna and steam room. and live entertainment every wekened through the season. if you go dont pitch right in the middle, it becomes a paddling pool after a bit of rain. we stopped going to faskally a couple of years back cos it started to get quite expensive.

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Rab

The road is quite narrow and some parts very difficult to pass when you met a coach.

Although a nice site and we found it quiet, would not go back as the road was scary for us. Well we are quite new to touring caravans.

Good luck

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
sorry,posted this as a comment by mistake.

its definately do-able because i had my hobby 635 at tummel valley for a week in 2007. for the most part its ok, plenty room to pass oncoming traffic, there are a few pretty tight spots and guaranteed thats where you'll meet the tourist buses.

if you're quite comfortable towing your 'van it shouldn't be a problem.

what i would say is when we were there it rained for a couple of days and the pitches turned to swamp land pretty quickly. and if you're planning on going into pitlochry its about 14 miles away, down the same road.

faskally is ok. it offers everything tummel valley does although some of the touring area isnt that flat. there's a good sized indoor pool with hot tub, sauna and steam room. and live entertainment every wekened through the season. if you go dont pitch right in the middle, it becomes a paddling pool after a bit of rain. we stopped going to faskally a couple of years back cos it started to get quite expensive.

Apr 15, 2009
Visit site
we stayed here 11 years ago when i was heavily pregnant with my son. we were in a static at the furthest away point from the facilities. it is away out in the middle of nowhere too.

wouldn't go again, but thats my opinion

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your replys i, i should have got your input before i booked doh..

Never mind i will just have to take my time and fingers crossed il; be ok..

thanks again.

Rab.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts