Tv aerial is it an ugly eyesore???

Jun 22, 2005
Visit site
we have just returned from holiday in our van and i was wondering what other forum users thought about tv aerials. we do watch the tv occasionally in our caravan but find the status aerial on the caravan adequate enough. i understand that some of the older vans dont have an aerial so need to have an aerial. but we had one van near us that looked like it would be able to recive a signal from australia!! which we considered to be ugly - not what you want to be looking at out of your front window!

May 12, 2005
Visit site
here we go again, after a visit to a restaurant, or a meal under the stars my wife(who can`t walk far) and I like nothing better than a glass of something while watching the box,In order to guarantee excellent reception we have a auto seek sat dish on the roof of the van, not to annoy anyone, just to let us enjoy what we like doing,please don`t ridicule us for trying to acheive quality of life in our old age.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Like you, I found the Status aerial poor except in very strong signal areas. Las year I bought an Image 530/18 copy this link to your address bar for details, second one down. http://www.gradeuk.co.uk/products/antennas/vpimage.asp

It is excellet, cost about

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a status too- but I never expect it to actually work! Usually the extenable arial comes out and gets a picture when attached to the A frame. I like to walk and see the sights as much as anyone, but after a belly full of food and a bit of wine my good lady usually gets sleepy- so she somethimes goes to bed early and I watch the box for a bit- nothing wrong with that in my eyes? Sometimes (shock) we watch the breakfast news too!

I have a 2004 car, 2004 caravan and a 2005 awning- we aren't really an eyesore even with the TV ariel- and of course I too am highly attractive!

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Laura

What an awful experience for you. You should have complained to the warden and asked that the offenders be thrown off site for having an offensive structure.

I'm actually going out to purchase a wideband ariel this week so we can watch tv in our caravan at night whilst we are on holiday.

I'll be in the Cornwall area but understand that the ariel may be seen from Scotland.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Laura

What an awful experience for you. You should have complained to the warden and asked that the offenders be thrown off site for having an offensive structure.

I'm actually going out to purchase a wideband ariel this week so we can watch tv in our caravan at night whilst we are on holiday.

I'll be in the Cornwall area but understand that the ariel may be seen from Scotland.
Remember that the max width for a caravan is 7ft 6in so you will be limited to that for your broadband aerial.lol

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Remember that the max width for a caravan is 7ft 6in so you will be limited to that for your broadband aerial.lol
Watson

Thanks for the tip. I must remember to take the four gang extension sockets for the 2 x lamps, cooler fridge, fan, dvd player, tv, freeview box, SIGNAL booster, playstation, straightners, microwave, portable oven, kettle, hairdryer, laptop, phone chargers (x3), electric carving knife, sandwich toaster, toaster and vegetable steamer. Oh, I nearly forgot, the electric wine bottle opener.

Regards.

lh

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Watson

Thanks for the tip. I must remember to take the four gang extension sockets for the 2 x lamps, cooler fridge, fan, dvd player, tv, freeview box, SIGNAL booster, playstation, straightners, microwave, portable oven, kettle, hairdryer, laptop, phone chargers (x3), electric carving knife, sandwich toaster, toaster and vegetable steamer. Oh, I nearly forgot, the electric wine bottle opener.

Regards.

lh
You forgot the electric can opener!

Aug 25, 2005
Visit site
I have an Omnimax, made by maxview. These are a little gem of an aerial and I have never failed to get a good reception to date.

Ok, may not look that great, but they are relatively small and

inconspicuous compared to some.

I understand from friends that they also do a portable satellite system, which you can set up on a tripod, apparently fairly easy and quick to do! With this their is no 'ugly looking' structures on top of the caravan, as you set it up by the side where you're based.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Britain, and much of Europe, is full of lovely countryside away from large towns and cities. In these areas, however, TV reception isn't very good and the ubiqitous Status is useless, totally.

Laura, if you think that all caravanners choose sites wthin 30 miles of large cities, you really ought to get out more!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
a fixed Aerial is not adequate if you parked behind tree's or some other obstruction you need an Aerial you can move about to obtain a good signal.

and what you find ugly may be a joy to somebody else so live and let live and enjoy life

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
The best solution of course is a satellite dish with a freeview card. Takes seconds to set up and you always haev a perfect picture no matter where you are. Second hand boxes can be purchased for

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I bought a 48-Element High Gain Wideband TV Aerial which is suitable for receiving analogue and digital tv signasl in poor or weak strength signal areas. It's designed for low wind loading with aluminium wire rod elements. Has an F connector and clamp for vertical and horizontal polarity. It has multi emelment forward angled directors which which gives good forward gain and bandwith. It has a rear deflector to protection from unwanted signals and ghosting. All mounted on a 12 foot pole.

And, when the ariel is in transit in the caravan - it has its own seat.

p.s. Reception does actually range from good to excellent depending on some of the factors raised in the postings above.

Lisa.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Whats a "multi emelment". Is it something orgasmic :O) Is it one of those things that goes buzzzzz in the night and keeps campers awake :O( Ummmm I mean a generator, get your minds out of the gutter :OP

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lord B

It should have read 'multi element', which obviously are forward angled directors of course.

Sorry for typing errors, it was our ramblers association annual barn dance last night and I'm feeling a bit worse for wear.

Lisa

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I bought a 48-Element High Gain Wideband TV Aerial which is suitable for receiving analogue and digital tv signasl in poor or weak strength signal areas. It's designed for low wind loading with aluminium wire rod elements. Has an F connector and clamp for vertical and horizontal polarity. It has multi emelment forward angled directors which which gives good forward gain and bandwith. It has a rear deflector to protection from unwanted signals and ghosting. All mounted on a 12 foot pole.

p.s. Reception does actually range from good to excellent depending on some of the factors raised in the postings above.

Lisa.
I hope Laura doesn't see it

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site

"we have just returned from holiday in our van and i was wondering what other forum users thought about tv aerials. (SNIP) but we had one van near us that looked like it would be able to recive a signal from australia!! which we considered to be ugly - not what you want to be looking at out of your front window!"

Maybe we should also critises vans that are older than 20 years old that are showing their signs of age and have their fair share of the green stuff on the roof and a few battle scars. Much nicer to see brand new vans on the site while looking out of your window isnt it?

Maybe even ban all ugly people from the sites so we can all look at gorgeous pin ups (male too for the ladies of course)....................

Steve

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Lisa.
Roy -

Oh dear, I hope not.

Lisa

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

"we have just returned from holiday in our van and i was wondering what other forum users thought about tv aerials. (SNIP) but we had one van near us that looked like it would be able to recive a signal from australia!! which we considered to be ugly - not what you want to be looking at out of your front window!"

Maybe we should also critises vans that are older than 20 years old that are showing their signs of age and have their fair share of the green stuff on the roof and a few battle scars. Much nicer to see brand new vans on the site while looking out of your window isnt it?

Maybe even ban all ugly people from the sites so we can all look at gorgeous pin ups (male too for the ladies of course)....................

Steve
Here here.

Lisa

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I saw a unit over this summer with an enormous TV aerial which also contained a 'flying fish' kite! It was to enable children to locate their caravan! It also helped people all around as it was also a 'marker' for their pitch.

However, if you don't want to fly a flag why not have a look at the COMPAQ aerial (costs less than

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts