TV aerial socket

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Near floor level on the face of the front chest I have a black combined TV and 2-pin socket which I think is a 'Clipsal' make like this
1600715625980.png

but the aerial lead drops out as it has become so loose, and TV reception therefore is intermittent.
Any ideas if this can be rectified or would it be an easy job to just replace with a new one for about 17.00 + P&P?
Thanks in advance for help and advice.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Small flat screw driver inserted between plastic and the outer part of the socket in order to distort it slightly. And/or slightly distort the plug in order to make them a tighter fit.

John

Reactions: JezzerB
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I doubt you will get one now, they are an old design. If you don't use the 12V connection then get a standard TV outlet plate as would be used at home. It may be white which you would have to paint, or you might be able to get a black chrome type.
You could make one yourself by drilling a hole in a switch/socket blank (again you may have to paint it) but I would recommend using a F-type bulkhead back-to-back adapter so that the incoming aerial (behind the plate) is properly connected and screened, and the TV jumper cable has a F-type plug on one end so that it does not become disconnected in service.

One thought. If the outlet is as pictured it suggests your caravan is not in its youth. I would seriously check the type of cable used by the manufacturer which may not be a modern foil-screened type (look on the cable connection on the back of the socket pictured.) If it is the older type with a fairly loose screen (outer) in the cable they are very prone to direct signal pickup which in turn will cause pixelation of the TV picture as someone moves around inside the caravan. If you are capable I would advise that you replace the existing cable with PF100 or WF100 or similar. You can buy 10m or 25m of such cable from Toolstation or Screwfix for not too much money, and at the same time get a bag each of 10 F-type plugs and 10 back-to-back sockets for about 20% or less of the price you will pay at a caravan dealer.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Near floor level on the face of the front chest I have a black combined TV and 2-pin socket which I think is a 'Clipsal' make like this
View attachment 777

but the aerial lead drops out as it has become so loose, and TV reception therefore is intermittent.
Any ideas if this can be rectified or would it be an easy job to just replace with a new one for about 17.00 + P&P?
Thanks in advance for help and advice.
Hi,
use a pair of pliers or pipe grips to gently squeeze the inner and outer rings (not too much).

Reactions: JezzerB
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply. As the days shorten and the nights lengthen the TV comes into its own in the caravan - plus who would want to miss any important broadcasts to the nation while they were away? or maybe that's why you go! With a pair of craft pliers I have taken your advice and gently squeezed up the centre so the plug now holds firmly, so hoping now to have full channel list. Had the caravan since 2012 and never looked closely enough to realise that there was a 12v socket combined! From google searches it would seem that a matching aerial socket or a combo socket are still available, but agree that if it came to it I clearly wouldn't miss the 12v!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts