TV on Front Chest - Is it just me ?

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Ever since we first placed our small (19”) LCD TV on the front chest, I couldn’t help but notice how the plastic moulding which houses the 12V, 240V and aerial sockets prevented me from pushing the TV all the way back so that it almost touches the window. The moulding has a large central section which seems to serve no purpose other than being a “trinket tray”, which, as a total clutterphobe I would never use.

258bcw2.jpg

So, during one of our trips, I took one of the polystyrene packing blocks out of the JVC CD/Radio box which was left in the van when bought new, and cut it down with a Stanley knife, angling the lower face, and making a piece which fits into the central section and provides a flat surface onto which to place the TV. We have used it ever since, as it leaves the entire top surface free. At a guess I would say the TV is approx. 6” further back than it would otherwise be. Whilst this doesn’t sound like very much, it really does make a difference in terms of available space, although it is necessary to pull the TV forward just slightly at night to allow the front blind to be raised.

iwrmgx.jpg

Now, of course, the unsightly polystyrene block is not the permanent solution, but I am going to use it as a mould or die to make something much more aesthetically acceptable which will fill the complete centre section. Before I do, I have two choices which will determine how I go about this. I can either rather selfishly make one, or make a mould which will then enable me to make many of these at very little cost indeed. If I was to do this, I would probably use one of the types of expanding foam as the material, meaning for the circa £5 price tag of a can of expanding foam, I could make many !

So, before I choose which way to go, I would appreciate feedback from others as to whether they would find such an item useful. Of course, I would have no interest whatsoever in trying to profit in any way from from this as the price per unit would be negligible, but would love to help others out if they feel that this may be useful for in their van - ours is a 2017 Swift, and I would imagine that many Swift models of that age share the same plastic fascia, and maybe even some other models ?

Or, maybe such a thing already exists ? - I did have had a look but was quite surprised when I was unable to find such a thing.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

Ic.

P.S. Thanks for moving to correct section Damian

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Lc ,
Hi , i have also noticed this in our caravan to , ( yours being the same spec as ours ) but hasn't bothered me that much , I forget about it when we are watching it through the day , but on a night time we tend to use the bit that flips up on end of the bench in the kitchen bit and sit the telly on there and watch it in bed from that angle, I bought a 1 metre cable for the TV aerial so stretches round from the front window connection , don't know if you do this ? on another note , has anything went wrong with yours ? We are happy as punch with ours .

Craig . :)

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Lc ,
Hi , i have also noticed this in our caravan to , ( yours being the same spec as ours ) but hasn't bothered me that much , I forget about it when we are watching it through the day , but on a night time we tend to use the bit that flips up on end of the bench in the kitchen bit and sit the telly on there and watch it in bed from that angle, I bought a 1 metre cable for the TV aerial so stretches round from the front window connection , don't know if you do this ? on another note , has anything went wrong with yours ? We are happy as punch with ours .

Craig . :)

Hi Craig,

No, we just leave the TV at the front. I was fortunate enough to drop on an unbranded TV which was donated as a hand-me-down from the sister-in-Law for one of our kids. As I am admittedly normally a bit of a brand snob when it comes to electronics, despite her best intentions, it was destined for the loacal tip, until I noiticed that it had a separate 240VAC - 12VDC power supply ! - All I did was pick up a 12VDC cigarette lighter plug, a male jack plug and some suitable cable from the local branch of Maplins and now have a TV that we can use off-grid.

Regarding the van - Absolutely love it. It’s actually our 1st van - 1st service just around the corner and no problems to report. We did have an issue a few months ago whereby the alarm would automatically sound as soon as it was armed, but I cured this by reseating the RJ45 plug from the PIR, where it terminates in the alarm box under the front left bench seat. The only other comment I could make is that the door keys are quite tight inserting into the lock, and sometimes require what I would consider to be excessive force. I initially put this down to the new keys being a little sharp, although we don’t have this problem with the locks on the front locker, or any of the side access panels. Not a major issue, and I’m sure I will sort it one way or another.

Although it almost seems like it’s purpose-built for it, I’ve so far managed to refrain from installing an Xbox in the rear cupboard next to the lower bunk for the kids entertainment as the whole point of being away is exactly that, being away from everything including the Xbox, and in fairness to the kids, they dont complain and do embrace the whole concept of the great outdoors, but maybe one day I’ll succumb !

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Lc ,
our keys are to a bit it's stiff when trying to get unlocking and locking the main door , side and front locks ok . As for the rear TV connections I done the same for the rear as i have for the front and bought a 1 metre cable for the ariel and the kids watch it on the rear diner table from bed , we done our first annual holiday in ours last year to Holland , no problems there (apart from the weather) :( but another bonus for the van now we have is bike rack that can be fixed to the back which we have done & love it . Our service also due around may , more money :angry:

Regards . Craig .

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Lc ,
our keys are to a bit it's stiff when trying to get unlocking and locking the main door , side and front locks ok . As for the rear TV connections I done the same for the rear as i have for the front and bought a 1 metre cable for the ariel and the kids watch it on the rear diner table from bed , we done our first annual holiday in ours last year to Holland , no problems there (apart from the weather) :( but another bonus for the van now we have is bike rack that can be fixed to the back which we have done & love it . Our service also due around may , more money :angry:

Regards . Craig .

I haven’t even considered the rear bike rack as I’m concerned about the additional weight that would be hanging off the back of the van, considering that it’s a fairly heavy van to begin with, although your car may be better suited to accommodating this than ours. This seems to work OK for us though :) ...

2yxg29l.jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a note for any casual readers about bike racks.
Not all caravans have the strength in teh back wall to carry a bike rack. If you are considering it check with the caravan manufacturer.

The other point that Craig has indicated, is that the weight of the bikes is not inconsiderable, and it will add significantly to teh caravans Yaw inertia. This means the caravan has a greater tendency to upset the stability of the whole outfit. Each outfit will behave differently so some may tolerate the bike rack better than others. The general advise is to avoid adding significant weight to the rear of the caravan.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Just a note for any casual readers about bike racks.
Not all caravans have the strength in teh back wall to carry a bike rack. If you are considering it check with the caravan manufacturer.

The other point that Craig has indicated, is that the weight of the bikes is not inconsiderable, and it will add significantly to teh caravans Yaw inertia. This means the caravan has a greater tendency to upset the stability of the whole outfit. Each outfit will behave differently so some may tolerate the bike rack better than others. The general advise is to avoid adding significant weight to the rear of the caravan.

That’s my concern Prof ...

Not wishing to scaremonger, but n my case, the 3 adult mountain bikes that are on the roof of my car in the picture above, plus a rack, even an aluminium one would add at least circa 40KG to the rear of the van, some 3.1M behind the axle and at quite an elevation ...

Nooooooo. :woohoo:

P.S. I suppose it would be one way to keep the nose weight down though, but there again, we digress ! :p

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
With the rack on the car you have the flexibility to take the bikes around when on holiday and the caravan is pitched up site.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am not keen on the idea of a rear mounted bike rack. There is the potential problem of it causing instability although most people seem to manage. For me if you are looking at 60 kg or so for this set up, then if you take it out of the loading allowance then in most cases staying within the MTPLM would be at best very difficult. Unless you can get the caravan replated to a figure that will cover the extra weight, I suspect that most users will be over the MTPLM and therefore running illegally,

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ray , hi ,
the only time at the minute so far we have had the bikes on the back is when we went to Holland , fully loaded and towing the van felt no different to when having the bikes on the back as to when we haven't got the bikes on the back. I think if it was going to put you over the weights the option of a carrying on the back would not be there, of course though, sensible loading internaly also helps?
Craig

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Craig
I can’t understand your logic on this one. Just because you can have the facility to mount a cycle rack and bikes doesn’t necessarily mean the caravan can’t be overloaded. Payload is payload no matter how you do the sums. The caravan has the facililty to accept a motor mover but that 30/35 kg comes out of the payload.
I took the van to a weighbridge last year and was quite surprised at how close to the MTPLM it came, but perhaps I shouldn’t have been as my careful weighing of every item in groups of kit ie 20-25 kg loads told me it would be quite close. We have quite a reasonable payload in our Sprite but compared to some vans with only 120kg or thereabouts I don’t know how they manage unless the car can swollow the excess. Although I suspect the truth is that they are above the MTPLM.

Jun 26, 2017
Visit site
Considering how far we’ve drifted off topic here, I can safely assume that I’ll only be needing to make one of the TV support thingies :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts