TV reception

Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I am new to caravanning, and the help on this site has been fantastic.

I would like to have a TV in the caravan, I have a flat screen TV with integrated freeview, what is the best kind of aerial to use, should I go for a digital tv aeriel on a pole, or a satelite dish.

regards

Joanne

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
If you are satisfied with what Freeview offers, you are only intending to use it in the UK, and are prepared to accept that you may not be able to get TV on some sites, then an ordinary TV aerial will do the job. Many people on here will suggest the Status 530 which does the job but (a) needs to be mounted on the 'van and (b) needs space underneath it for the extending shaft.

If your van does not have one already fitted, then an external aerial will be needed. There are plenty of kits around, most of which are designed to be attached to the A frame (the bit behind the towball) in some means or other. I used to have a set of push together tubes, pushed the bottom into the ground and tied the pipe to one of the front handles - never had an problem.

If you want essentially guaranteed TV and/or intend to go abroad then get yourself a satellite setup. There are many good sites for advice, such as www.satcure.co.uk and www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk. Get a minimum 60cm dish and you should be OK for most of Scotland/France/Germandy/Benelux/North Spain, but if you want to go to other parts of Spain or Italy you may need up to a 1m dish. If you are going to France buy your mechanical kit over there as it much cheaper in the DIY sheds. For a sat box either get a UK Freesat box or a secondhand Sky box with a Freesat-from-Sky viewing card (once off

Jun 17, 2007
Visit site
aldi are selling their mini sat system on sunday 2nd may i have one, once used once or twice you can set one up as quick as a directional aerial.h.

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
H

The Aldi kit is good and you are sure to get a picture wherever you go (pretty much).

The downside is they are on free to air, they do pick up the usual channels that you know like 1 2 3 4 5 and a host more , it does depend on what you want .

I bought the Maplins in a case 3 years ago and have never looked back .

What you do have to look out for is if you have youngsters about while tuning around is ADULT channels otherwise they are a good buy.

Sir Roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If you go for the Aldi one, i have one which is the same, be first on the door as they open, as they don't usually get many. Usually gone in first 15-30 min. Other wise, see if maplins have a deal on at the sameprice, its the same system. I got mine from liddles last yr for

Jun 17, 2007
Visit site
hi danny to reply to your question the aldi system is great value for money,the first time i used it there was a bit of head scratching, i would say the more you use it the easier it is dishpointer.com is very handy website but when you arrive on site make a note of the direction of other peoples dishes and go from there, the only thing i would add i bought a tripod to mount the dish on.h.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The problem with floor mounted sat, or any free standing set up, is its just too easy to steal.

I use cl's a lot, quite sites were any stranger can drive on site during the day, and literally take what they want.

We always chain up anything that will easily go into the back of a van.

Just a thought.

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
yes, ive got a few chains etc to take on our first trip, when i do get a satelite i will definitely get some kind of securing device

one that i was thinking of was once its set up the get some fishing wire, tie it to the satelite and then on a bracket under the van tie a personal alarm there and attach the fishing wire so if the satelite is taken out the bracket then it will definitely give them a fright and cause some unwanted attention :)

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
A lot depends on what sites you intend using Joanne.

If you are happy just getting Freeview a lot of the CC and private sites have TV hookup points on the electric hookup bollards. I'm sure the CC&C would also have them but I'm not a member of that club so I cannot say.

What you need is some coaxial cable and they usually sell this in the CC receptions.

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I also have an Aldi sat system. Its 12v/240v so it is permanently fitted to my vans 12v system. It works very well however it is a small dish so reception of Uk tv on the continent is limited.

Also Joanne, many sites, especially Caravan Club) have TV aerial points on the power towers. All you need here is up to 25 meters of areial cable with connectors - about

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I also have an Aldi sat system. Its 12v/240v so it is permanently fitted to my vans 12v system. It works very well however it is a small dish so reception of Uk tv on the continent is limited.

Also Joanne, many sites, especially Caravan Club) have TV aerial points on the power towers. All you need here is up to 25 meters of areial cable with connectors - about

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts