tv signals

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
we have just bought a new van and found we could not get a tv signal at our site, next time out we are planning on taking a freeview box with us. what can we do to ensure we have a signal, indoor areial, booster, external aerial? whats best? looking foward to your replies.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nigel & Jane, Sorry, but if you cannot receive an analog signal you have no chance of recieving Freeview. They use the same transmitters and freeview requires a slightly stronger signal than the analog. Not all transmitters carry freeview, so it really depends on where you are. Extrenal ariels will always provide a better signal. Quite few people invest in Satelite receivers which offer a better signal over the whole of the UK and some areas of the continent

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The only way I can see that freeview can be satisfactorary in a caravan is if you first get a good external aerial and then get the booklet that shows where Freeview can be received and plan your sites accordingly.As John says Sky is the answer

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
thanks for your reply john, i dont know anything about satelite receivers. do they work like a normal aerial only better and do you need a subscription or anything to receive channels through them. Any suggestions on makes and models would be appreciated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Probably wrong John BUT have a look on www.ukcampsite.co.uk under Caravans on the forum as there is a thread going on there (10 pages!) that you would find informative.Also www.davesull.dabsol.co.uk

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi again, I don't pesonally have a satelite system so I cant answer all your questions, but I am refering to SKY and you would definately need an external dish ariel. - even cheaper the art of conversation.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi read the recent aerial review in prac caravan. I gave up the Status omnistat 7 yrs ago and use a Vision Plus Image 530/18-2 VHF/UHF/FM aerial. Go to http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?d=33&t=413&p=0&op=

for details it does digital terrestrial which I've not tried but am considering a set top box.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have the status Ariel fitted but we also carry an external Ariel and a 12 ft pole (3 sections) for poor reception areas. Added to this we have a 12 volt booster in the van for the external Ariel and this set up has not let us down yet. We also have a free view box which at most locations works through the status Ariel. Worth checking to see if freeview is available in the area you are visiting .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Nigel & Jane, we use a freeview box with our standard Status aerial on many sites with no problems. However, as John L says, you do need a good signal & some transmitters are yet to be switched on to digital. Many of those that are on need to run on low power because the digital signal causes interference with analogue. If you know the postcode of a site you intend to visit, check on www.freeview.co.uk for coverage before you leave home.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts