Twin axle caravans on French municpal sites

Sep 24, 2007
Visit site
I was talking to a like-minded caravanner at a recent show and he said he thought that twin-axle caravans were not allowed on French municipal camp sites.

Anyone know if this is fact or fiction?

Dec 15, 2005
Visit site
Complete fiction. There's no blanket rule re. twin axles and municipal sites here in France. If you're a Brit, with a UK reg'd 'van, (and depending upon local rules) then you should be fine. Many municipals over here don't allow on French twins as there's a problem with the 'gens du voyage'. Brits don't encounter the same problems in general. But, if at all possible it's always prudent to check ahead first.

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Its both, and some commercial sites do not allow them as well. We have used a couple but friends of ours were turned away from another. Other friends we admitted to a small commercial site, and got set up, but when the owner came arround he was forced to pack up and leave, with young children at 10 o'clock at night.

We now always (having to go in July and August book in advance making it quite clear what type of outfit we have, and don't now use municipal sites.

Alan

Jan 3, 2007
Visit site
David...A bit of both really. I believe it is mainly a myth and is based on some sites who discourage large outfits because the pitches are small and not suitable. Also, the travelling fraternity, who use twin axles, are not welcome on any site so some may? put a blanket ban on all t/a vans to keep them out.

From a personal perspective I have used many French sites, but not the municiples, and we have never been turned away. I do however, usually book in advance and tell them but it has never been a problem.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
I was concerned about this myself, because I'm going over for the first time in a couple of weeks, so when I was planning my journey earlier in the year I emailed all the French sites that I thought were potential stops and all of the municipal sites told me they did not accept twin axles, however there are plenty of others who do, and all of them had web sites and were more than helpful and I made all my reservations in advance by e mail. This is great because I've printed everything off just incase there's a problem when I arrive. Most have taken my reservaton on good will as its out of season, and some have just taken a deposit of around Euro10. I've even booked sites for the journey back in 2008!!!

Good Luck

Sian

PS I'm still trying to find out about the situation with gas and what's the best to do, if you've got any info on that let me know, thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts