Twin axle leveling

Dec 27, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know of an easy way of leveling a twin axe van?

I have looked at various devices but all seem to be designed for single axle vans, or am I missing something blindingly obvious

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

I have had a twin axle for a couple of years now and I try to select sites that have hardstanding which are usually levelish.

But I carry a 4 foot plank which is about 1.5 inches thick,this is often sufficient for any small variation in level across the axle.

When it is necessary to use the levelling blocks which I also carry, I put the van on the pitch so that it is parallel then reverse back on the pitch about 3 to 4 feet further than I want to finish up. Set the levelling blocks about a foot apart in front of the wheels and then drive slowly over them and continue up the levellers until the van is level.

Long live level pitches! Regards Jim

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave

I've just changed from a single to a twin axle and have given some thought to this problem. On the single I use a Bulldog leveller which does the job perfectly, allowing about a 6 inch discrepency to be coped with. I intend to buy another Bulldog so that I can use one under each wheel. If I wind them up and down simultaneously I don't see any reason why they should not work as effectively as on a single axle. When I use the new 'van with this arrangement I'll post a report on the success (or failure!)

Good luck with whatever solution you try.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
When we got our first twin axle we found that nomatter what we did we could not get the van level, after about 20 minuites of trying a chap came over and adviced me that i was using my leveling block on the wrong axle (the rear one), apparently the rear axle is a tandem axle and will not lift the van. i then put the leveller in front of the front axle pulled the van up and the van was level, one thing we do find though is that if we need to pull the van up the leveller more than half way the rear wheel comes off the floor which showes that the front axle does indeed take most of the weight of the van, seems very strange to me as i thought both axles would have been the same but it does work exactely as the chap said it would. our van is an ace celebration 590 2005 model so i assume all swift group vans will have the same axle layout and probably all vans with alko chassies. I don't know why it works or what a tandem axle meens but give it a go it may just save you some money.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Iceman

This is something new to me.I would worry about putting all the weight on the suspension and tyre by just raising the front wheel.If this is an acceptable way off levelling I must say it is a lot easier than trying to raise both wheels and suspension.

I would be interested to know if many other readers use this method.

Regards Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Iceman

This is something new to me.I would worry about putting all the weight on the suspension and tyre by just raising the front wheel.If this is an acceptable way off levelling I must say it is a lot easier than trying to raise both wheels and suspension.

I would be interested to know if many other readers use this method.

Regards Jim
Sorry about the name confusion. Jim

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi Iceman, my thoughts exactly, but if you have a motor mover fitted you have to be extra careful not to snag it on the levellers. I have the long and also the short levellers and between them seem to get the van leveled okay. Of course the big secret is to drive around the site until you find a pitch that is almost level for minimal pain.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jim, I would not worry too much about the weight on one axle as most twin axle vans are only 100 kilos or so heavier than theire single axle equivelant, my coachman vip 520/4 weighed only 90 kilos less than the ace and that was on a single axle.

Regarding Ians comments he is of course right if you have a mover fitted you should always be carefull not to catch them. our van has the powerwheel mover fitted to the front axle and we find that by using the longer steady incline type of leveller block we have plenty of room between block and mover.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Icemaker

Today I sought the opinion of the Caravan Club and also AL-KO technical team. The CC after some behind the scene debate with a supervisor agreed with you that it was OK to level on the one axle, however the AL-KO guy thought that this was OK for a short period,though he felt it was unwise for longer periods 2 to 3 weeks quote.

I also agree with you about the weight difference between some single and twin axle vans,not withstanding the fact that the tyre pressures on the twin axle are lower than a similar weight single axle van.I can not say if the Torque on the suspension arms is the same either which could have some bearing on the matter.Thanks again for your input

Regards Jim

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Dave I have bought 2 sets of Fiamma leveling Pads they fir together like Lego Blocs so I can do various cobinations to get the van level best things since sliced bread.

Regards

Tony Fitz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts