Twin Axle

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I am in the process of changing my caravan and seriously looking an end bedroom twin axle.

1)I am concerned about about the exta length and manouverabilty.

I currently have a Tyhoon GTI single axle, the twin axle will be about 3 ft longer..

2)I intend to get a mover fitted, but understand you have to take the load off the front wheels by using the jockey wheel to raise the caravan.

Any comments/experiences on the above would be much appreciated

Thanks, John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John, not quite a year since we switched from Typhoon GTX to twin axle Sterling.At first the extra length looks daunting, but withing an hour or so you will be fine. Just take your time.We found the stability much better than a single axle.Make sure your tow car is up to the job.We have an auto Jeep which makes reversing easy.Twin axles are near impossible to move by hand so we had a powertouch mover fitted.We just raise the nose of the van slightly and and it works fine.To be honest we wouldn't go back to a single axle, the extra room is great.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I'm on my third new twin axle van and don't think I'll ever go smaller. Just make sure that you're reversing skills are up to scratch cos you'll never move it by hand, personally I wouldn't bother with the mover just make the car do the work. In a lot of respects the extra length makes them easier to reverse due to the back coming round a bit quicker and there's more 'van to see, you just have to re assess your "turn in" points. I can reverse mine into the garage first time and it's always a delight to see the amazement on the bus drivers face when it goes in straight away (I can guarantee that the minute I decide to put it away a bus will come around the corner)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

We're on our 2nd van and first twin axle - an Avondale Landranger which is c21 feet long in "old money". We soon got used to the extra length although reasonable reversing skills are very useful -I find it easier reversing in a straight line than my single axle - less wandering from side to side - or perhaps I've just got better after 7 years practice!? My wife tows the van too although she prefers wider roads like motorways. The size of the van and "scrub" effect of the extra set of wheels make hand manoeuvring nigh impossible. We too love the extra room inside although our kids decided they were too large for caravanning soon after we bought ours.

On the negative side there are extra costs involved. The extra size adds to a number of costs. Servicing is more expensive remember 2x tyres, wheel bearings, brake shoes. The extra length, also, adds to the costs of reseals and the like. Our annual service has just brought tears to my eyes as at

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John

We're on our 2nd van and first twin axle - an Avondale Landranger which is c21 feet long in "old money". We soon got used to the extra length although reasonable reversing skills are very useful -I find it easier reversing in a straight line than my single axle - less wandering from side to side - or perhaps I've just got better after 7 years practice!? My wife tows the van too although she prefers wider roads like motorways. The size of the van and "scrub" effect of the extra set of wheels make hand manoeuvring nigh impossible. We too love the extra room inside although our kids decided they were too large for caravanning soon after we bought ours.

On the negative side there are extra costs involved. The extra size adds to a number of costs. Servicing is more expensive remember 2x tyres, wheel bearings, brake shoes. The extra length, also, adds to the costs of reseals and the like. Our annual service has just brought tears to my eyes as at

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
To raise the front of your double axle caravn you could use a Trail-A-Mate which is a hydraulic jockey wheel that converts into a hydraulic jack and raises the front of your van up to 38cm or 15 inches and this woudld raise the front wheels clear.

When you needed to level side to side or change a wheel you have a suitable and safe lifting device already with you.Visit www.trail-a-mate.com

TRENDING THREADS