Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
I am considering a twin axle van with a fixed bed I can walk around and a rear washroom firstly can anyone point me in the right direction? Also what are the drawbacks to owning a twin axle? Will the motor mover on my single axle van be transferable and will it be suitable?I drive a Kia Sorento Titan Auto.Thanks for any advice given.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
A twin axle with a walk round bed and a reat washroom, cant think of a mode like that.

We have a Lunar delta 640EW which is a t/a , rear full width washroom and fixed o/s bed.

The models with a walk round bed that i have seen have the shower and toilet in the centre of the van, toilet one side and shower on the other.The side bed isnt a drawback for us as it gives us the luxury of the full width bathroom. Also on ours we have the solid partition between the bedroom and the living area, which at night closes of fully giving a snug bedroom, some of the newer fixed bed models just have a plastic folding door and a flimsy blind.

Drawbacks to a t/a van , the only draw back that I have encountered is manouvering the van when of the car, although i find reversing the t/a very easy, especially eith the auto box. I am sure that there will be a posting very shortly to tell you of the benifits of s/a vans and that twins are not needed.

Your Sorrento should have no problems hauling a large twin (we looked at one a few years ago) , look around any camp site and the sorrento is probably the most favoured tow car.

Moving the mover from a single to a twin, depends on the mover. we has a heavy duty power touch fitted to our single axle which fortunatley was able to be transferred to the twin, but I had to get a new control box from powertouch. I believe though that this is the only mover which is transferable. As a thought the mover is at its limits and is slow but does move the van, if cost were not a problem i would have opted for an all wheel mover.

You dont say if you are looking for new or used, but have a look around dealers and see what suits you.

A used model which is prety rare and unusual was the Lunar delta 620. It has a rear fixed bed toilet and shower in middle and living at front. the bed is widthwise . Pretty rare to find though

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gilbert

Does it have to be a double bed . We have the Lunar Delta sb .(sb) means single beds a walkway through the centre to a full width rear shower and toilet .

It is also t/a and towed with a Citroen c8 no problems.

Hope this helps .

Tom

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
Gilbert

I'm confused , or is yourself who is confused :)

You asked the same question last Sat.

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/newforums/fm_messages.asp?fo=17&fm=430164
I hope your not getting old and fogetful like um er ah zzzzzzzzzzzzz

oh, Me!
Sorry thorpedo its you my old friend ,the last time I was talking about single axles of a certain length to fit my storage space.Im now considering putting the van into storage which would allow me to consider a longer van even a twin axle,Hope that explains it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Gilbert,

Do you mean an Island bed or a side bed?

As far as I know there are no island bed models with full rear transverse washrooms.

Bailey , Swift and Explore Group all have their offerings.

I think Carlight are still going( ??) so they will build whateever you want, but at a cost.

Cheers

Alan

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry thorpedo its you my old friend ,the last time I was talking about single axles of a certain length to fit my storage space.Im now considering putting the van into storage which would allow me to consider a longer van even a twin axle,Hope that explains it.
See what you mean, Go to the naughty corner for not paying attention Thorpedo!.

I take it that you want an end washroom because they tend to be larger.

My twin Bailey Louisiana has the Island bed and a good sized lounge area, I have the wrap round seating, but the side washroom is a smallish fit. You'd struggle to settle down on the dunny with a Sunday broadsheet. I find the shower is plenty big enough, but I'm not of a 'large frame'.

I tow this with a 2.9d Kia Sedona auto which is so easy it's a pleasure. The Sorento would be even better.

May 27, 2007
Visit site
I'm amazed at your posting, we have a Kia Sorento with a Europa 495 and have considered the twin axle upgrade but I'm unsure as of yet. With the s/a atleast you can move it into position very easily and some of our favourite stances might not be so available. I guess I'd need a mover.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ally

I have a TA and have never been stuck yet.

Can we move by ourselves? Not really hence we have a mover.

Does it tow well and reverse easily? In my opinion yes!

Will it pirouette like a SA? No.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Can anyone tell me where one actually has a choice between a single and a twin axle? Surely, once you have decided on make, size and layout, the issue of whether it's a single or a twin is already covered and incidental. There used to be a few models on the market where one could choose between the two, but none come to mind any more.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

Someone on here has a Geist which is purportedly heavier than my TA yet only a SA.

Bailey and Swift have tried to cram TA luxury onto a SA eg the Pageant S7 Limosin. However the penalty is clear upon entry . The lounge area is smaller.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
At a fraction under 1600kg, the Pageant Limousin S7 is not what I would call a particularly heavy single axle. There are others on the market that go up to 1900kg. On the other hand, I don't know of any single axle over 8m overall length, so if you want to go bigger, you automatically get a twin whether you want one or not. Like I said, one doesn't have a choice so the question of single or twin axle doesn't really come into the picture.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Lutz

2 Feb 2009 03:22 PM At a fraction under 1600kg, the Pageant Limousin S7 is not what I would call a particularly heavy single axle.

Nor would I Lutz as it's a twin axle and at 1589kg mtplm it's a light one ;O)

Brian (",)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Whoops, then Alan must have got it wrong because I was only commenting on his post where he referred to the Pageant Limousin as a single axle - or did I misunderstand him?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
No Lutz you haven't missed anything.

As you said yourself you choose what you want and then see if it's a SA or TA.

My point really was that makers are trying to woo people who really want , say the Wyoming layout, offering the Limosin on SA, and kidding the gullible they have what they want. I leave weight out of this as it is of no consequence to me with my tug.

Cheers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Offering the Pageant Limousin in the same layout and same size, but as a single axle would be perfectly feasible, though. There's nothing about this model that would make a twin mandatory and nothing would have to be sacrificed.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
True Lutz , But I am not aware of a British manufacturer who goes that far. They always seem to upgrade to TA at a certain point.

Cheers

Alan

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
True Lutz , But I am not aware of a British manufacturer who goes that far. They always seem to upgrade to TA at a certain point.

Cheers

Alan
Had a twin axle. Very nice but far too big to tour with. The extra space is very nice but not worth the extra work in towing and manouvering. Gone back to single axle with smaller car and better fuel consumption.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts