Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
Over 23 years we have had 3 single axles and 3 twin axles. I will no doubt eventually return to single axles once the family have left us but even then we have got used to the space and may continue to keep the size and space for the 2 of us. I feel that each van we have owned has been more stable on teh raod than the previous, as axle technology advances, but I personally feel that twin axles are more stable. They have the added advantage that if you have a blowout there is another wheel to keep it in line and have never had any problems after a blowout. Manouvering is listed as a major con and yes they are usually heavier and are much more resistant to turning (hence road stability) but with an appropriate tow can and good manouvering skills I have nefer yet not been able to get onto a pitch in this country or abroad. (I do have a front tow bar for particularly tight spots).

The most common problem, particularly abroad, is that a proportion of sites will not take twin axles but we always book in advance and have always managed to find sites in the area we want to be in.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Having been caravanning for well over 20 years, and towed practically anything there is to tow, I have to say that twin axle vans are tops.

We currently have a Link 575 which is twenty five years old and still a joy to own. The axles (as the name suggests) are linked together simlar to double axle lorries, and this gives a very smooth tow. Going over rough ground there is little or no weight transfer as the aaxles rise and fall to cope with the bumps.

Manouvering is more difficult by hand than with a single axle, but even a hitch mounted "motor mover" can cope with this and is well worth

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
Maybe I should apologise for my comment about broadband - you can't be such a bad lad since you tow with a Landcruiser.
Dont apologize Alan, I asked for that, I was waiting for it.

Its all good fun.

P.S. Also a HI-Lux 4X4.

Regards

Edd

Feb 27, 2006
Visit site
I have to agree that twin axles are a lot more stable.

They are a thing to shift without a motor mover though if you have restricted access.

Our Eccles elite Explore is a joy and so much more room that it makes the reduced mpg well worht while. No trouble getting in anywhere but only do UK at the mo.

Good point re tow car too - mine is at a 1:1 ratio and easily deals with the van - a bit more power might be useful in a head wind though.

Go twin axle - you will not regret it!

Kingsley

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Again, I have to agree that twins are good! As these also tend to be more upmarket, they are often fitted with dampers/shock absobers too, which can only add to the stability. I feel slighly smug about this every time a 'bouncer' overtakes!

If you absolutely must move by hand, wind the jockey wheel down s far as possible. This reduces the load on the front axle. and really does ease manoeverability.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
'Bouncing' has nothing to do with single or twin axles. Any relatively light trailer, whether single or twin, and not fitted with shock absorbers, will bounce. Conversely, a heavy trailer with shock absorbers will not bounce, regardless of whether it is single or twin axle.

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Again, I have to agree that twins are good! As these also tend to be more upmarket, they are often fitted with dampers/shock absobers too, which can only add to the stability. I feel slighly smug about this every time a 'bouncer' overtakes!

If you absolutely must move by hand, wind the jockey wheel down s far as possible. This reduces the load on the front axle. and really does ease manoeverability.
chris, sorry if I'm being thick, but I am not familiar with twin axles. But how does lowering the jockey wheel REDUCE the load on the front axle. I wd have thought it would increase it...???

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
chris, sorry if I'm being thick, but I am not familiar with twin axles. But how does lowering the jockey wheel REDUCE the load on the front axle. I wd have thought it would increase it...???
Hello Colinn- What I intended was to raise the front of the caravan as far as possible (or to lower the jockey wheel as far as possible relative to the van)-sorry if this was not clear.

Just be careful that the rear skirt of the van doesn't catch anything on the ground

Chris

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
'Bouncing' has nothing to do with single or twin axles. Any relatively light trailer, whether single or twin, and not fitted with shock absorbers, will bounce. Conversely, a heavy trailer with shock absorbers will not bounce, regardless of whether it is single or twin axle.
Lutz-I thought my post made clear the advantage of dampers being fitted, whatever the axle type

Jan 23, 2007
Visit site
I would like to say that although twin axels are by far the easier to tow they are not practical for the modern day, and will i fear kill off new caravanners, the weight issue is now so bad that any new buyer basically needs a 4x4 or a huge car to tow a so called well equipped van, (with the exception of a few) therefor the issue of weight and stability will be know more, and i fear in 30 years or so there will be very little caravans on the road we are already cast as a older persons holiday (for the record i am 33 the wife is 32 and 2 children of 10, 11...........!!!!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Tudor,

It is generally thought that twin axles do tow better, and many contributors would vehemently uphold that view. Technically the pros and cons have been debated on this forum, but no conclusive positive evidence has been brought forward to support either case. So it's down to personal choice.

There are two issues that are recognised and accepted. Firstly the twin axle does carry the extra axle and wheels, so there is the extra weight of the arrangement. This might impact your payload capacity of the caravan and the car.

Secondly, As Chris points out, manhandling a twin axle can present a problem, as the caravan resists turning because of the second pair of wheels will be 'scrubbing'. My own experience of moving a large twin axle by hand was on a painted factory concrete floor, and even with the jockey wheel fully extended the front pair of wheels still strongly resisted turning.

I currently have a twin axle trailer, fortunately I can manoeuvre I with the car, so not a problem for me.

May 28, 2007
Visit site
Hello Tudor,

It is generally thought that twin axles do tow better, and many contributors would vehemently uphold that view. Technically the pros and cons have been debated on this forum, but no conclusive positive evidence has been brought forward to support either case. So it's down to personal choice.

There are two issues that are recognised and accepted. Firstly the twin axle does carry the extra axle and wheels, so there is the extra weight of the arrangement. This might impact your payload capacity of the caravan and the car.

Secondly, As Chris points out, manhandling a twin axle can present a problem, as the caravan resists turning because of the second pair of wheels will be 'scrubbing'. My own experience of moving a large twin axle by hand was on a painted factory concrete floor, and even with the jockey wheel fully extended the front pair of wheels still strongly resisted turning.

I currently have a twin axle trailer, fortunately I can manoeuvre I with the car, so not a problem for me.
Go Twin axle every time! We used to have a Lunar 610/4, best van we ever had , Well I say that until I looked in the new Bailey 620/6 just the other day. We used to pull the Lunar with a 4x4 but with the weight of the new bailey (unladen 1281Kg---Laden 1540Kg) I can pull it with my old ( but still in good Buckle) Volvo 740 estate which will tow 1900Kg....Who needs a 4x4.LOL!! Now don't you all go out and buy a 740 Volvo Estate. I never used to rate them much but after owning 3 there's no better estate for towing. ( One third the price of a Mercedes and just as good. Regards to all Twin Axle Tom

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts