two door caravans/Continental openings

Aug 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi We do a lot of touring in France and also have a very elderly touring van with a door on the continental side - and find that very useful because we have to park the normal uk side against a wall for storage.

About 20 years ago we saw a van with two doors on it which would solve our problems. Does any one know what make it might have been. As far as we can remember it was quite a deluxe caravan of its day.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
I remember a Bailey Senator from the early to mid ninties had 2 doors, shame the idea never caught on really. The layout was good and there wasn't much wasted room either

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julie - We have just spent a week at the Blackmore CC site and there was a c'van two pitches away with doors on both off/near side. It was British made in the 70's and was a Royale. I think your options are limited with UK manufacturers but I understand there are several continental c'vans on the market which would meet your requirements. Check out the Practical Caravan magazine for further details of the foreign makes - but I doubt they have doors on both sides.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ann is correct in thinking that Royale caravans had two doors, and yes they were a bit of class in their day, and still are today. There are still plenty of Royales about, but as production stopped in 1982, you need to find a good one. I'm chair of the owner's club, so if you fancy joining us and being the envy of lots of modern caravan owners,give me a ring on 07811839187. Emmerson

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One of the first vans we had was a Viking Fibreline circa 1973(Don't know the model) which had two doors. It was a fantastic van as it had been left in an orchard for three years and we restored it. The exterior was fibreglass and it had rounded plastic corner windows one of which we lost going en route to a rally one weekend. As we could not get a replacement we managed to cut and mould a sheet of perspex from the local DIY shop to fit. The inside was all mahogany and after a bit of varnish looked as good as new. We also reupholstered and recarpeted as well as installing mains, a carver hot air system and hot water.

The second door was in a handy place. When you went to the loo the door swung round to fit flush with the wardrobe so you could have an escape hatch if you had unwanted visitors.

The only regret is that i had to sell this van as i did not have the space to store it. In build quality and style it far outshone any of the modern vans.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julie

Just seen a Royale advertised for sale in the Practical Caravan that has just popped through the door. You may be interested - it appears to have everything, including a motor mover!

TRENDING THREADS