Tyddyn Llwyn

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Has anybody stayed at Tyddyn Llwyn near Porthmadog?
We're booked for a week on the site in a fortnights time and I was wondering if I'll need to get some rock pegs for the awning because the pitches are described as all weather?
This will be a first visit to this part of the country for us in our caravan, we were either going to stay here or go to Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire, but I've always fancied having a look around the Snowdonia national park.
This will be our first trip this year because of family happenings and some serious kitchen d-i-y at home which I've now finished at last. We had our caravan serviced last week(M D Mobile Caravan Services), Mick fitted us in at a busy time for him but he is a top guy and not expensive.
I've ordered a set of tyres (Firestone 175/65/14 85T) from Tyres on the Drive which will be fitted at home tomorrow morning. The tyres on the caravan are 7years old and need replacing so I've spent the money that I'd have saved by not going away until now :dry:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
According to the order email the fitter balances the wheels and fits new valves and he also takes the old tyres away. The four tyres cost £161 including 'free' fitting and vat so it's best to be safe than sorry :)

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Come on Parksy :p
Even a seasoned Honorary Woosie knows a club hammer, crow bar and rock pegs are a mandatory piece of kit.
We did Snowdonia a few years ago.
Take a day out on the Welsh Highland Railway. Well worth it.
If you want to do the Snowdon Mountain Railway book it in advance. That's essential to avoid disappointment.
Have a great time you and Carole

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Thanks DD, I've got the crowbar and the lump hammer but to be honest it's not often that I put the awning up because we've got enough room for the two of us so I'm either completely outside watching the world go by or inside reading or watching the tv if the weather is poor. So far I've managed to swerve buying rock pegs, if I'm taking the awning I'm happy on grass but needs must this time because every caravan pitch is hard standing I think. We rarely do the sitting in the awning thing but it seems a shame to leave it behind. Thanks for the tip about the railway, I wouldn't mind walking down the mountain but I don't think I've reached the walking up stage yet. :lol:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Don't forget to have the wheels balanced as well. :silly:
The tyre fitter duly arrived and fitted the four new tyres without any trouble but I'm glad I was there because he wasn't going to balance the wheels. :dry:
When I asked him about wheel balancing, which is included in the price, the fitter replied that he'd 'done lots of caravan tyres and balancing wouldn't make any difference because I wouldn't feel the difference'.
I told him that although I might not feel the difference my crockery and fixtures and fittings most certainly would so the wheels were balanced ;)
We're all set to get away on the 4th after what's become an expensive week with the service and new tyres.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Parksy said:
We're all set to get away on the 4th after what's become an expensive week with the service and new tyres.

Don't tell me about expensive week. :( Dropped the caravan off for its service yesterday whilst we still had the car, as car went in today for its wing to be re-shaped back to original. Pick the car up tomorrow and the van on Thurs. At least we have the promised courtesy car for the 2 days, only a few months old with 1,300 miles on the clock.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Even a seasoned Honorary Woosie knows a club hammer, crow bar and rock pegs are a mandatory piece of kit.

Not if you use a door canopy as no part of it touches the ground. ;)

100_0755_zpsnlgfgamb.jpg

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Parksy said:
WoodlandsCamper said:
Don't forget to have the wheels balanced as well. :silly:
The tyre fitter duly arrived and fitted the four new tyres without any trouble but I'm glad I was there because he wasn't going to balance the wheels. :dry:
When I asked him about wheel balancing, which is included in the price, the fitter replied that he'd 'done lots of caravan tyres and balancing wouldn't make any difference because I wouldn't feel the difference'.
I told him that although I might not feel the difference my crockery and fixtures and fittings most certainly would so the wheels were balanced ;)
Unbalanced wheels on any vehicle will cause sympathetic harmonic vibrations which will create havoc with caravan sealed joints never mind the Woosie Mugs.
I just don't understand this reluctance to balance caravan wheels and tyres.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
When I dropped the van off for its service yesterday I asked them to see if there were any balance weights on the inside rim. I had the spare wheel balanced a couple of months ago (free gratis at A Trusted Supplier. ;)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I've moved this thread because it's become more about tyres and rock pegs :)
The fitter balanced my four but only after I insisted, he probably thought he'd save a bit of time by not balancing them but it didn't take long for him to do the job anyway. He also thought that I would have chosen reinforced tyres, I'm guessing that he meant tyres for a small van.
I replaced the tyres with four having the same specification including the same load and speed rating so I wouldn't think that fitting commercial vehicle tyres would make much difference.
I think that I did ok on the rock pegs, Towsure are selling them at £7 for 20 :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts