Tyre Advise - Again

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for your replies regardiing Tyron Bands.
I now would like advise as to which is the best recommended Brand of TYRE to Fit.
Trailor Maxx - Yes or No ????
What other Brands ?? 185/65/14 Size.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
HOVIS1 said:
Thank you all for your replies regardiing Tyron Bands.
I now would like advise as to which is the best recommended Brand of TYRE to Fit.
Trailor Maxx - Yes or No ????
What other Brands ?? 185/65/14 Size.

18565R14 is obviously important but moreso is the load rating (speed rating (a letter) is not important in the UK as you will never go that fast!) Most tyres of that size seem to be 86 rated which will likely not be enough for your caravan, so you may be stuck with TrailerMaxx.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to keep on, but I am having a very difficult job locating Tyres - 185/65R/14 - with 91/ 93 Rating to suit my Caravan.
Also Dealer/ fitters seem to be thin on the ground around Grantham.
Any further advise regarding the above ?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We found e tyres had tyres to fit our caravan at a decent price and came to us for fitting the next day. Great service and good prices.

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The site that King Sproket recommends also shows another tyre that sounds suitable. Slightly dearer than the maxxis though.
Nankang TR-10
185/65 R14C 93/91N

My recent experience of kwikfit was very positive. I ordered the tyres based on the 15 year old manual and when the guy arrived he took one look and said that what I'd ordered from them were not suitable. He made a phone call and departed, to return a couple of days after with the correct tyres. So my story doesn't help your tyre search but if you have kwikfit close to you I would certainly recommend their mobile service.

Hope you soon get sorted
Best wishes Brian

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Sproket said:
A quick web search is showing Availability from My Tyres

I would take a very close look at this particular tyre as the picture shows it to have an assymetric tread which usually means they have a fixed direction of rotation - despite being advertised as caravan tyres.

If they have a fixed direction of rotation it will limit the use of a spare (if you have one) to one side of the van - until it can be taken off the wheel and reversed.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Woodlands,

Generally most cars only have 1 pair of driven wheels, so the other pair are as you say 'dragged'. Dont forget that tyre have a potentially greater role in stopping the car and the loads imposed on the tread can be significantly greater under braking than acceleration.

The purpose of the tread pattern is principally to ensure that surface water can be removed from under the the tyres contact point. One would presume that if a tread is designed to extract water when rotating in one direction , it may be less effective if rotated in reverse.

Arguably its not so much the ability to remove water to put the engine power to the road that is as important as being able to apply the brakes effectively. This applies to all wheels driven or not.

I suspect an incorrectly fitted tyre could invalidate insurance, and may even be prosecutable as an unroadworthy vehicle.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Totally agree (for once) with the Prof.

You must also remember that in France (and several other EU countries) it is a legal requirement that the same make, model, and size of tyre must be fitted on both ends of each axle. You could have Pirelli on the front (if you are mad enough!) and Michelin on the rear, and front and back do not even have to be the same size, just side to side must be identical.

Having said all that, if you are not compliant with the vehicle's Type Approval then in the event of an accident (blame or not) your insurance will likely be void and as Prof says you may leave yourself open to prosecution.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Directional tyres, have the ability to get the road water away from the tyres foot print, if you had the tyre on the side in the wrong rotation, then you would have basically a potential for One tyre Aquaplanning and the other gripping. OMG. Slick on one side , Grip on the other.
:angry:

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
So for I have been offered NANKING Tyres of the Type an Rating that I require.,
Has anyone had experience of this make ??
Price wise they seem on par with all the other fitting charge etc. - By E-Tyres - they come to us !!!!!!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Woodentop said:

You must also remember that in France (and several other EU countries) it is a legal requirement that the same make, model, and size of tyre must be fitted on both ends of each axle. You could have Pirelli on the front (if you are mad enough!) and Michelin on the rear, and front and back do not even have to be the same size, just side to side must be identical.

Having said all that, if you are not compliant with the vehicle's Type Approval then in the event of an accident (blame or not) your insurance will likely be void and as Prof says you may leave yourself open to prosecution.

The insurance requires the vehicle to be in a roadworthy condition . The insurer could only turn the claim down if the tyres made it unroadworthy and caused an accident or because of their nature would have increased the premium.

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
My Final Post regarding Tyres.
I wonder how many Caravaners, are aware of the fact that they have a Spare Wheel Fitted, but have never investigated how to access this in the time of emergency!!!!
It is well worth the effort in a calm environment, for in the time of emergency, everyone is a little "Up Tight"
:angry:

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Whatever you do, before letting anyone fit 'new' tyres on your caravan, check the date of manufacture, which will be on the sidewall of the tyre. We ordered two tyres from a well known company on the web and when they arrived to be fitted, we checked the date on them, before they were fitted and refused them on the spot, as they were old. We then phoned a local tyre place and they were very knowledgeable and had the specific tyres we wanted, which were manufactured much more recently and the price was almost the same as the ones on the web, so don't forget your local tyre place!

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Woodentop said:

hi woodentop i would be interested to see some info on the legal requirement to fit the same MAKE of tyre on the same axle in france and indeed several EU countries . For several years now i have been coming across this same topic on forum after forum indeed the telegraph printed something similar in 2012 and yet there is not one single official piece of info that says this is true.. there is no mention on any offical site concerning the need to have the same make of tyre fitted on the same axle. this appears to be another case of if you repeat something often enough, it is true...

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
JonnyG said:
Woodentop said:

hi woodentop i would be interested to see some info on the legal requirement to fit the same MAKE of tyre on the same axle in france and indeed several EU countries . For several years now i have been coming across this same topic on forum after forum indeed the telegraph printed something similar in 2012 and yet there is not one single official piece of info that says this is true.. there is no mention on any offical site concerning the need to have the same make of tyre fitted on the same axle. this appears to be another case of if you repeat something often enough, it is true...

I was told by the tyre fitting outfit (a sort of French Kwik-Fit only better) when I had two fitted over there last year. They told me they could only fit a pair and of identical type. I suppose they should know?

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Woodentop said:
JonnyG said:
Woodentop said:

I was told by the tyre fitting outfit (a sort of French Kwik-Fit only better) when I had two fitted over there last year. They told me they could only fit a pair and of identical type. I suppose they should know?

umm a tyre fitter! like i said i have never found a proper bonafide source to prove that is french LAW or any other European countries law. . Note on the Michelin site it states it is "Advisable to fit tyres with the same thread pattern on the same axle.. Note the word "advisable" and really Michelin properly should know if there is french law?

TRENDING THREADS