Tyre pressures

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does anybody ever bother to adjust the tyre pressures on their towing vehicle? I always inflate ours to 'max load' pressure for towing then drop them back again when on site to normal. I then blow them back up again before we leave. I don't see anybody else doing this which suggests they're either towing with under-inflated tyres or running around during their stay with over-inflated ones.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Like you martin I was thinking that I was the only one to check tyre pressures, wheel torque and nose weight other caravanners must do it when we are not watching

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Good practice, Martin, but I must admit I don't adjust every time either. I leave everything at the 'max. load' pressure and drive around overinflated when not towing. The only disadvantage that that has is to increase tyre wear but an under-inflated condition is a safety hazard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
every time and i check the nose weight as well.and the wheel nuts keep a elec pump in the van. but i am a bit of a plod to have everything right

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I ALWAYS inflate and de-inflate on towing trips. I keep a cheap Argos electric pump and tyre pressure gauge always in the car. Don't know about keeping tyres at towing pressures between tow's but I would think you are in danger of being found out handling wise on strange roads and terrains, weather etc.

I think if you have an accident and your tyre pressures are not right at the time the police might take a dim view and your insurance may also be at risk. All in all a risk not worth taking for very little effort/outlay on your part.

I also do the van nose weight, tyre pressures and wheel nut torque. Again a cheap argos torque wrench will suffice.

Net result PEACE OF MIND!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why put max pressure in, you are only putting 50 to 100kgs onto the back of your car.Unless you are carrying (normal vehicle loading) 5 passengers and all their heavy luggage. Most of the caravan mags advise 4 or 5lbs extra in the rear tyres.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
By pumping the tyres up to 'max. load' pressure, you are stiffening their sidewalls, Barney, making them less susceptible to 'wallowing' under influence from the forces acting on the towbar. Higher tyre pressures only increase wear and make the ride a little harsher but on the other hand they do have the advantage of improving the handling characteristics of the car/caravan combination.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts