Tyre replacement

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Hi. I wonder how many people are aware that the "caravan club" recommend that tyres should be changed after 5 years. I started researching van wheels ( Rim & tyres) in order to buy a spare wheel having traveled without one for a few trips and not feeling happy about it.

I quote:

When to Replace Caravan Tyres
It should go without saying that tyres which are damaged or worn to the legal minimum tread depth must be replaced immediately. However, tyres which are visually OK, and which have seen little or even no use are also recommended to be replaced when they reach a few years of age. As a general rule (and following guidance issued by the tyre makers‟ trade body, the British Tyre Manufacturers‟ Association, it is advised that caravan tyres should ideally be replaced when 5 years old, and should never be used when more than 7 years old. This advice is borne out by the Club‟s own research into caravan tyre failures, which confirms that the likelihood of a tyre problem increases after such age. Our research further suggests that tyres which need a high inflation pressure (say 50psi or more) require greater care still. Such tyres should be closely examined for signs of deterioration from 3 years old, and it would be strongly advised not to use them beyond 5 years old. It is not the case that all tyres over these ages will rapidly fail. However, the statistical likelihood of a
problem occurring increases noticeably with age. Given the disruption to your holiday that a tyre failure could cause (let alone the risk involved), it is strongly recommended that you follow this guidance.

So my tyres were manufactured in 2005, what a shock I got, I will be replacing them before my next trip.

Details about tyres: Checking your Caravan tyres

You can check how old your caravan tyre or tyres are yourself. The information you need is found on the sidewall, and denoted by either 3 numbers if manufactured before 2000, or four numbers after 2000. For example:

Where 34 denotes the week of manufacture and 9 represents the year - 1999.
This tyre was manufactured in the 34th week of 1999.

Where 21 denotes the week of manufacture and 07 represents the year - 2007,
meaning this tyre was made in the 21st week of 2007.
If your tyres are older than 5 years old, you should consider replacing them!

185R14 (where only two numbers are shown)

Are known as having a 'standard profile' (sidewall height) of 80. Please input this detail when using the website for a tyre quote.

Rim 5.5 J ( If you need a new rim, best to get the info from the handbook or inspect the rim itself, it should be stamped somewhere on the rim.)

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022844/caravan-tyres-and-wheels-mo.pdf

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yes. And that’s the advice in my Owners Manual too. Also if you do get a rapid blow out it’s adviced to check the other tyre for possible damage due to the additional transient load it has taken. My tyres run at 60psi so even were I to get a slow puncture I’d change it for the spare and if possible source a brand new tyre. Only if essential would I have the puncture repaired and that tyre would become a short term spare. We’re i to suffer a rapid blow out then both road tyres would be changed.

My caution is borne of experience having a big blow out on my first caravan. I’d checked the tyres based on my experiences with cars and motorbikes and they looked fine. I too was totally ignorant regarding tyre ageing. But at 60 mph on a dual carriageway the nearside let go with a sound like a Hercules passing by. Fortunately the outfit remained stable (but noisy).

Fortunately I had a spare wheel so changed it and slowly drive onwards. When I change my tyres on age all three are renewed even though the spare hasn’t seen load or sunlight. I find it difficult to understand why anyone should travel without a good spare given that the only option if you have a puncture is a roadside puncture repair or at worse a very costly new tyre (if available) at far more cost than you can purchase a tyre for if not in such pressed circumstances.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Ours looked fine on the last caravan that we had until it came to a service and the engineer says they were cracked on the inside of the tread even though the depth was still looking good , both tyres changed .

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
BTW My Swift Accord van is 2010, so the tyre's fitted were actually made 5 years earlier already, unless the bloke who sold it to me last year, took the good tyres off and replaced them with old second hand ones. Sometimes I wonder, the van had absolutely no extras, no spare ( looks like the Alko spare holder was removed, no battery, faulty electronic control panel etc.) One cannot help wondering? Anyway after repairs and add on's still a good deal!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Grey13 said:
BTW My Swift Accord van is 2010, so the tyre's fitted were actually made 5 years earlier already, unless the bloke who sold it to me last year, took the good tyres off and replaced them with old second hand ones. Sometimes I wonder, the van had absolutely no extras, no spare ( looks like the Alko spare holder was removed, no battery, faulty electronic control panel etc.) One cannot help wondering? Anyway after repairs and add on's still a good deal!

That sounds a strange one as its unlikely that Swift would be using tyres that old on new caravans. Your hypothesis rings true. When sourcing new tyres for car or caravan I wont accept any with dates older than 6 months. My current Hankook Vantras (OEM type C rated) were only three months old when supplied.

Jun 20, 2017
Visit site
For the cost of new tyres these days plus the amount of time caravans spend sitting in one position, its my intention to swap mine at 4 years, has to be worthwhile to avoid any upset that a blowout can cause?
Thats assuming I actually keep the van that long !

Kevin

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Kevin, It is unlikely I will change van's in a hurry. Although not a new van, it is in perfect condition and in fact without a doubt better than most "new" vans what with all the mod's I have made!

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The first time I was aware of this it was the engineer who serviced the caravan after six years who said they were badly cracked and were dangerous so we did. A previous caravan we kept for ten years and never changed them. Not sure if we were lucky or tyres are less durable now.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
Grey13 said:

That sounds a strange one as its unlikely that Swift would be using tyres that old on new caravans. Your hypothesis rings true. When sourcing new tyres for car or caravan I wont accept any with dates older than 6 months. My current Hankook Vantras (OEM type C rated) were only three months old when supplied.

I think OC and myself replaced tyres at about the same time with the same tyres, By the sound of it maybe the caravan seller decided to sell that caravan as the cost of replacing many items was just too much. . I have removed our Alko spare tyre carrier as it's a not user friendly to use, and dangerous , if you have a puncture in Europe.also saves 6 kg .weight.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Kevin2306 said:
For the cost of new tyres these days plus the amount of time caravans spend sitting in one position, its my intention to swap mine at 4 years, has to be worthwhile to avoid any upset that a blowout can cause?

Kevin

After buying our first caravan sterling Eccles jewel. , then a Coachman 545 , then a Coachman 560, this last one has all the ticks covered except we cannot upgrade the MTPL , as on this years model does not allow it, also Coachman at that time only allow the original owner to do it in the first year. ,
Diversing, this caravan is great for us Sturdy Dry and a great tourer for us. Changed the tyres last year and also the gas Inlet hose, this is also lifed at 5 years unles the Stainless steel type.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Kevin2306 said:

Kevin

After buying our first caravan sterling Eccles jewel. , then a Coachman 545 , then a Coachman 560, this last one has all the ticks covered except we cannot upgrade the MTPL , as on this years model does not allow it, also Coachman at that time only allow the original owner to do it in the first year. ,
Diversing, this caravan is great for us Sturdy Dry and a great tourer for us. Changed the tyres last year and also the gas Inlet hose, this is also lifed at 5 years unles the Stainless steel type.

That’s a strange limitation on payload upgrade by Coachman. I wonder what their rationale is? Swift upgraded mine as the second owner and the van was then four years from its first registration date.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Clive, since then they have changed slightly, But even after having a new rear end due to cracks in the top Quarter . At the factory, The still would not up grade my weight. I should,look at the axle and see the limits. ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Clive, since then they have changed slightly, But even after having a new rear end due to cracks in the top Quarter . At the factory, The still would not up grade my weight. I should,look at the axle and see the limits. ?

Hutch
My van was under its axle limit so all Swift had to do was issue a new set of records and sticky label. It was the same with my S5 Pageant. Both these vans had the same gear as others slightly higher in the range which had higher MTPLM by having more fittings etc. But Coachmans time limit of 12 months dies seem strange.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Raywood said:
The first time I was aware of this it was the engineer who serviced the caravan after six years who said they were badly cracked and were dangerous so we did. A previous caravan we kept for ten years and never changed them. Not sure if we were lucky or tyres are less durable now.[/quote

We bought our caravan to tour Europe for my Tax requirements, after the first year of a "MAX "learning curve , tyre life, Gas hose life, Weight limits, Nose Weight limits, Wow what a learning curve, being an aircraft engineer it was amazing how much more to learn about the life caravanning, technical side was involved.
Safe towing to all. You never stop learning something new.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts