Tyre safety bands

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'd welcome thoughts/comments from anyone with experience of having tyre safety bands fitted. I had a puncture recently which got me thinking. I didn't have a problem on that occasion and was able to stop safely fairly quickly (the tyre, although fairly new, was ruined though). Since then I've noticed many situations when you couldn't stop safely due to no room at the side of the road, fast road etc. I just wonder if tyre safety bands would allow you to drive on, within reason, to find somewhere safe to stop. The other thing is our van is approx 10 years old and whether it's worth the cost (but there again age of the van shouldn't matter if it reduces the risk to me and my family)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Your van might not be worth very much, but how much is peace of mind? Get them fitted. You can always transfer them to your new van should you get one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Martin

I've had Tyron Bands on all three tyres of my last fOUR 'vans. With the last 'van I was going down the M5 at a speed I cannot admit to in print, heard a bang and saw a vast cloud of smoke to the offside rear. I slowed and went on the hard shoulder safely for a tyre change. I feel if I had not had thje bands, my 'van would have gone over. I am more than ever convinced of their worth and am keeping a closer eye on the speedo - I scared myself !

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Martin,

Take the advice buy them great things complete peace of mind they will do the job and protect you, never know when you will get a blow out or puncture

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Definitely go for it! I have heard that all police vehicles have them fitted, so maybe it's worth thinking about having them on your car as well as caravan?

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
Had to have seen it to have believed it myself. Towing a friend's caravan (his tow car laid up for the weekend) and bang, on the A1, off-side carvan tyre. The caravan did not move from the line whatsoever and I pulled over immediately and we changed the tyre. Since that, we had them put immediately on our caravan and when we got our new caravan December 2003, we called in to the garage within 30mins. of picking it up to have them fitted. Don't mess about - get them on - it's better to hope you'll never need them, but they really really do work!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Relating to Alloy wheels - are Tyron bands necessary. Our dealer tells us that the profile of the alloy wheel is different from steel and therefore the bands are not realy necessary.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Are Tyrons made of steel? doesnt this react badly in contact with alloy like in where all Discoverys rot? Or are Tyrons made of stainless or some other treatment that may stop the rot? Just a thought! Andy P

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Had to replace a tyre in Spain that had a Tyron fitted. What a sight it was, 3 tyre fitters trying to get the tyre off. It was funny, 30 plus centigrade. It took them over 1 hour to get it off and the new one on even when i had given them the instructions that was in spanish and umpteen languages. It wa slike watching a cartoon. But well worth knowing that they serve a purposewhen fitted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts