Tyres for SEAT Alhambra

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
I have a SEAT Alhambra 130Tdi 130. I changed the front tyres at just under 20000 miles, having swapped front to back at about 12000 miles. The new tyres I bought are Uniroyal Rainsport 1 size 205/55 ZR16W, supplied by my local SEAT Main Dealer. Price seemed OK at £170.00 for 2 fitted etc.

I am concerned at the apparent wear rate - I've done 3000 miles and the tyres have worn 1.5 mm. This means they may only last 12000 miles at a conservative estimate (no towing during the period). Has anybody any recommendation for which tyre make to use for best wear for Alhambra/Galaxy/Sharan?

Thanks

Truckeral

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
HI Alan,

We have a VW Sharan that always has run on Continental ECO Contacts since new 5 years ago - since then the car has covered 107 000 and has just gone on it's third set . I think you need to check whether your car needs the reinforced tyre which is a harder compound.

Of note is a couple of things people said on both the Honest John Forum and the Ford Galaxy forum they have noted poor wear with non reinforced tyres the Contis with an with out the reinforcement look identical and it has been noted that the incorrect are sometime fitted, also your choice is how can I put this lightly - unconventional by far the most popular makes on these cars are Dunlops (can be said to be noisy) and Conti's (can wear badly if not aligned )

I also run ours at 36 psi when on the school run and 40 when on a run or with the van on the back

Good Luck

Monkeys husband

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Look on your tyres for a treadwear rating. If it's treadwear 120 then they're only expected to last 12000 miles. If I remember Uniroyals are fairly soft so they may not have much of a life expectancy. Continentals on the other hand have a better wear rating, but at the expense of grip. I had continental ecos on a Corsavan dti which I use for day to day stuff and they only lasted 18000miles. You usually find the budget tyres have a higher treadwear rating. I had Nankang tyres on an astravan which lasted over 40000miles.

Apr 5, 2005
Visit site
Look on your tyres for a treadwear rating. If it's treadwear 120 then they're only expected to last 12000 miles. If I remember Uniroyals are fairly soft so they may not have much of a life expectancy. Continentals on the other hand have a better wear rating, but at the expense of grip. I had continental ecos on a Corsavan dti which I use for day to day stuff and they only lasted 18000miles. You usually find the budget tyres have a higher treadwear rating. I had Nankang tyres on an astravan which lasted over 40000miles.
Thanks for the information, guys. The Tread Wear Rating is 280 so I should get decent wear from them. Looking at the Galaxy Forum I see that others only record low mileage from their tyres. I seem to remember that factory fitted tyres always last longer than replacement ones. Having bought mine from my SEAT dealer I presume what they sell will be the correct tyre for the car - the Uniroyals I have are reinforced. I may lower the pressure - SEAT recommend 48psi.

Cheers

Truckeral

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
go onto the auto express web site ,and look for the tyre tests ,you will be shocked at some of the best known brands results ,the one which came top was Vredestein and there budget model Barum came second

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Galaxy with Conti ECO which are the reinforced ones.

I got just under 30,000 front before changing and still going strong on the rear at 45,000.

Of this I probably have towed (A MTPLN 1300Kg van)for about 15,000 miles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts