Tyres on a twin-axle caravan - different brands per axle

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
Hi All,

Planning to replace tyres but £100 per tyre is a bit expensive for the budget. So I've been thinking about changing on one axle for now and on the other one a couple of months later.
Same specs but the load rating (going with a higher one).

Are there any concerns with such an approach? Does it matter on which axle the new tyres go first?

Thanks all.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi All,

Planning to replace tyres but £100 per tyre is a bit expensive for the budget. So I've been thinking about changing on one axle for now and on the other one a couple of months later.
Same specs but the load rating (going with a higher one).

Are there any concerns with such an approach? Does it matter on which axle the new tyres go first?

Thanks all.
No real concerns but why not buy all together in a couple of months time. Just put the money to one side until you are ready to buy all four. Might even obtain a discount for a bigger purchase depending on what and where you buy.

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
No real concerns but why not buy all together in a couple of months time. Just put the money to one side until you are ready to buy all four. Might even obtain a discount for a bigger purchase depending on what and where you buy.

Don't want to make another mega tyres thread :)
* Current tyres are still OK this year but all of them need to be changed next year
* For some reasons Bessacarr spec'ed tyres with absolutely 0 weight margin on top of the van MTPLM, which I find inadequate

I'm having a long journey in France very soon and just want to minimise the risk. It doesn't look like I have an urgency to change all of them now but replacing 2 will give me some peace of mind (and less burden on the budget)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its worth noting that in some european countries and I think France is one of them that states tyres on the same axle must matched.

Seems the decision may have been made for you.

I'm not sure your logic about the load rating on the tyres is correct. No tyre manufacturer would be silly enough to give a tyre a rating value and not engineer into the design enough extra capacity to deal with that stated load under normal road conditions, where the dynamic loads caused just through normal driving are quite surprisingly bigger than the static load.

The problem would of course be exacerbated if the caravan is already overloaded, but them your opening a another can of worms about the safety and legality of that.

There's no harm in going for a greater load margin, which may well cost more, but is there any tangible benefit of over specifying?

Jun 16, 2023
Visit site
Its worth noting that in some european countries and I think France is one of them that states tyres on the same axle must matched.

Seems the decision may have been made for you.

I'm not sure your logic about the load rating on the tyres is correct. No tyre manufacturer would be silly enough to give a tyre a rating value and not engineer into the design enough extra capacity to deal with that stated load under normal road conditions, where the dynamic loads caused just through normal driving are quite surprisingly bigger than the static load.

The problem would of course be exacerbated if the caravan is already overloaded, but them your opening a another can of worms about the safety and legality of that.

There's no harm in going for a greater load margin, which may well cost more, but is there any tangible benefit of over specifying?

Just out of curiosity is there any other caravan model whose tyre specs are exactly caravan's MTPLM?
I just want to have more than 0kg margin just in case I buy too much wine in Auchan

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I rem Buckman, stating he wanted to upgrade his tyres on his Buccaneer, and had problems.
Out of interest , what load rating do your standard ones have??.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just out of curiosity is there any other caravan model whose tyre specs are exactly caravan's MTPLM?
I just want to have more than 0kg margin just in case I buy too much wine in Auchan
I had a Bailey with a payload upgrade to 1400kg but Bailey said nothing about upgrading the tyres from 1420 kg to a higher load index. I know my weighing is very accurate but I could not guarantee to be within 20 kg in 1400kg so I fitted a higher load index caravan/trailer specific FRT tyres.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Hymer with both our SA vans had specified and fitted tyres with a load rating correct for the van's maximum loading, not adding an arbitrary margin on top of those the tyre maker's testing etc yielded.

It's a concept I totally agree with, not seeing a logic to add arbitrary margins on margins but probably it's my aviation background where the components' ability has to be known.
I also realise the tyre's compliance is all part of the caravan's suspension, and fitting higher load rated tyres than needed will very probably lead to a harsher "ride", not something our fragile van structures need. So, I don't think Hymer and the tyre makers have got it wrong and I need to up my tyres load rating, just as I don't do so with our cars.

With caravan tyres there is a "hidden" margin in that few of us will fit tyres rated only up to 60-62 mph, more typically we have tyres capable of carrying their rated loads at way higher road speeds than the van will ever see.

That said I am aware that TyreSafe the charity take a differing point of view in respect to caravans and don't trust the tyre maker's knowledge, testing etc.
LINK
Some tyre brands nor would I, but respected international industry leading brands, I think they are up to "speed" on the ratings of their tyres.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I rem Buckman, stating he wanted to upgrade his tyres on his Buccaneer, and had problems.
Out of interest , what load rating do your standard ones have??.
Yep on our 2000kg twin axle we had Falken 175 / 65 R14 VAN01 90/80 tyres fitted at a cost of £266.52. I don't think the Falkens are a budget tyre?

Not sure how any budget tyre could cost +£100 each? The tyres were fitted by Protyre at their depot.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yep on our 2000kg twin axle we had Falken 175 / 65 R14 VAN01 90/80 tyres fitted at a cost of £266.52. I don't think the Falkens are a budget tyre?

Not sure how any budget tyre could cost +£100 each? The tyres were fitted by Protyre at their depot.
Falken are a well respected mid range tyre owned by the Japanese company Sumitomo. I have had them on Saab 9000, Nissan Note and on Pajero off roader. No complaints at all.

Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts