Tyres on a twin-axle caravan - different brands per axle

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Definitely no tyres were under inflated as they were checked just prior to setting off. As we never had a TPMS at the time, I used to check them religiously before setting off. We had only travelled about 4 - 5 miles on the motorway. Cheap Ovation tyres were probably the cause.
As has been suggested tyres can pick up punctures even when not punctured pre the trip, most puncturing happen where the tyre is in use.
4 to 5 miles travelling, even sub a mile and most particularly at the speeds normally used on motorways could certainly way overheat a tyre carcass.
Fact 3, there is no harm or reason not to use a higher rated tyre, but it offers no functional benefit and might cost more so this points is a matter of personal preference and how deep your pockets may be.

Not even the alteration in compliance the differing trye structure needs to gain a higher load rating?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As has been suggested tyres can pick up punctures even when not punctured pre the trip, most puncturing happen where the tyre is in use.
4 to 5 miles travelling, even sub a mile and most particularly at the speeds normally used on motorways could certainly way overheat a tyre carcass.
Maybe on a car travelling at a higher speed it will over heat. I did have a slow puncture on our current caravan, but luckily with no ill effects. To be honest I think it was just the quality of the tyre.

Example we were on a site in France and had been for over 24 hours when the tyre exploded. We did have a TPMS and prior to arrival pressure was spot on. I put it down to it being a cheap and nasty budget tyre. We now have Falkens on our caravan and strangely enough the tyre pressure stays the same unlike the previous tyres which always needed pumping up prior to departure.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts