Tyres with Tyron bands

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Your post was in reply to ProfJohnL's statement that he couldn’t understand why people fit Tyron bands to their caravans, but not to their cars, so I presumed that your post was relevant to the virtues of Tyron bands at least on caravans, but which I was trying to point out that they don’t exist.
I was offering a suggestion and not making a statement. I thought that Tyron bands were still being sold so not sure how you can think they do not exist.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
We had Tyrons on our first van. All well and good until you need a new tyre, then you have to go with Kwik Fit or find another fitter that will deal with them which at that time was not at all easy.
Mel
I have had two caravans with the bands and when the tyres needed replacing no one has refused. Twice the fitters went by the instruction sheet and tool which I carry all the time. Dearest I have been charged is £15 some zero.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I have seen no evidence that they work nor that they do not. You seem to be taking everything on trust so all you can do is look at the cost and decide if you think it is worth the possible extra security it promises.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have had two caravans with the bands and when the tyres needed replacing no one has refused. Twice the fitters went by the instruction sheet and tool which I carry all the time. Dearest I have been charged is £15 some zero.
I think yourself and myself must be amongst the very few that have the Tyron portable kit.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have seen no evidence that they work nor that they do not. You seem to be taking everything on trust so all you can do is look at the cost and decide if you think it is worth the possible extra security it promises.

However, one would expect a manufacturer to provide evidence that his product does work before putting it on the market. Otherwise it would amount to being a confidence trick to get money from an unsuspecting customer.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There are videos by Tyron showing the testing on a medium SUV. Finabel standards are quoted but they are related more to defence force vehicles. Not many of us will expect to have 20 rounds through the sidewall. That would be a bad day. Albeit better than through the doors or screen.

Yep the South African Defence Force used them extensively. When being shot at you need to be able to keep moving out of line of fire.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
There are videos by Tyron showing the testing on a medium SUV. Finabel standards are quoted but they are related more to defence force vehicles. Not many of us will expect to have 20 rounds through the sidewall. That would be a bad day. Albeit better than through the doors or screen.

All the videos that I have seen only show how the vehicles behaved with Tyron bands, not how they would have performed under otherwise identical conditions without them. Consequently, the videos don't prove anything because without comparative data they don't give any indication what improvement you get for your money.
I don't know of any car manufacturers that have approved their use but without such approval they would, strictly speaking, be illegal because they amount to a technical modification that could affect vehicle handling.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
All the videos that I have seen only show how the vehicles behaved with Tyron bands, not how they would have performed under otherwise identical conditions without them. Consequently, the videos don't prove anything because without comparative data they don't give any indication what improvement you get for your money.
I don't know of any car manufacturer that has approved their use but without such approval they would, strictly speaking, be illegal.
I know as it’s been discussed many times before. One obvious omission to my mind is running the SUV with deflated tyre(s) without Tyron bands fitted in various combinations. Rather than fit Tyrons I bought a Citroen BX 🤔

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The FINABEL standards relate to "Combat" tyres, and not normal domestic vehicles.

The majority of combat vehicles use very different wheel rims, They are designed with split rims that are held together with multiple bolts. The tyre bead os a close fit to the diameter of the tyre well, so a retention bead cannot be manufactured into the rim. Under these circumstances if a tyre deflates the forces of driving will very likely allow the tyre bead to move across the width of the core making useless. This is where a tyre band would keep the deflated tyre in a more drivable position on the rim.

Car and caravan wheel rims do have tyre bead retention ridges (Which is why tyres go POP when they are being fitted. You simple do not need a tyre band on normal domestic tyres. Its a waste of money, and it can make getting tyre changed far more difficult if the tyre band fitting and removal kit is not available, and even if it is available some fitters may not know how to use it or may refuse to use it.

The manufacturers reference to FINABEL standards is totally irrelevant to domestic cars and caravans.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't know of any car manufacturer that have approved their use but without such approval they would, strictly speaking, be illegal because they amount to a technical modification.
The same probably applies to thousands of other items?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The FINABEL standards relate to "Combat" tyres, and not normal domestic vehicles.

The majority of combat vehicles use very different wheel rims, They are designed with split rims that are held together with multiple bolts. The tyre bead os a close fit to the diameter of the tyre well, so a retention bead cannot be manufactured into the rim. Under these circumstances if a tyre deflates the forces of driving will very likely allow the tyre bead to move across the width of the core making useless. This is where a tyre band would keep the deflated tyre in a more drivable position on the rim.

Car and caravan wheel rims do have tyre bead retention ridges (Which is why tyres go POP when they are being fitted. You simple do not need a tyre band on normal domestic tyres. Its a waste of money, and it can make getting tyre changed far more difficult if the tyre band fitting and removal kit is not available, and even if it is available some fitters may not know how to use it or may refuse to use it.

The manufacturers reference to FINABEL standards is totally irrelevant to domestic cars and caravans.
As far as I am aware none of our Landrovers or Bedfords that were used in combat had split rims, but obviously in other countries it may have been different.

Actually I am wondering if using a split rim for combat vehicle is a good idea as you will get a lot of bolts flying around in the event of hitting a landmine? However then no need to worry about Tyron bands. They may have been good years ago, but not with modern cars.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Knowing I can't get a tyre off a rim that is fitted with bands, till I have removed the bands, but I can quite easily get a tyre off a rim that has no bands just safety ridges, rather convinces me bands stop tyres coming off rims.

However, how much safer the wheel assembly is with the tyre retained, an d the probability risk of one coming off at all, is IMO the only bit in question?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
But the bands can only prevent the tyre bead from coming off the rim, not the tread from separating from the rest of the tyre, nor can it prevent the carcass from disintegrating.

Last edited:

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
But the bands can only prevent the tyre bead from coming off the rim, not the tread from separating from the rest of the tyre, nor can it prevent the carcass from disintegrating.
Great, but wait, is that not exactly all and what those that fit them hope they provide?

Just what others believe safety rims will do for them.

Neither give the tyre such unrealistic attributes, neither I suspect claim to, only do what they are designed to do.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Great, but wait, is that not exactly all and what those that fit them hope they provide?

Just what others believe safety rims will do for them.

Neither give the tyre such unrealistic attributes, neither I suspect claim to, only do what they are designed to do.

I ask myself what's the benefit of having the bead stay on the rim thanks to Tyron bands when, in the meantime, the rest of the tyre has totally disintegrated. I speak from experience as that's what happened when I had a blowout on the caravan.

Reactions: Dustydog

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I ask myself what's the benefit of having the bead stay on the rim thanks to Tyron bands when, in the meantime, the rest of the tyre has totally disintegrated. I speak from experience as that's what happened when I had a blowout on the caravan.
The benefit of a tyre remaining on a trailer wheel, however that retention is achieved, is the unit has a higher probability to remain stable. That stability being desirable, enabling the driver to chose as safe a stopping solution as the situation allows. Simultaneously coping with an unstable trailer, being considered as making those options more limited.

IMO, the safer situation is to not encounter, any situation potentially likely to “test” the tyre to rim retention.
Again IMO, with trailers so no massive manovering lateral destabilising forces to unseat a bead, so lose air, the most likely cause of tyres coming off the bead is rooted in underinflation.

I contend few road use tyres go from running perfectly correctly to disintegrating, a true blow-out, an instantaneous structural failure. Those that do being of substandard build or hitting the likes of a brick or bad pothole at speed.
Way more likely, and particularly with trailers, they will structurally fail due to overheating denaturing the tyres’ structure.
The underlying cause of the overheating, flexing generated heating caused by running some distance, so for sometime, underinflated.

Hence, I am firmly in favour of trailer TPMS to be aware long before tyre underinflation stresses the tyre, so be best able to address the issue.
Way cheaper, much safer and massively less hassle, than first discovering a problem via running the tyre to its disintegration.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The benefit of a tyre remaining on a trailer wheel, however that retention is achieved, is the unit has a higher probability to remain stable. That stability being desirable, enabling the driver to chose as safe a stopping solution as the situation allows. Simultaneously coping with an unstable trailer, being considered as making those options more limited.

I know that's what the manufacturer claims, but he has never verified that claim by demonstrating that stability is significantly worse without his bands, even if the tyre has been jettisoned completely. I very much doubt that a deflated tyre, let alone a tyre bead with a few bits of remaining rubber flapping around provide much lateral stability, whether Tyron bands are fitted or not.

I contend few road use tyres go from running perfectly correctly to disintegrating, a true blow-out, an instantaneous structural failure. Those that do being of substandard build or hitting the likes of a brick or bad pothole at speed.
Way more likely, and particularly with trailers, they will structurally fail due to overheating denaturing the tyres’ structure.
The underlying cause of the overheating, flexing generated heating caused by running some distance, so for sometime, underinflated.

That is exactly what happened in my case. I admit to not having checked the tyre pressures before moving off, so the burst tyre was running underinflated at motorway speeds for almost half an hour before the heat built up to such an extent that it suddenly failed completely.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Whether or not it works surely it is up to the individual to make the decision? No one on here can prove whether they work or not.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Whether or not it works surely it is up to the individual to make the decision? No one on here can prove whether they work or not.

The customer has neither the means nor the resources to prove that they work. As a customer I would be very annoyed if I spent good money on a product only to learn later that it doesn’t fulfil the claims that the manufacturer has made. I would want to know that before I’ve bought it.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts