Oct 12, 2021
Visit site
Does anyone know about tyre depths or the law in general regards tyres when driving in France?

I'm conscious we are allowed to buy cast off part worns from the continent so I'm guessing their rules are more stringent?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know about tyre depths or the law in general regards tyres when driving in France?

I'm conscious we are allowed to buy cast off part worns from the continent so I'm guessing their rules are more stringent?
My understanding is that it's the Germans who are very stringent on tread depths, that's where most part-worns come from.

The legal limit both here and France is 1.6mm but there's much consensus that tyres should be changed at 3mm as wet grip becomes very poor under that.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
My understanding is that it's the Germans who are very stringent on tread depths, that's where most part-worns come from.

The legal limit both here and France is 1.6mm but there's much consensus that tyres should be changed at 3mm as wet grip becomes very poor under that.

That is 1.6mm for ¾ of the width across the centre and round the whole circumference.

Caravan tyres, like car tyres, have wear bars in the tread.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The local tyre shop looked at me a bit funny when I asked them to fit my winter tyres in late August until I told them I'll be travelling through the Alps in France on my way to Spain and won't be returning until just before Christmas. Of course, it does mean that I'm now driving on winter tyres although we've had temperatures up to 30° down here in southern Spain lately.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
One other point. It is law in France that not only must tyres on the same axle be the same size and for the same purpose, they must now also be the same make and model. You can have different tyres on the front and back but they must be the same on each axle (i.e. side to side.)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One other point. It is law in France that not only must tyres on the same axle be the same size and for the same purpose, they must now also be the same make and model. You can have different tyres on the front and back but they must be the same on each axle (i.e. side to side.)
I seem to recall that someone living in France checked on whether the tyres should be the same brand and model and apparently that is incorrect. They definitely need to be the same size and same purpose so that is correct.
What if you get a puncture and use the spare which could be a different brand, but the same tread and size etc?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I seem to recall that someone living in France checked on whether the tyres should be the same brand and model and apparently that is incorrect. They definitely need to be the same size and same purpose so that is correct.
What if you get a puncture and use the spare which could be a different brand, but the same tread and size etc?
French police accept an odd tyre if used as a spare, so space savers can be used. But they give you a notice to correct it. That has to be fulfilled without undue delay, and follow up checks can be made. My Skoda Superb had a full size spare but on a 16 inch wheel whereas the normal wheels were 17 inch.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
French police accept an odd tyre if used as a spare, so space savers can be used. But they give you a notice to correct it. That has to be fulfilled without undue delay, and follow up checks can be made. My Skoda Superb had a full size spare but on a 16 inch wheel whereas the normal wheels were 17 inch.
I think that applies in most countries. A combination of 16 and 17 inch wheels on one axle won't be acceptable other than as an emergency measure anywhere.

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When in France in 2017 we had a blow out with caravan and the tyre outlet fitted a Michelin tyre to the alloy. Tread was very similar, just different brand. They told me it was not a problem. Later an acquaintance living in France told us that the legislation applied to same size etc and not brand. I cannot read or speak French so just accepted it especially after being told by French fitters it was not a problem. It may have change since 2016 though.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When in France in 2017 we had a blow out with caravan and the tyre outlet fitted a Michelin tyre to the alloy. Tread was very similar, just different brand. They told me it was not a problem. Later an acquaintance living in France told us that the legislation applied to same size etc and not brand. I cannot read or speak French so just accepted it especially after being told by French fitters it was not a problem. It may have change since 2016 though.
Your understanding is what I understood. But I guess if you have a puncture that cannot be repaired and being British as well, you are a captive purchaser. Be nice to be given the actuality of the legislation though.

Reactions: Buckman
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

"worn" doesn't seem to be the issue with caravans,only age

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts