Tyron, worth having?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
That does not surprise me,

A foam filled tyre would generate a lot of heat as the foam is repeatedly squashed and re expanded as the wheel rotates at any great speed.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Ray & John.

I used to work at special metals Wiggin in Hereford where I did my appreniceship. The company makes "Monel and Inckonnel" nickel materials used in the manufacture of aircraft engine turbine blades and oil industry components to name a few.

In the hot forge shop they use huge manipulator machines the size of your biggest 6 wheel tarmac laying machine. These ran on puncture proof tyres with foam inner tubes, as solid tyres would of destroyed the concrete floor as the machines relied soft pressure for manouverability.

There are special app's tyres available that don't use air to keep their shape but they are predominately for low speed applications. The biggest hurdle is over comming distortion under load without compromising grip and then producing an affordable tyre.

Certain police, milatary vehicles do have run flat tyres fitted but these are few and far between.

Going back on track to the tyron bands, I don't think they offer anything more than a sycological reassurance factor as they do not use anything other than a standard tyre, which will desintigrate at it's normal rate anyway.

Steve L.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
In respect to use in caravan wheels the two major clubs insurers do recognise the use of Tyron Bands in so far as offering a premium discount.

I have mentioned this before and the decriers of Tyron Bands rush to say that the insurers would have no evidence as to the benefit of the bands. I leave you to judge whether the insurers know what the relative risk are, and if they are better place to assess the actual risk they insure.

However it is fact that they reduce the premium for the use of bands.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
They might simply have looked at their claims records and go by that?

Or they could have been seduced by Tyrons sales talk?

Could simply be they consider those willing to buy into Tyrons are inherently more careful people?

I don't know why or how but only that they value having the Tyrons by giving a discount.

In my 30 plus years caravanning I have now had three blowouts. All with Tyron Bands and all without drama and all without shedding the tyre. I have not gone out and redone the same blowouts without the Bands to see if it would wreck my vans so I simply don't know how much they contributed. But with the results I have had I am happy I have had them.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Of course, there is also a possibility that Tyron have entered into an agreement with the insurance companies and they are subsidising the discounts as part of their marketing strategy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts