UK standards

Nov 16, 2015
10,732
3,041
40,935
Visit site
Why can we not just keep to The imperial weight and measures, the international avoirdupois pound (symbol lb) has been defined as exactly 0.45359237 kg.. bring back Shillings and pence( Old money to the youths on here.) 240 pennies to the pound, you would by items in Guinieas, 1 pound and a shilling, , and what happened to Groats.
We would buy our fuel in Imperial Gallons, not that silly American gallon. (Who changed that) engine sizes were in Cubic inches not cc's. .

At least we still buy our Warm beer in Pints . :p
Happy and safe touring to all, make sure your tyre pressures are in PSI , not Newton, slug meters squared.
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,798
6,474
50,935
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Why can we not just keep to The imperial weight and measures, the international avoirdupois pound (symbol lb) has been defined as exactly 0.45359237 kg.. bring back Shillings and pence( Old money to the youths on here.) 240 pennies to the pound, you would by items in Guinieas, 1 pound and a shilling, , and what happened to Groats.
We would buy our fuel in Imperial Gallons, not that silly American gallon. (Who changed that) engine sizes were in Cubic inches not cc's. .

At least we still buy our Warm beer in Pints . :p
Happy and safe touring to all, make sure your tyre pressures are in PSI , not Newton, slug meters squared.

Bored? Best keep to the decorating than light this fuse. I did a mix of Imperial and SI for my ONC and degree but all SI for postgrad. So I guess all pupils after me must be SI. So probably the majority in UK are SI. But I quite like our current mix and match approach although I can drink my beer in any form of unit glass, bottle, jug, demijohn. As long as it’s beer I’m okay.
Cheers
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,732
3,041
40,935
Visit site
I also done SI and Imperial at school, and College. but temperatures were always in Centigrade , Wifeys were always in That Farnheight stuff.
But it is history and the young folk should know, how did kids learn Mathematics, by. Playing darts, add up the treble 17's , two 13's an a 7 and subtract that from 167 before the next man was throwing his dart. .
Are you working it out in your head now.
 
Oct 17, 2010
1,246
487
19,435
Visit site
The way I've felt lately, I feel old enough to remember the Groat. I tend to still convert back to imperial 1.2 m is 4ft 762 is 2' 6" and so on ,so I'm the instigator of my own confusion, Think the media (BBC) are best, It's 72 miles from Melton to Skeggy, but they will say it's 72 kilometres ?? That puts you somewhere between Sleaford and East Kirkby.
 
Oct 17, 2010
1,246
487
19,435
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
I also done SI and Imperial at school, and College. but temperatures were always in Centigrade , Wifeys were always in That Farnheight stuff.
But it is history and the young folk should know, how did kids learn Mathematics, by. Playing darts, add up the treble 17's , two 13's an a 7 and subtract that from 167 before the next man was throwing his dart. .
Are you working it out in your head now.

When throwing there were fellas who if they missed the double they were going for, they recalculated what they needed almost instantly.
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,732
3,041
40,935
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
The way I've felt lately, I feel old enough to remember the Groat. I tend to still convert back to imperial 1.2 m is 4ft 762 is 2' 6" and so on ,so I'm the instigator of my own confusion, Think the media (BBC) are best, It's 72 miles from Melton to Skeggy, but they will say it's 72 kilometres ?? That puts you somewhere between Sleaford and East Kirkby.

Strangley enough, We should have been going to The Waggon and horses, at South Reston in two weeks time but have had to cancel. Only 120 UK miles away.
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,732
3,041
40,935
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
EH52ARH said:
I also done SI and Imperial at school, and College. but temperatures were always in Centigrade , Wifeys were always in That Farnheight stuff.
But it is history and the young folk should know, how did kids learn Mathematics, by. Playing darts, add up the treble 17's , two 13's an a 7 and subtract that from 167 before the next man was throwing his dart. .
Are you working it out in your head now.

When throwing there were fellas who if they missed the double they were going for, they recalculated what they needed almost instantly.

13, double 15 and Tops.
 
Nov 16, 2015
10,732
3,041
40,935
Visit site
otherclive said:
EH52ARH said:
Why can we not just keep to The imperial weight and measures, the international avoirdupois pound (symbol lb) has been defined as exactly 0.45359237 kg.. bring back Shillings and pence( Old money to the youths on here.) 240 pennies to the pound, you would by items in Guinieas, 1 pound and a shilling, , and what happened to Groats.
We would buy our fuel in Imperial Gallons, not that silly American gallon. (Who changed that) engine sizes were in Cubic inches not cc's. .

At least we still buy our Warm beer in Pints . :p
Happy and safe touring to all, make sure your tyre pressures are in PSI , not Newton, slug meters squared.

Bored? Best keep to the decorating than light this fuse. I did a mix of Imperial and SI for my ONC and degree but all SI for postgrad. So I guess all pupils after me must be SI. So probably the majority in UK are SI. But I quite like our current mix and match approach although I can drink my beer in any form of unit glass, bottle, jug, demijohn. As long as it’s beer I’m okay.
Cheers

Bored, you must be joking, Changing Sanding discs, they used to be 2 inch by 2 inch triangular , now the are 175 mm, whatever that is. Now the sanding thing has started to decide its own speed, super slow, frantic or intermittant, my you it is about 30 years old What a load of old Bolxxh. Worked well. . . Washing down Paintwork tomorrow. Ready for Gloss oil paint forget that rubbish quick drying paint. Gives me a break for a few beers.
 
Oct 8, 2006
1,804
562
19,935
Visit site
DaveA1 said:
The way I've felt lately, I feel old enough to remember the Groat. I tend to still convert back to imperial 1.2 m is 4ft 762 is 2' 6" and so on ,so I'm the instigator of my own confusion, Think the media (BBC) are best, It's 72 miles from Melton to Skeggy, but they will say it's 72 kilometres ?? That puts you somewhere between Sleaford and East Kirkby.

The best bit is that wood comes in metric sizes but they are mostly metricated versions of imperial sizes!
 

Parksy

Moderator
Nov 12, 2009
11,904
2,399
40,935
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
.... But it is history and the young folk should know, how did kids learn Mathematics, by. Playing darts, add up the treble 17's , two 13's an a 7 and subtract that from 167 before the next man was throwing his dart. .

. When throwing there were fellas who if they missed the double they were going for, they recalculated what they needed almost instantly.

13, double 15 and Tops.

Hutch, it's ironic that you invoke 'UK Standards' of measurement while continuing to ignore Practical Caravan standards of polite online behaviour by using abbreviated or implied bad language within your posts when you use this forum.
The young folk that you mention might learn from reading some of your submitted content here that in spite of several polite requests to desist from doing so, you insist on using bar room phraseology on these message boards.
This is a mixed company public forum, I've taken down the last content that you posted because of your abbreviated childish bad language rather than waste my time editing it.
Kindly stop adding abbreviated or slightly altered bad language on this forum
 
Nov 11, 2009
20,798
6,474
50,935
Visit site
Much as I enjoyed darts, snooker or billiards the ability to quickly mentally add and subtract numbers didn’t play a great part in my mathematics courses. Try solving the equations below by addition and subtraction.
CE5-AF33-B-A7-F1-4-C78-A4-A1-DD6-C81-CEC362.jpg


:whistle:
 
Mar 14, 2005
17,848
3,221
50,935
Visit site
I have experienced IPS, CGS MKS and finally SI systems of measurements, and in my opinion the SI is superior in virtually all circumstances. I can see no sense in reverting to imperial systems just to show our independance when it will put a significant barrier to trade as the vast majority of countries accept and use SI. Even the USA accepts the Metric system as the internation system of measurement!

It's about time we full metrticised and got rid of our bury the head in the sand idea of running dual systems such as miles and pints.
 
Feb 23, 2018
889
66
10,935
Visit site
I measure my height & weight in imperial, but work in Metric for literally everything else!

I like how caravan manufactures still give the MiRO & MTPLM in Hundred Weight... 28.3cwt means absolutely nothing to me!
 
May 24, 2014
3,687
765
20,935
Visit site
Ok, lets clear a few things up. For some of you lot, we need to be talking in a couple o bob, half a knicker, a tanner and tuppence. Lets at least talk proper Ingrish like wot we were taught. I guess a few of you go back to farthings and the silver threepenny bit. ;) And you can keep your engine CCs, and even cubes, osspower is a proper measurement.

As for proper measurement, lets get it right also. In real terms we use a smidge, a nudge and hutch it up a bit. No need for micrometers and verniers for precise measurement, give it a wallop, it will budge into place. And look at the confused expressions on todays youth when you talk about shaving a couple o thou off, or show them a slide rule. How many of you still have Zeus charts with the price on the front marked in owd money. Drill sizes of 11/16 really are brain pain for the youth.

And as for other times, gone are the beloved Whitworth, BS Pipe, BS Fine and Course. Of course I can still remember the good old .303 calibre, prior to 5.56x45mm, and 7.67mm.

Oh the good old days :(

Oh yes, and you can stuff the Euro.
 
Sep 29, 2016
1,807
216
19,935
Visit site
otherclive said:
Much as I enjoyed darts, snooker or billiards the ability to quickly mentally add and subtract numbers didn’t play a great part in my mathematics courses. Try solving the equations below by addition and subtraction.
CE5-AF33-B-A7-F1-4-C78-A4-A1-DD6-C81-CEC362.jpg


:whistle:

That's easy, kids stuff, the answer is of course 'MTPLM minus Alko'.
 
Jun 20, 2005
17,609
3,704
50,935
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
I have experienced IPS, CGS MKS and finally SI systems of measurements, and in my opinion the SI is superior in virtually all circumstances. I can see no sense in reverting to imperial systems just to show our independance when it will put a significant barrier to trade as the vast majority of countries accept and use SI. Even the USA accepts the Metric system as the internation system of measurement!

It's about time we full metrticised and got rid of our bury the head in the sand idea of running dual systems such as miles and pints.

I too wonder why we use a mixture of imperial and metric. Even F.C. weigh in stones and pounds. I buy my diesel by the litre yet am told the expected mpg. My tyres are psi yet MIRO and MTPLM is metric. I abide by imperial speed limits. Measure distance in miles. No wonder we confuse ourselves :woohoo: Franglais, spanglais, let’s have good English ,all metric not a continuing half way house.
 
May 24, 2014
3,687
765
20,935
Visit site
I too wonder why we use a mixture of imperial and metric.

Simple enough answer.

"Im just poppng out for a couple of pints, dear" or "Im just nipping down the Old Oak for a couple of litres"
Doesnt have the same ring to it.

And when she says "What time do you call this, how much have you had?". Well, try working that one out in litres. B)

And
I abide by imperial speed limits.

Easy sorted..................Dont. :p
 

TRENDING THREADS