Unbelievable!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

When I first looked at this site for inspiration a year or so ago I found it really useful and, at times, funny too!

Just had a quick look today and I can't believe it- really I can't.

Why don't people smile, too many windbreaks, how dare you close your blinds after dark, TV ariels are an eyesore, we hate all 4x4's...I could go on.

As a 31 year old caravanner who has spent a lot of cash on a new car and van- I have had to endure a bit of stick from friends and colleagues who ask where my pipe and slippers are! I have managed to convince nearly all of them that caravans are good- and to be honest I can't get enough of it and tour all year round. If my mates looked at this site and saw some of the posts it would reinforce all their pre concieved ideas about caravanners. If anyone is reading this and thinking of getting a van- we are a nice bunch and not really bothered about little things so please join us!

For interest- this weekend I had a windbreak an awning and closed my blinds at about 10.00ish and drive a 2wd car. Said hello to everyone and had a jolly nice time thanks! I hope I fit in with the rules??

Let's just enjoy our great hobby and as long as people are not rude, offensive or hurtful- then let them get on with their holiday the way they like it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well said paul, i'll put my hands up to being in your gang!!

The appeal of caravaning is that everyone can do there own thing be it out and about having a chat with their temporary neighbours or sitting in the comfort of their caravan having a glass of wine of cup of coffee or whatever the hell they want to do. Most people spend all week trying to please people at work and want to get away from it all.................come on folks lighten up or people will start talking about us !!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
paul you have hit the nail right on the head,i posted elsewhere and got accused of being a grumpy old moaner, at 39.i think the people that are moaning about every thing are all hen pecked and it is the only time that they can get free speech is from behind a keyboard because they cant speek in public

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"Let's just enjoy our great hobby and as long as people are not rude, offensive or hurtful- then let them get on with their holiday the way they like it".

Well said - sums it up for me. (And I don't have a windbreak, 4x4, awning etc). I am not in the least bit fussed about how people CHOOSE to enjoy themselves and would not dream of imposing my views on anyone else. There is no right or wrong!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well well well!

I certainly agree with Paul 100%.

Had a great laugh at all the sycophants that posted remakably rude and dictatorial snippits over the w/e then got lambasted by the majority for it - as well as the swearing of course!

It seems that some people think its acceptable to pop up - say things like "What a load of b****cks" or "A backhander would sort this out" with all the finese and verbal skills of a 16 year old whose had one too many Stella's.

Now the same people are on this thread trying to scrabble up to the hill of the moral high ground.

Amazing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well well well!

I certainly agree with Paul 100%.

Had a great laugh at all the sycophants that posted remakably rude and dictatorial snippits over the w/e then got lambasted by the majority for it - as well as the swearing of course!

It seems that some people think its acceptable to pop up - say things like "What a load of b****cks" or "A backhander would sort this out" with all the finese and verbal skills of a 16 year old whose had one too many Stella's.

Now the same people are on this thread trying to scrabble up to the hill of the moral high ground.

Amazing.
Sorry! - I should have made it a little clearer who this is aimed at - certainly not the majority - just a couple.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Clive is right, there are only a couple who continually have negative attitudes. I use a MSN games room where I play a card game called Spades and from that I have over 150 friends in my list worldwide. The room holds 240 people and out of those theres normally about 2 at any one time whose sole aim is to cause trouble and attack people so this forum isn't unique. Like Paul I thought this site would be to have a laugh and help fellow caravanners but one of the first posts I read was a lady asking for help with her dogs. A person who posts on here called Kanga (if you haven't read his helpful posts you will) suggested to her to use a shotgun. Unfortunately Paul these people think its their God given right to attack or continually post negative feedback but dont like it up 'em when the going gets tough and others respond back to them. Basically they are the cyberworlds equivalent of schoolground bullies. The best remedy is not to respond to them and it starves them of the attention they so desire, it's like oxygen to them but unfortunately as I've said before I can't because they make me look intelligent :O) heheheh

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
its nice to be nice if you can't be nice don't be nasty

a very true saying.

i don't beleive in windbreaks either,but if thats what they want it's up to them

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Have to respond to the reference to my original posting about blinds/curtains.

If people read the postings correctly, they might not jump to the wrong conclusion. The content of my posting was an observation, NOT A CRITICISM, that blinds cut out all the light whereas curtains don,t and years ago, a site full of caravans even with curtains drawn, looked warm and cozy, as oppossed to sites these days when blinds are used. Monkey put the first seedy interpretation on this when she accused me of 'walking round looking into people's vans'. I can assure you that I do not even go round the site when it is dark, preferring to read my book, BUT I DO think caravans can look nice at night, when seen in numbers. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS. Please everybody, read the postings properly, before jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. Caravanning is about getting away from the rat race - in my case a very stressful job & living on an estate where no-one gives a damn about your right to privacy or peace and quiet. I caravan expressly to relax & not have to do what others might want or expect me to do. So I do put up a windbreak, nice shade of plain bottle green & I chat civilly when I want to. I am never knowingly rude to anyone but when I want to be quiet & solitary I want to be able to be just that. Its all about tolerance & respect for others really and whilst I pass the time of day with many, I also want to be left alone to read or just listen to the quietness.

I value my haven so much that I would hate to feel that I had to conform to others' expectations of my availability to them when caravanning - as I have to in my working/family existence.

We should all be friendly but also tolerant of each others needs.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have to respond to the reference to my original posting about blinds/curtains.

If people read the postings correctly, they might not jump to the wrong conclusion. The content of my posting was an observation, NOT A CRITICISM, that blinds cut out all the light whereas curtains don,t and years ago, a site full of caravans even with curtains drawn, looked warm and cozy, as oppossed to sites these days when blinds are used. Monkey put the first seedy interpretation on this when she accused me of 'walking round looking into people's vans'. I can assure you that I do not even go round the site when it is dark, preferring to read my book, BUT I DO think caravans can look nice at night, when seen in numbers. NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS. Please everybody, read the postings properly, before jumping to the wrong conclusion.
Hi chrissylizzie

Please don't take offence- your comment was fine- some of the replies were strange. Implying that you were antisocial when closing your sun blinds after dark with your van lights on etc- that's what i find hard to understand- that what others do matters so much to some?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Great description of what must attract us all to caravanning in some way or another.

With us its being able to get away for a w/e but not be too far as we have a disabled relative we look after. Thankfully with modern technology like mobile phones we can be away for a break but still be able to *** back if required.

I always feel a three day break in the 'van is like a weak away doing anything else. Recharges my "batteries"

Its got to be the pure freedom to do what we want to do when we want to do it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. Caravanning is about getting away from the rat race - in my case a very stressful job & living on an estate where no-one gives a damn about your right to privacy or peace and quiet. I caravan expressly to relax & not have to do what others might want or expect me to do. So I do put up a windbreak, nice shade of plain bottle green & I chat civilly when I want to. I am never knowingly rude to anyone but when I want to be quiet & solitary I want to be able to be just that. Its all about tolerance & respect for others really and whilst I pass the time of day with many, I also want to be left alone to read or just listen to the quietness.

I value my haven so much that I would hate to feel that I had to conform to others' expectations of my availability to them when caravanning - as I have to in my working/family existence.

Just to add to my previous post - my husband loves all the genteel 'good mornings' the chance to chit-chat to other site dwellers. In fact I joke with him that this is where his friends are !

I suppose that we compliment each other, he craves the social side whilst I value my alone time. That being said he also loves the quietness of the time in our van - no door bells ringing, no-one knocking at your door, no-one wanting a piece of you. We can eat when we like, what we like, go out or stay on site, shop or not shop, go to bed when we want, get up when we want, make love when we want to ( sorry if I offend anyone) without listening for our grown up kids in the next room and generally have time for us to be together - we both work long hours. We just got back from cornwall last night after 5 days and we are off again in 2 weeks for another 4 day break - can't wait.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just to add to my previous post - my husband loves all the genteel 'good mornings' the chance to chit-chat to other site dwellers. In fact I joke with him that this is where his friends are !

I suppose that we compliment each other, he craves the social side whilst I value my alone time. That being said he also loves the quietness of the time in our van - no door bells ringing, no-one knocking at your door, no-one wanting a piece of you. We can eat when we like, what we like, go out or stay on site, shop or not shop, go to bed when we want, get up when we want, make love when we want to ( sorry if I offend anyone) without listening for our grown up kids in the next room and generally have time for us to be together - we both work long hours. We just got back from cornwall last night after 5 days and we are off again in 2 weeks for another 4 day break - can't wait.
your'e lucky carol,wish i could make love when 'I 'want to!!!??? ,no offence either

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Again - my feelings described 100% On the subject "when and how" the first time we used our caravan for this purpose my wife first made me go outside and watch the 'van in case it rocked too much whilst she went through some of the movement on her own!!

She then didnt believe me when I said there was no movement so she went outside whilst I rocked the caravan from within.

What the other people on the site thought of it all I have no idea.

By the time we had done all the checking we were laughing so much we went on to have one of our best times ever!

That is probably "far too much information" for some but I hope nobody is offended by this.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Again - my feelings described 100% On the subject "when and how" the first time we used our caravan for this purpose my wife first made me go outside and watch the 'van in case it rocked too much whilst she went through some of the movement on her own!!

She then didnt believe me when I said there was no movement so she went outside whilst I rocked the caravan from within.

By the time we had done all the checking we were laughing so much we went on to have one of our best times ever!

That is probably "far too much information" for some but I hope nobody is offended by this.
There was movemnet Clive ?????? Are we doing it wrong or just too old?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Well it does take me all night to do what I used to do all night.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts