Unfriendly Caravanners - surely not!!!

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh dear!

I don't think people intend to appear reclusive. From a personal point of view I would probably stand back for fear of poking my nose where it was'nt wanted.

On more than one occasion we have offered to help people having difficulty siteing their 'van or putting up an awning, only to be told "OH NO! We are perrrfectly alllright thannnks!" and you can see they blantantly are not. You then stand back and let them get on with it.

Had you thought about trying your awning out at home before taking it out. We have done this a few times, even laying it out on the grass and fixing the frame together helps. It does save looking a bit of a pr*t when you try to put it up for the first time.

Good luck for your next outing.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Sorry, is the word "prat" an expletive now? I noticed that Wendy wrote 'pr*t' which I assume was not just the slip of the finger and suggested an underlying belief that she was in fact swearing ..... (perish the thought) :)

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Jason

As a matter of interest where did you go, was it a commercial site or a club site????

On the subject of why nobody offered help with the awning do you think they may have been a bit scared of not being able to figure it out either. They can be beasts at times, I struggled with a tall annexe recently and it took me ages to figure out that the reason I was having difficulty was that the poles dont actually fit verticaly, they slope at 45 degrees. (Harrison awning) what a stupid idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ah! That explains a lot.
Ah! another contribution - loaded with wit and stunning repartee! Surprised there is not a "Hear Hear!" included

Sorry to disapoint you - the one occaision I "mis-wrote" something did not include you in any way.

Rest assured all my comments aimed at you are to be taken as read.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I had a similar experience last year while in the new forest. A couple with kids arrived on site, kids and wife were unloaded and the husband (I presume) then proceeded to reverse his caravan onto his pitch as fast as he could. He got it wrong a few times and ended up semi abandoning it on the pitch. He didn't seem too pleased with his efforts, so I thought best to leave him alone. Latter as I walked back from the shop I noticed that both his caravan wheels were off the ground, don't know how he did it but his steadies were supporting the whole weight of the caravan, and there the poor man was struggling with a hook up lead that was too short for where he had parked. I went over and as politely as possible tried to put him right, even offering to give him a hand. "No" came the reply we can do it ourselves. So that was when I left and returned to my own van. The next morning the steadies were still supporting his caravan and he still didn't have 240 volts to his fridge. Now, I know a few things about pride, often cutting off my own nose to spite my face, so I can guess what was going through his mind when I offered help, so now I wait to be asked or make sure they look friendly before assisting anymore. Seems to be more peaceful that way.yeah, I know..go figure!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear - who widdled in your cornflakes this morning! (by the way whoever said that earlier - on another thread I think - what a brilliant saying!!)

The whole post above was pretty much "tongue in cheek" - I am not sure if I could have made it any clearer:-

"I know this sounds like a boring old fart going off on on one but believe me that is an accurate description."

Some people just love to get themselves wound up with all that righteous indignation.

But sorry cannot oblige on this occaision - Take a deep breath and count to ten Ray.

Sounds like you need a w/e away - Have you tried caravanning?

Lovely people - so tolerant and level headed.
Nice one Chris - I was close!!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, is the word "prat" an expletive now? I noticed that Wendy wrote 'pr*t' which I assume was not just the slip of the finger and suggested an underlying belief that she was in fact swearing ..... (perish the thought) :)
No, I don't beleive pr*t or prat to be an expletive. It sepends on which way a .....wants to take it!!!

Aug 22, 2005
Visit site
Wendy: I would have loved someone to have helped me! Erecting the awning at home first is a good idea. It didn't arrive in time for this holiday, however I will before the October one. Thanks.

GrahamW: As it was our first Hol in the van we went to a Haven site in Mablethorpe due to the facilities been good (according to the brocure anyway). I suppose other people could be a bit daunted by a sweaty man shuffling under the canvas a 9 o'clock at night muttering to himself!!

Lol: If you are in Newquay in October and you see a man, wife and two girls in a Blue Peugeot 407 pulling a Ace jubilee Viceroy, please help!!

Thanks All

J

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Wendy: I would have loved someone to have helped me! Erecting the awning at home first is a good idea. It didn't arrive in time for this holiday, however I will before the October one. Thanks.

GrahamW: As it was our first Hol in the van we went to a Haven site in Mablethorpe due to the facilities been good (according to the brocure anyway). I suppose other people could be a bit daunted by a sweaty man shuffling under the canvas a 9 o'clock at night muttering to himself!!

Lol: If you are in Newquay in October and you see a man, wife and two girls in a Blue Peugeot 407 pulling a Ace jubilee Viceroy, please help!!

Thanks All

J
Jason, I will look out for you in future.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Thanks All

J
Jason, if in the unlikely event that I am in or around Newquay in October, I will look for any strangers that come up to me and exclaim, "You are the man, wife and two girls in a Blue Peugeot 407 pulling an Ace Jubilee Viceroy" (nice van). In this instance I will offer as much help as I can, but please understand, I come from a strange part of the country that has a "first meeting ritual" which involves the exchange and consumption of alcohol before any help can commence. I don't make the rules you understand, but feel honour bound to uphold them.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Thanks All

J
P S, do they still have those fun carts at Mablethorpe? Couldn't get myself and the son off them all holiday! Just a couple of kids really.....

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Hello
Just joined but I think I'm going to like it here.

I find windbreaks stop the breeze flowing so I tend to favour razor wire, erected in between the machine gun nests.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
carlt said:
Hello
Just joined but I think I'm going to like it here.

I find windbreaks stop the breeze flowing so I tend to favour razor wire, erected in between the machine gun nests.
Tee hee! I think you'll fit in just fine ;o). Welcome, Carl.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Carl
Welcome, where did you dredge this old topic from? The post immediately prior to yours is dated SEPT 6 2005!
Back to the future or what?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts