Urgent help. American 5 leg van. Toilet tank blocked

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
My son lives in an American van. I think it's called a 5 leg?
The toilet inside is a Thetford, plumbed into a tank fastened under the van. There is a blockage here. When he tries to empty
the tank into the mains sewage, liquid comes out but no solids. Please can anyone offer any advice how to clear
the blockage or is it a professional job? Thanks

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its a 5th Wheel van.
Ifhe has used toilet chemical (as he should do) in the waste tank, then all that should come out is a liquid.That is what the chemical does!

If he has not used any chemical, then he may well have a solid build up which will need clearing, not a nice job, and probably an expensive job by someone who knows what they are doing to avoid contamination spread.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Waste tank chemical usually works quite quickly, dependednt on temperature.
In cold weather it takes a little longer than when the temperature is warm.
The right amount is also important in the scheme of things, too little and it takes longer, too muchand it is a waste of fluid.

It also depends how long between emptying the tank, the longer the time scale the better chance of reducing solids to liquid state.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Damian, may I ask a question, in over fourty years of caravaning I have yet to find a toilet chemical that will break down solid matter into a liquid, I believe I have used all the known brands to man, results are always the same, even using the double strength concentrates, may I ask what brand you use?

kind regards, Allan.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have found that Thetford Aquachem does a pretty good job.
Elsan also does a good job.
Perhaps it is the amount you are using if it does not break down solids.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the info Damian, I have used both those named products and with the same results, I tend to be a little OTT when it comes to the "dose" and always tend to use more than is suggested on the label, I have always been of the opinion that they are more designed to mask the odour than to break the solids down.
Allan.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts