URGENT Sat Nav Warning

May 15, 2006
Visit site
Just to let everyone know of the perils of satelite navigation, I have just come back home from a lovely weekend in wales but not all of my van made it back.

I followed the route given to me by my tom tom, as I always do, but to my horror the route supplied led me down a country lane which suddenly got very narrow in fact I only managed to get my car through intact.

My van now has some extra ventilation to the rear corner where a stone wall has left quite a large hole, and ripped my rear lights clean off.

So everyone beware not all that glimmers is not the best route.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to hear of your damage.

Unsuitable routing from sat-nav is a well known problem.

Any sat-nav route should be checked with a detailed map, which rather defeats the point of using sat-nav!

I know of an A-B route that most sat-navs that will take you down a private road with a bridge that's only 6' wide. The caravan won't be damaged as the bridge has no parapets! - I'm not sure how you'd get it back onto it's wheels though!

May 15, 2006
Visit site
I know I should have checked the route but as you say it does defeat the object, I didnt know of any problems using sat nav so thought I would put a warning out.

Luckily the damage is covered by my insurance.

Pitty though as ive only been vanning for a few months.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lee

Sorry to hear about what happened. Glad to hear you can claim on your insurance.

I think Roger is correct in saying check with a detailed map before hand.

I bought the TTG 500 a few weeks ago. I use it all the time whilst solo (I'm renowned for geting lost, even locally) and it's taken me door to door, no probs. However, when towing I will always print off directions from one of the web sites I've used previously and ensure my navigator has an upto date map.

Glad you are ok.

Lisa.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I dont use my sat nav whilst towing although I do a lot of mileage once on site and wouldn't be without it then. My sat nav forever sends me down narrow roads for short cuts but due to the lack of speed you can do its quicker to stick to the main roads.

May 27, 2006
Visit site
Sat nav is an ideal location fixer or map location finder but ive given up planning routes by it purely for the reasons experienced above.

A good session with Autoroute or similar before leaving home is a far safer way to travel and can print out good safe routes to be compared with sat nav as you progress along your journey.

A load stone hanging from a length of string is also helpfull when push comes to shove

Aug 21, 2005
Visit site
We have just taken a trip from Fife (glenrothes) to The Invercauld CC site at Breamar. When I booked the site on the phone I asked if there was any roads worth watching for bridges/narrow roads etc. There was none. I set my TomTom to the Invercauld (its actually a built in POI in TT) and off I went. I actually decided to take the A92 to the M90 (J3) rather than the route NW that TT wanted to take me to J11 of the M90. I did this as I know that the roads are narrower on this route and although passable by caravans and HGV's etc was much easier to drive an extra few miles for the safety of a dual carriageway. All Im trying to say is, just cos TT tells you to turn left, you dont have to, you wont get into trouble with it if you decide not to. Ask the campsite, or read the sites website etc for approach routes from nearest main road and use TT just to get you to that point, use the sites own directions thereafter.

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lee

Did u set your TomTom to limited speed?
Hi Triphazard,

Does the limited speed option provide a better route for a caravaner? and what is the best speed to set so that you are taken down any nasty lanes etc.

Regards Nidge

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Triphazard,

Does the limited speed option provide a better route for a caravaner? and what is the best speed to set so that you are taken down any nasty lanes etc.

Regards Nidge
Sorry TripHazard, Should have read "not taken down any nasty lanes"

Nidge

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts