Does anybody have any idea if there are any laws governing the towing of caravans ie. how level the van needs to be and minimum clearance from chassis to ground (the nose of my van seems a bit low to me). If anyone has any information please let me know. I am in dispute with a car firm who fitted a towbar to my new vehicle and they insist the towball is the correct height.

HELP!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
When the car is fully laden, the centre of the towball should be between 350 and 420mm above the ground. When the caravan is level and fully laden, the centre of the coupling should be between 395 and 465mm above the ground.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Garry and Nikki

The towball has no relevance until a trailer is hitched. I quote from my learned friend Lutz in another post about tow hitches.

"Just make sure that the towball is at the correct height of 350 to 420mm when hitched up to the car and the car is fully laden."

Great

I need ammunition, we should be protected from the rubbish some of these companies are dishing out. Also, what a stroke of luck (EU directive 94/20/EU) thanks Lutz, read it from an earlier posting. Also read from an earlier posting my twin axle should be level so all 4 wheels take and spread the load.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Of course, level is ideal but don't forget that the dimensions quoted only apply when car and caravan are in the fully laden condition and they do have a tolerance of

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts