USB sockets & LED interior lights

May 31, 2017
Visit site
Looking to put some USB sockets in the Tin Tent,

I've done a little bit of research, however, lets ask you experienced lot!

Do i put some USB sockets in, or do i put some cigar sockets in and then have a USB adapter?

Looking for putting them into the 12v system

I'd also like to replace the fluro lights and the 12v filament lights with LED's to save a bit of power, any one done similar?

any advise or products you have used and would reccommend would be awesome.

Thanks in Advance

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
I fitted one of these to our previous van https://tinyurl.com/ycxz23j9 and swapped out the cigarette lighter socket fro one of these https://tinyurl.com/y9mwytcm to give us 4 usb, points worked a treat.

We have just brought all LED bulbs to swap all ours over, can comment on them yet as not done it, but its easy to goggle LED and the bulb type.to ones that will do the job.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
99claydond said:
...Do i put some USB sockets in, or do i put some cigar sockets in and then have a USB adapter?...
Thanks in Advance

Hello Claydon
Iv'e highlighted this part of your question because I most definitely would not recommend fitting cigar lighter sockets. The dedicated USB fittings highlighted by Mogwyth would be much better. You can also get Mains sockets with USB chargers built in to them.

If you caravan off grid a lot and that makes you sensitive to battery life then changing to LED lighting will make a considerable impact, but if you are usually on a hook up then the cost of changing will take a long time to recover. However it may make you feel good about saving power.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I cant see no reason not to fit 12v cigar sockets as you might want to use the 12v to charge something that isnt a usb?
One thing to look for is the power output of the usb socket, If you are using is for Apple products then 2.1 Amp is a must as this will charge both an Ipod and Ipad.

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
I fitted extra cigar/aux sockets as they can be used whether on grid or not. Even my TV is always run from 12v socket even when on grid. Tidier wiring setup and fewer bits to carry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
MichaelE said:
I cant see no reason not to fit 12v cigar sockets as you might want to use the 12v to charge something that isnt a usb?
One thing to look for is the power output of the usb socket, If you are using is for Apple products then 2.1 Amp is a must as this will charge both an Ipod and Ipad.

Hello Michael,

The cigar sockets fitted by car manufacturers are generally of a reasonable quality, but the same cannot be said of many of those available in accessory shops or on line. Not only can the sockets be of variable quality the plugs accessory manufacturers use are also often rather suspect.

The spring loaded centre pin is often so strong it will push the plug part way out of the socket. Iv'e lost count of the number of times Iv'e had to fully reinsert the plug of one of my accessories, and that's from what I would call a reputable manufacture. So many of especially the cheaper versions of these sockets and plugs are of a inferior design.

I have experienced one such accessory plug overheat and its plastic started to distort, and no it wasn't pulling more current than it should. it was just a poor contact.

Consequently I actively discourage using them when there are better alternatives, such as in the OP's case of where he is looking for USB charging.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Agreed that the quality of some 12v cigar plugs and sockets are very poor, but there are also some poor usb one's where the fitting is loose so a poor connection.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
In the screwfix catalogue and on the website they have a single socket with 2 x USB for £7.64 (part 8812F) or a double with 2 x USB for 12.99 (4087P). Others are available from the same source - just check the output needed for your device - the ones quoted the single has 2.1A the double 3.1A. This would seem to be a simpler job to install charging facilities for your USB devices by swapping these for the similar in the 'van. I have also seen a plug in that has one mains and two usb available, then there's no wiring at all!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Rob

Yesy the combined twin 13a and two USB sockets are really quite heandy, but the OP was looking for a 12V to USB solution.

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
[
The spring loaded centre pin is often so strong it will push the plug part way out of the socket. Iv'e lost count of the number of times Iv'e had to fully reinsert the plug of one of my accessories, and that's from what I would call a reputable manufacture. .

Got one in the Discovery that does that!

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Some vans have a blanked off socket - mine included, so I filled this with a CBE fitting containing twin USB ports. Usefully, this has a rubber cover to stop debris falling in when not in use.

I also have one of these to charge the re-chargeable batteries in various remotes. Its small and versatile; can be operated from 12v or 230v; has a single USB port; can do AA, AAA, 9v and even has adjustable pins for anything of an odd size; has a neat screen to display the state of charging:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/lithium-ion-nimh-and-nicd-aaaaa-and-9v-universal-battery-charger-with-usb-n14kr

May 31, 2017
Visit site
thanks for all your replies,

looks like im going to go with installing some 12v USB sockets as suggested.
will add them in as extras to the original fitments i think so i have best of both worlds
Thanks for the help

Dan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There are quite neat panel mount USB sockets for 12v available from the likes of Vehicle Wiring Products. I tend to prefer these as the combined mains/USB sockets may be affected to the power surges and fluctuations on Continental sites particularly in periods of bad weather whereas the 12v supply is buffered by the charger and caravan battery.
Also comply with the old electrical adage ' less joints the better'

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts