Used tow car suggestions 4X4 GVM below 2000kg.

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
We currently tow MTPLM 1500kg van with Sorento Mk1. Our GVWR is 4170kg. I am licenced for this but we are looking for suggestions for a second vehicle with GVM no more than 2000kg, so we can keep under the 3.5 t penalty toll in many EU countries. At least 80% use will be touring, not towing.
We want any type 4x4 for slippery surfaces, up to 10 yo, diesel for torque.
So far only found Skoda Octavia III 4x4 150Hp GVM 1943kg but sometimes up to 2020kg so I need to check the plate when I find one.
These are all over 2000kg - Subaru Outback, Forester, Ford Kuga, Skoda Superb, Passat
(BTW we can use the Sorento + van on a single vignetta in CZ, AU, HU. It is in other countries that we need a second vignetta or toll over 3.5T.)

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
To get a vehicle under 2000 kg GVM, you're probably looking at under 1500 kg kerbweight which would put you over the 100% guideline - that's your call but changing the caravan for a lighter one would increase your choices.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
To get a vehicle under 2000 kg GVM, you're probably looking at under 1500 kg kerbweight which would put you over the 100% guideline - that's your call but changing the caravan for a lighter one would increase your choices.
Couple of factors here. Our van was MTPLM 1200kg standard, but came with a 1500 upgrade. From what I can see the only difference is the tyres. With a mass in running order of 1040 we travel around 1300-1350, checked on weighbridge, unhitched. The tow car will be loaded to about 1900. We can manage this with due care. (I looked into rating the van down, complicated in EU and not money well spent)

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
What countries are you thinking of where you pay more toll for outfits greater than 3500kg? Off hand I can't think of any. The only 3500kg limit that I am aware of applies to the towing vehicle only, not the complete outfit.

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
What countries are you thinking of where you pay more toll for outfits greater than 3500kg? Off hand I can't think of any. The only 3500kg limit that I am aware of applies to the towing vehicle only, not the complete outfit.
You are correct for AU, HU, CZ and I think for Slovenia where the extra toll is for 3rd axle and height of van.
Slovakia (where I currently live)
Propelling vehicle has to have a vignette.
Caravan has to have a vignette as well, if the whole vehicle is over 3.5 tons. Both are applied to propeller vehicle.
Croatia, where it is hard to avoid tollways if you are transiting.
Personal vehicle with a caravan is Category 2.
Haven't checked Spain

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Slovakia (where I currently live)
Propelling vehicle has to have a vignette.
Caravan has to have a vignette as well, if the whole vehicle is over 3.5 tons. Both are applied to propeller vehicle.
Croatia, where it is hard to avoid tollways if you are transiting.
Personal vehicle with a caravan is Category 2.
Haven't checked Spain
Thanks for the clarification regarding Slovakia, but I can't find equivalent restrictions applicable to Croatia. As far as I can see, the GVW of the towing vehicle (under/over 3500kg), vehicle height under/over 1.9m and the number of axles are taken into account in Croatia.
Spain has dropped tolls on the vast majority of motorways and where they are still in place, weight is not a criterion, only the number of axles.

Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the clarification regarding Slovakia, but I can't find equivalent restrictions applicable to Croatia. As far as I can see, the GVW of the towing vehicle (under/over 3500kg), vehicle height under/over 1.9m and the number of axles are taken into account in Croatia.
Spain has dropped tolls on the vast majority of motorways and where they are still in place, weight is not a criterion, only the number of axles.
Thank you for prompting me to look closer into tolls. I mistakenly thought I was paying higher toll in Balkan countries for GVWR over 3.5T, but it's been for 3rd axle and height, and maybe longer than 12m for Karawanks Tunnel.
I can stop looking for a lighter tow car. Might still pick up an Octavia III 4x4 for other reasons if I find one with plated GVM under 2000..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is a particularly unusual request, which is made much harder by the limitations you are placing on the type of tow car you will consider. As the vast majority of caravan towers both here in teh UK and on the continent will attest there are very few occasions when you actually need a 4x4 and more often than not a 2wd will be perfectly satisfactory. Unless you know for certain that you need (not want) a 4x4
you possible options will broaden considerably.

But also I suggest you consider does it make financial sense to avoid a cost increase in a tax or charge by having purchase and running costs of a second vehicle?

Only you can rationalise if it makes sense under your own circumstances.

Reactions: Dustydog
Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Why a 4x4 ? I have been towing for well over 40 years using 2WD, almost exclusively on CLs and have yet to be stuck. I'd love to know what my fuel savings over a 4x4 have been .
It's all in technique, and looking around before you pitch on a site you haven't visited before .

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Why a 4x4 ? I have been towing for well over 40 years using 2WD, almost exclusively on CLs and have yet to be stuck. I'd love to know what my fuel savings over a 4x4 have been .
It's all in technique, and looking around before you pitch on a site you haven't visited before .
I would think that where SterlingWine, Caravans the weather and conditions might require a 4X4, in Slovakia. For us in the Uk, The tyre types are more important. Wet Grass can stop any 4x4 with the wrong tyres.

Reactions: Challenger
Mar 4, 2019
Visit site
I would think that where SterlingWine, Caravans the weather and conditions might require a 4X4, in Slovakia. For us in the Uk, The tyre types are more important. Wet Grass can stop any 4x4 with the wrong tyres.
True, we have some that only allow 4x4 because of steep unsealed access . I also need 4x4 for chata high in mountains in winter. Agreed about tires. 4x4 with summer or all season tires slips hopelessly on ice under snow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts