Useless, pointless or just daft.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We all like to talk about the good ideas that people have for caravans, and to be fair there have been some belters. On the flip side of the coin there must have been a number of useless, pointless or just daft ideas. What ranks as the worst. For me it was the Purpleline hitch drive, technically a motor mover powered by elbow grease. But what else was there?

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
It maybe just me, but why have the caravan designers done away with a "draining board" next to the sink...?

Most older caravans seem to have them, whilst they seem pretty scarce on newer models.
Regards to all, and of course
Happy Caravanning
paws

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The lack of draining board comes from the femail mind, it means not only do we have to do all the posh cooking on the cadac, we have to carry the plates across the campsite to wash them...............oh how I envy those with a dog. :p

We have three gas rings, one electric, but does she ever use the electric one, you know, the one we have already paid for, nope. She prefers gas. :angry:

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
One of the most useless products that comes to my mind would be the old round roof mounted frisbee type tv aerial, Over the years I bought three used caravans on which they were fitted and not one of them ever worked.
The Status 530 on the other hand is an excellent roof mounted aerial.

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
our new coachman came with a 'designer' draining board from the joseph joseph company.....didn't match anything in the kitchen, didn't really fit anywhere and was a pain to dry off.....replaced almost immediately with one of the silicon foldy ones from the same company..........

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Our van has a draining board, which I use, 4 gas rings, cos I won't use leccy, and had one of those round ariels which we didn't use as we have no telly, and now CAN'T use cos Sir Fixalot drove under a tree and knocked it off! Maybe we needed a Purpleline thingy!!! :lol:
We also removed the shower as that was a waste of time/space, too!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Our shower door has a strip of plastic running across the bottom of it. It is not fixed, but sits loosly in the door edging. Has no apparent function and flips off into the shower when you shut the door. Useless pointless and daft.

Mel

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Mel said:
Our shower door has a strip of plastic running across the bottom of it. It is not fixed, but sits loosly in the door edging. Has no apparent function and flips off into the shower when you shut the door. Useless pointless and daft.

Mel

It is there for a purpose Mel, it stops water running down the door and out of the shower cubicle whilst in use as it hangs inside and lower than the gap. Hence it gets knocked off when the door is opened. ;)

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Probably the Alko spare wheel carrier. Unfortunately that is still with us.

Fair one that. Its a real right of passage wrestling with that thing on the hard shoulder of a motorway, in the dark in torrential rain. I have that T shirt, it shrunk.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
In my early days I had one of those sit on towball (dare I say It) nose weight gauges :evil:

It was the plastic type used it once and squashed and twisted it :evil:

Rubbish!!!!!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
WoodlandsCamper said:
Mel said:

Mel

It is there for a purpose Mel, it stops water running down the door and out of the shower cubicle whilst in use as it hangs inside and lower than the gap. Hence it gets knocked off when the door is opened. ;)

Thank you sir WC. I will pay careful attention next time I shower, although it will take some spectacular water diversion to convince me that it is not simply doing b#gg#r all. Although it is possible that when we have replaced it countless times, we have been putting it back pointing in the wrong direction.

Mel

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
The omnivent cover that always sticks when you try to open it - so you need one of those drinks sticks to poke through the mesh to get it started

Oh and the dreadful Heath-Robinson set up for the bit of awning skirt that covers the upper part of the wheel

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
JamesH said:
Hi Thingy. Watch this video to see a PDQ awning being erected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SW_-5aQtSw

What a great idea - edit the action but keep the clock running!

It's a pity he still didn't do it in 2 minutes but, with another edit, I reckon he could get it down to a minute and a half!

I bet there's about 45 minutes on the cutting room floor!

TRENDING THREADS