Using a ferry for the first time.

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi all.
We are using Stena ferries as part of our holiday road trip Cairnryan to Belfast.
We have never used a ferry before with our van so any pointers and advice would be very much welcomed please.
The only thing I have thought of so far to have he jockey wheel as high as possible.

Many thanks in advance.
Neil

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Neil, the modern large ferries are really very simple and there's nothing to worry about. When you check in at the port you'll be directed into a line(s) with other outfits, so unless you're at the front it's just a matter of follow my leader onto the boat itself at loading time. There will be plenty of ferry operator staff around directing you where to go in any case. There is a bit of a ramp as you drive onto the ferry itself, so you might want to take that at a very slow speed as well as making sure your jockey wheel is all the way up as you say. Once you're parked up on the ferry make sure the handbrakes on the car and van are on, and make sure the lpg is turned off on the van. Also, remember where you're parked, as some of the these boats are like blocks of flats and its easy to get lost ! FInally, follow everyone else up the stairs onto the passenger decks for a cup of tea or whatever. And that's really it.

The only issue I can think of is if you had an outfit that towed nose down, as you'd be likely to strike the ferry ramp with the jockey wheel. But for a well balanced outfit - you really won't have an issues.

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
If you have big feet on the standard staeadys its best to remove the rear ones before bording the ferry if the ramps are steep they can be ripped off while boarding or departing.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Stephen1956 said:
If you have big feet on the standard staeadys its best to remove the rear ones before bording the ferry if the ramps are steep they can be ripped off while boarding or departing.

I travel on the ferries 4 times a year outwards & return. I have done this for 15 years and I have never lost a steady pad yet.

Steve W

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
steve w77 said:
I travel on the ferries 4 times a year outwards & return. I have done this for 15 years and I have never lost a steady pad yet.
Steve W
hi, neither have we. while it is true we have not used the big Ferries for overseas trips, we have use other ferries notably "CALMAC" for island hopping in the highlands and the jaunt from gourock to dunnoon. using the ferry is really easy after booking you are shown to the left hand "speed lane" first on first off. the ramps can be quite steep but have never suffered a problem, procedures on ferry have been mentioned before.
the only suggestion I would make is if you are really worried about the jockey wheel boarding or departing the ferry you can remove it while waiting and pop it in the front box. replacing it after you have left the ferry.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
colin-yorkshire said:
steve w77 said:
Steve W
hi, neither have we. while it is true we have not used the big Ferries for overseas trips, we have use other ferries notably "CALMAC" for island hopping in the highlands and the jaunt from gourock to dunnoon. using the ferry is really easy after booking you are shown to the left hand "speed lane" first on first off. the ramps can be quite steep but have never suffered a problem, procedures on ferry have been mentioned before.
the only suggestion I would make is if you are really worried about the jockey wheel boarding or departing the ferry you can remove it while waiting and pop it in the front box. replacing it after you have left the ferry.

Not really practicle if you have a newer van, one with the jockey wheel mounted in side the A frame, as opposed to being bolted on the outside.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Greetings,
Could I also suggest that, unless you are first in the queue, you don't be in so much of a rush to go up the ramp.
Sometimes in such circumstances there can be a holdup at the top and it results in everyone having to do a 'Hill Start.
The ramps are not asphelted but are made of ribbed steels and as a result you can end up losing grip, especially on front wheel drive vehicles.
Just hang back a bit and ensure that you can go up the ramp in one.
Have an enjoyable trip.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
All good advice, If you are not the first in line, hang back a bit and watch how those in front go over the ramp edge. If it looks a bit steep, go across it at an angle rather than straight on. This minimises the risk of grounding. In extreme cases I have used all the available width of the ramp after seeing someone get stuck. The crew member in charge of unloading may even direct you to do this, or at least give a nod of approval when you do. Don't feel under pressure to get on and off too quickly - you'll usually have to queue for security or customs checks shortly afterwards anyway (on continental ferries certainly).
Once actually on the ferry apply handbrake and - if manual - first gear. Turn of the motion sensitive part of alarm if fitted. I always apply the caravan handbrake and lower the jockey wheel to take a little of the load off the towball. The logic for this is that should the crossing be rough, the van wibounce up and down a bit and transfer this to the car shock absorbers. On one crossing some years ago someone suffered damage to the shock absorbers by this means - they got hot with the constant motion and did not have the usual air cooling as when driving.
Finally, if you can, fold the car mirrors particularly if fitted with extension mirrors. Left extended these are very vunerable to damage from passengers with rucksacks etc. pushing past - vehicles are parked pretty close together.

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi
As has already been said it is quite easy to get on and off the ferry. We first took the van on the ferry to France 3 years ago and I was quite nervous to begin with but it was no problem I have quite a large caravan and never had any problems with grounding etc. Just take it easy going up or down the ramp and there should be no bother.
Enjoy your holiday

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hiya all.
As always many thanks for the wonderful advice we have started our road trip and at troutbeck head Penrith which is superb. Then on to maybole near Ayr then onto dundonald Belfast.
Glad we discovered this way of holidaying we all love it.
Take care
Neil

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
As regards the plates on the corners steadies ,if they are fitted the correct way around they are weighted to hang down at the back and will not therefore get ripped off. So either turn them around or stick a lump a blue tac on the rear to make them hang correctly

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts