Using a Hitch Lock while at Service station

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
We will be travelling home today and thinking about going into a Service Station as a family for a bite to eat.

How safe is leaving the caravan hitched to your car with a Hitch lock fitted?

Also just to confirm, you can travel with the hitch lock attached when driving up the road?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
This subject has previously done to death on the forum.
Yes you can travel with the hitch lock on, I do exactly tgat.

However you will now get many who come up with all sorts of reasons not too.
You have (re)opened a right can of worms!

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There is no Staff answer to this one. If you really want to all eat together you have no alternative but to fit a lock, or locks. Our Alko hitch lock could be fitted for travelling but my personal choice was not to fit it but for it to be readily available if required.

We never left the caravan in services here or abroad. But it really is your own decision.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Takes two seconds to remove most hitchlocks. One of buys the food etc and the other stays with the caravan. We then have the grub in the caravan together.

We would never ever travel with the hitch lock fitted as highly unlikely someone is going to try and nick the caravan while we are travelling at 50-60mph so no point in fitting it!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I suppose if you really must go together as a family for a meal in the services, why not think of fitting a wheel lock as well as the hitch lock.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Takes two seconds to remove most hitchlocks. One of buys the food etc and the other stays with the caravan. We then have the grub in the caravan together.

We would never ever travel with the hitch lock fitted as highly unlikely someone is going to try and nick the caravan while we are travelling at 50-60mph so no point in fitting it!
They might steal the caravan whilst traversing Milton Keynes multifarious islands.

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman and Hutch
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site

Indeed so, but a caravan without a hitchlock takes even less time.

Anything that makes mine just that little bit harder to nick compared to one alongside is worthwhile.

I suspect the number of caravans stolen from a service area, as a percentage that are left for a short while is very small, bordering on infinitesimal (but not of course zero) All about perceived risk.

Reactions: GaryB and ProfJohnL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Indeed so, but a caravan without a hitchlock takes even less time.

Anything that makes mine just that little bit harder to nick compared to one alongside is worthwhile.

I suspect the number of caravans stolen from a service area, as a percentage that are left for a short while is very small, bordering on infinitesimal (but not of course zero) All about perceived risk.
Which is why we have a Tracker on our caravan. It won't prevent the theft, but we would be alerted immediately. When tracker is activated, hitchlock and two ALKO wheel locks are also fitted.

We are at New Forest CAMC and they have signs up warning people about bicycle theft from awnings? This was never a problem previously. Worst of all as there is no mobile signal, you cannot even phone the police even if you catch someone! Catch 22?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If they really want it they will have it and it only takes a few minuets even with multiple security devices.

I seem to remember one report many years ago where a family had done just as you have suggested, and whilst they were having their meal the thieves ( about five of them pulled up with crew cab recovery type lorry with a hydraulic arm crane, they ground or cut off the hitch then hoisted the entire caravan onto the truck in all of about 8 mins, they just moved to another part of parking facility so they could secure the caravan to truck, then they were away.

They had clearly prepared a plan as they had modified the crane to accommodate lifting a caravan.

It is very rare, but it is a risk. Check your caravan insurance for what they specify as necessary security measures and use them, becasue if you don't, they have reason to decline a claim.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I would use my hitch lock if leaving the van, though this was very rare. I did not leave it on simply because I have read police and fire brigade reports advising against it due to time wasting in case of needing to separate in case of an emergency. Though this is hopefully an extremely rare occurrence.

John

Reactions: Buckman

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We don’t leave the caravan unattended at services. Take it in turns to go to the loo and bring back takeout food if we haven’t done a pack up. The chances of theft are probably tiny but I would just end up gobbling my lunch in order to get back to the van quickly anyway. Anxiety and Reality are rarely the same thing 😉
Mel

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I only stop at services if I can find nowhere else suitable (and recent experiences at on our last 2 trips off the A1, M1, M6 or A50 have underlined why!) There are exceptions of course like at Gloucester both N and S where caravans were considered at the planning stage and not simply assumed that among the coaches or HGVs would suffice! In various parts of the country I have stopped at larger garden centres with suitable parking - or even a supermarket where food is available. I scope the possibilities on Google Maps to check suitability then to Street view to make sure there are no overhead barriers. Wherever parked it is worth checking the requirements of you insurance., but I would never drive with a hitch lock in place in case of any emergency situation.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm always mystified by the emphasis on security measures for caravans in the UK. Presumably thefts are a problem there but I ask myself what makes the theft of caravans an attractive proposition? Surely one can't sell them because they wouldn't be accompanied by any documentation regarding their history or ownership and I cannot imagine that anyone in their right mind would buy without such proof, so they could only be broken down and sold for spares, but is the market for spares really that lucrative?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I'm always mystified by the emphasis on security measures for caravans in the UK. Presumably thefts are a problem there but I ask myself what makes the theft of caravans an attractive proposition? Surely one can't sell them because they wouldn't be accompanied by any documentation regarding their history or ownership and I cannot imagine that anyone in their right mind would buy without such proof, so they could only be broken down and sold for spares, but is the market for spares really that lucrative?
A certain band of people love to live in them for a short time, trash them and move onto the next stolen one.
Some are stolen and shipped to far away places like NZ. Or Eastern Europe.

Motorway services are a meeting point for thieves of all sorts. I would not leave mine unattended

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A certain band of people love to live in them for a short time, trash them and move onto the next stolen one.
Some are stolen and shipped to far away places like NZ. Or Eastern Europe.

For customs clearance and registration purposes in those countries where caravans have to be registered they would have to be accompanied by documentation if shipped overseas and that would have to be forged. It surprises me that it's worth the effort. Being offered a UK caravan with the door on the "wrong" side in Eastern Europe is bound to arouse suspicion.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For customs clearance and registration purposes in those countries where caravans have to be registered they would have to be accompanied by documentation if shipped overseas and that would have to be forged. It surprises me that it's worth the effort. Being offered a UK caravan with the door on the "wrong" side in Eastern Europe is bound to arouse suspicion.
A backhander probably solves that problem and if not why should a policeman in some far away country where they may not like Brits care anyway? After having two locked cars stolen in my lifetime I am very security conscious.

Reactions: Dustydog
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
A backhander probably solves that problem and if not why should a policeman in some far away country where they may not like Brits care anyway? After having two locked cars stolen in my lifetime I am very security conscious.

The police would hardly be involved. It's customs and vehicle licensing offices that would be more likely to ask questions.
There's a much bigger market for stolen cars and they are a lot easier to get rid of than a caravan. Besides, there's a lot more opportunity for bigger profits, especially in the case of expensive cars that are worth many times what a caravan costs.
In over 30 years of caravanning I've never had a lock on my caravan and the gate of the storage facility where it stands are often left open all day. Over the years, it's also been parked unattended at numerous motorway service areas on the Continent.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The police would hardly be involved. It's customs and vehicle licensing offices that would be more likely to ask questions.
There's a much bigger market for stolen cars and they are a lot easier to get rid of than a caravan. Besides, there's a lot more opportunity for bigger profits, especially with expensive cars.
In over 30 years of caravanning I've never had a lock on my caravan and the gate of the storage facility where it stands are often left open all day. Over the years, it's also been parked unattended at numerous motorway service areas on the Continent.
Most of us have fairly decent caravans! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
personally I wish we did have trailer registration in the UK. The caravanning fraternity would benefit in many ways.

There are many who would be prepared to buy and not ask questions if they got a bargain. Say a newish £32,000 for £18000

John

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
personally I wish we did have trailer registration in the UK. The caravanning fraternity would benefit in many ways.

There are many who would be prepared to buy and not ask questions if they got a bargain. Say a newish £32,000 for £18000

John

I agree. What's the point of buying one for £18000 if you can't get it registered without a Certificate of Conformity that only the manufacturer can issue on the basis of the VIN?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 4, 2007
Visit site
One of us always stays with the caravan at motorway services but we often do a "drive though" when we miss the signs or the caravan parking is full and it's too late to go with the HGVs.

Mar 17, 2022
Visit site

I'd pay good money to see someone trying!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts