Using a Hitch Lock while at Service station

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
We here on the Continent are always amused by the way the Brits religiously fit locks whenever they stop off somewhere. I know it’s often an insurance requirement, but even so, we think it’s quite funny.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Here in the UK on average a caravan is stolen every day and not recovered. Motorway services are a favourite spot for the thieves.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I'd pay good money to see someone trying!
Crowbar and it is off in a second.
We here on the Continent are always amused by the way the Brits religiously fit locks whenever they stop off somewhere. I know it’s often an insurance requirement, but even so, we think it’s quite funny.
Not sure why people on the continent think it is funny to watch people taking precautions to protect their property? :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Like someone else we always put a hitchlock and a wheelclamp on our caravan when we went for a meal at a motorway service station

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Here's an interesting statistic for you

100% of the times I've stopped at a motorway service station, an attempt was made to steal my caravan.

Sobering thought !

• Wow
Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I've never had any reason to think about security. All the caravans on the storage site where I keep mine are without hitchlocks and 9 times out of 10 when I go there the gate is open.
You are so very lucky then, unfortunately over here in the UK, you have to take as many anti theft precautions as you can.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s not that different to my last two Subarus, in Japan or US their security is minimal. But those shipped to Britain have an after market security system fitted by the import concession company. It’s complex and includes a PIN pad and multi sensors around the car. So does this “paranoia” wrt security say something about our country?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Here's an interesting statistic for you

100% of the times I've stopped at a motorway service station, an attempt was made to steal my caravan.

Sobering thought !
How many times is that, and how did you know attempt(s) had been. According to some posts on this Forum it only takes seconds to steal a caravan. 😱

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just 3 fortunately, as i've never stopped at a motorway service station since !

Twice caught in the act, third time they hadn't noticed i was sat in the car before they were about to set to work.
I’m. Not sure if I should, or should not, ask you to choose my lottery numbers. That third one is just taking the proverbial.

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
I've never had, nor seen any problems at motorway services with the more light fingered populace, just with the parking layout and other users. But I've only once left the car & van unattended, and the hitch lock and wheel lock were applied, as there is nothing stopping a wrong-un from unhitching a caravan and taking it.

As Mel said, take it turns for use of the facilities if you're travelling with someone, and eat/drink in the car. During the social distancing times, I would drop the nose wheel and rear steadies and use the caravan toilet.

However, as I have a non-ALKO hitch lock I had to disengage the stabiliser to fit it. So, unsuitable for towing whilst locked.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I knew the towels were no joke!

This from todays Daily Express on line

Motorists have been told to place a common household towel over their steering wheels this weekend with the key component set to be “unbearable to touch” due to the weather.

Temperatures are set to rise this weekend and into early next week which could cause havoc for road users with leather steering wheels.
Save my battery as no need to switch on the heated steering wheel switch. Coming from a country where temperatures regularly exceeded 35C in the shade very aware of the hot steering wheel syndrome, however even worse is when wearing shorts jumping into a car that has leather seats! Amazing how quickly you can exit the car. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Save my battery as no need to switch on the heated steering wheel switch. Coming from a country where temperatures regularly exceeded 35C in the shade very aware of the hot steering wheel syndrome, however even worse is when wearing shorts jumping into a car that has leather seats! Amazing how quickly you can exit the car. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Ah so ! The origins of Hot Pants surfaces🤪

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I knew the towels were no joke!

This from todays Daily Express on line

Motorists have been told to place a common household towel over their steering wheels this weekend with the key component set to be “unbearable to touch” due to the weather.

Temperatures are set to rise this weekend and into early next week which could cause havoc for road users with leather steering wheels.
Wow, how have motorists managed since the early 1900s. Surprised that there was no advice to cover the seats too so those who wear skirts or shorts, or kilts don’t get discomforted.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Wow, how have motorists managed since the early 1900s. Surprised that there was no advice to cover the seats too so those who wear skirts or shorts, or kilts don’t get discomforted.
In the Jeep the seats have built in air conditioning so great for the Scots. LOL! :ROFLMAO:

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I've never had any reason to think about security. All the caravans on the storage site where I keep mine are without hitchlocks and 9 times out of 10 when I go there the gate is open.

I went to the storage site yesterday evening to get something out of the caravan. It was already dark when I arrived, but the gates were wide open. So much for security. I did lock them though when I left.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Before we sold our last caravan at storage site where it was kept there was a break in, it had all the security you needed but they still did some damage on some vans the gates were always shut .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts